Spyder Garage

Default F3 tool kit and more?

I have had my Spyder for nearly a year now and it has been great. I have never had to do anything to it and am anticipating the first service, oil change and whatever. I was wondering what tools people carry on their machines for roadside type repairs. Currently, I carry a tire pump from LaMonster, a tire plug kit and a set of jumper cables. What else should I consider carrying?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Removed large block of colour so that everyone can read... :-/
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Spyder Garage

F3 Tool Kit.

A first aid kit would be good, and perhaps a screwdriver with various torx and allen bits.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:28 PM.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I have a jumper pack/charger, zip ties, duct tape pliers and adjustable wrench along with the plug kit and air supply. There is not much you can repair road-side and the Spyder tool kit has the basics. You could add more depending on space and abilities or cell phone and credit card....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

In addition to what you and others have mentioned, I carry a Gerber brand Leatherman type tool, 1/4" ratchet, 6" extension and T-27, T-30 torx bits plus a 10mm socket. I also invested in a Rugged Geek battery jump pack from Lamonster. On long trips I add a couple of headlight bulbs (haven't yet gone to LEDs) and spare fuses.

Oh, I also carry a couple of shop rags and a couple of pairs of nitrile gloves.
    Last edited by JayBros; 03-25-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add stuff
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The best tool kit additions IMO: A well loaded credit card, and a portable phone.

Not much you can do with the tool kit if you have a major breakdown.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Is this overkill on tools and spares?

​I'm flabbergasted!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Speedsterjohnny View Post
    I have had my Spyder for nearly a year now and it has been great. I have never had to do anything to it and am anticipating the first service, oil change and whatever. I was wondering what tools people carry on their machines for roadside type repairs. Currently, I carry a tire pump from LaMonster, a tire plug kit and a set of jumper cables. What else should I consider carrying?
    A fire extinguisher I've taken out of the original box then wrapped in bubble wrap and a fire blanket which both now live in my left side pannier on my F3-T ... (both for under $25 in total ...) Then of course my mobile phone ..... Been too many cases of people being trapped in cars on fire and everyone yelling and screaming with no way to assist. Just seems logical to me! Surely everything else should be an after-thought by comparison to saving a life?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Even though the 1330 doesn't use oil I still carry a quart of it. Hold over from the 998 I guess. But... you can run out of gas a bunch of times. You can run out of oil only once.
    Pat
    SIGPIC]2

2016 F3T Lamonster RIP boards, fog lights, Longhorn mirror lights, power plate. SpyderPops skid plate. Painted the silver air intake and grill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    In addition to what you and others have mentioned, I carry a Gerber brand Leatherman type tool, 1/4" ratchet, 6" extension and T-27, T-30 torx bits plus a 10mm socket. I also invested in a Rugged Geek battery jump pack from Lamonster. On long trips I add a couple of headlight bulbs (haven't yet gone to LEDs) and spare fuses.
    What kind of fuses (size and amperage) do you suggest carrying as spares?

Doesn't the RT have spares in the fuse block itself?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What kind of fuses (size and amperage) do you suggest carrying as spares?

Doesn't the RT have spares in the fuse block itself?
    There is one spare each 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 in each fuse box.

I purchased a Littlefuse pkg from Auto Zone that has a 3, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 plus a little extractor too for the big fingers.

To a certain extent it's unnecessary overkill because if something causes a fuse to blow and you insert another that blows you have a situation that's probably something like a short to ground and you're unlikely to find it on the side of the road. That said, with all the extra lights some folks have added to their Spyders and unknown quality of installlation work water intrusion could be a problem that one might be able to diagnose and temporarily repair with electrical tape and new fuses. Don't really know, but a spare package of fuses doesn't take any significant room in the kit.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S