Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I won’t ride when....

As a former private pilot there was a checklist of things that would need to be considered that would help to determine whether to or not to fly. Medical condition, weather that I was not trained for or the plane wasn’t certified for, alcohol (obviously) etc.

As a beginner 2 and 3 wheeler I’m curious as to what personal rules people have to decide to ride or not if you don’t mind passing along the wisdom.

As always, thanks for making me a better rider.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Well there is the safety data card you are suppose to check & follow before you can even start a spyder. ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) I believe is the acronym just please nothing embarrassing to the likes of swim ware or less & no flip flops! For ryding, after you reach your location np. By all means no alcohol goes without saying however some may feel about it hope this is good enough start also suggest a motorcycle training course will cover & train you for more.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Check list

Been ryding for over 30 years. On each and every ryde I check the following: tires pressure for all three tires, brake lights to make sure they work and can be seen, check both turn signals for both sides to make sure they can be seen and are working and finally make sure all necessary running lights are working. Clean front windshield and take water, if hot and then enjoy the ryde.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Aside from the normal routine of checking the byke over and your gear before heading out, the one thing I think more folks should check is that "inner voice". Sometimes I am supposed to ryde on a given day and for some reason I'm just not "feelin" it that day or even the day before, I'll skip it. There have been times that I have embarked and down the road and felt "unsettled" or whatever and cut the ride short and headed home.... It only takes a moment of distraction to have things go pear shaped in a hurry.....
    Last edited by hypurone; 03-24-2018 at 12:25 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed....

The safety check is a given. Now because of the risks of being on the road I find the personal well being is the most important. You need to be at your best and in a good mood to ryde. Weather would be the next. If there is possible bad weather will you be comfortable in it and how long could you be fighting it. Destination, if on a group ryde, do you really want to go there or would you be happier on your own ryde to the unknown. Company is nice but the road needs to be enjoyable as well. Traveling the same path all the time does not keep you on your toes. JMO hope it helps because there is more room in the sky for misccalculations... for now anyway....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    As a former private pilot there was a checklist of things that would need to be considered that would help to determine whether to or not to fly. Medical condition, weather that I was not trained for or the plane wasn’t certified for, alcohol (obviously) etc. As a beginner 2 and 3 wheeler I’m curious as to what personal rules people have to decide to ride or not if you don’t mind passing along the wisdom. As always, thanks for making me a better rider.
    This is a good question and I think most of the responses miss the point. Hopefully we'll get some more, relevant responses.
    I hadn't really thought about it before, so I might add to it later, but for now: I won't ride when;

• The road surface is or will be slippery (ice and snow)
    • The visibility is compromised (fog, etc)
    • The rain is expected to be heavy enough to impair safe riding (see first two)
    • It is dangerously hot and there is no way to escape the heat
    • I have to ride very far in heavy, metro traffic (I'm spoiled living in the west)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

As a former private pilot there was a checklist of things that would need to be considered that would help to determine whether to or not to fly. Medical condition, weather that I was not trained for or the plane wasn’t certified for, alcohol (obviously) etc.

As a beginner 2 and 3 wheeler I’m curious as to what personal rules people have to decide to ride or not if you don’t mind passing along the wisdom.

have you bought your spyder yet?

Spyder Garage

Appreciate those Pete and I admit I’m finding all the responses useful. One of the reasons I asked the question was to draw on everyone’s experience. I took the safety course 3 years ago. Probably wouldn’t hurt to take it again and I’ve heard BRP has one specifically for the Spyder.

As for inner voice I had to pay attention to that every time I flew. I didn’t expect that to come up for bike rides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Snow and ice are the only things that have stopped me. I suppose if I knew there were tornado warnings I would get off the road but so far that hasn’t happened.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    have you bought your spyder yet?
    Nope, not that there haven’t been some good deals either. I need to get the SO on a demo ride. I may in my enthusiasm have moved a little quicker than my wife was comfortable with . Wouldn’t be the first time in 24 years of marriage. Plus we just haven’t been around much the last month or so. We’ll get there.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Aside from keeping my ride properly maintained I do what pilots call a "walk around". Check the tires visually for objects (nails, etc.) and proper inflation. Make sure everything is in its proper place (since "little people" sometimes get aboard between rides) and any fluid leaks. And when firing up and backing out I look to ensure all the lights are lit. Then the most important thing.....

I always begin my rides slow and pay particular attention to the bike sounds and handling. If it doesn't sound or feel right I head right back and check it out. Interestingly, I do the same with my cages. Not just the first ride of the day but everything I start a ride. Even if it is just to the local store.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Aside from keeping my ride properly maintained I do what pilots call a "walk around". Check the tires visually for objects (nails, etc.) and proper inflation. Make sure everything is in its proper place (since "little people" sometimes get aboard between rides) and any fluid leaks. And when firing up and backing out I look to ensure all the lights are lit. Then the most important thing.....

I always begin my rides slow and pay particular attention to the bike sounds and handling. If it doesn't sound or feel right I head right back and check it out. Interestingly, I do the same with my cages. Not just the first ride of the day but everything I start a ride. Even if it is just to the local store.
    Given from what I’m reading that most folks aren’t terribly thrilled with the stock tires the tire pressure seems to be a pretty critical thing for ride comfort.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Given from what I’m reading that most folks aren’t terribly thrilled with the stock tires the tire pressure seems to be a pretty critical thing for ride comfort.
    When it comes right down to it, the only consensus on tires is that the rear tire doesn't last as long as folks would like. Having to change the rear tire with every oil change (on a 1330) can be a real hassle and expense. But, the stock tires at their recommended pressure perform their job well in terms of gripping the road and providing a comfortable ride.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default riding

Lots of good info already said ........ So my criteria now ( at 71 ) is ... I ride when it's enjoyable, not saying I don't ever ride in the rain or when it gets cooler. But I Don't ride to prove it can be done ...so what !!!....... ride safe ride happy .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-24-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: sentenance correction

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Once the roads have had the salt and brine washed off of them...)

I have just one question:
    "Is my heart still beating?"

If it is: it's time to go for a ride!

If it isn't: I guess I'll call out sick from work...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I can't see, feel, breath, hear, stand up on my own, walk a straight line (without falling down), pay for gas, remember where the keys are, or how to fire up my spyder, I may not ride and just go back to bed. However, into day's world your FOBOs and instrument cluster are going to go through your manifest for you, providing your batteries are all up. From my long ago days of dirt biking none of the above were enough to keep anyone from riding. Someone was always ready to share gas with you and nothing but a flat tire could stop you, unless of course you were in second place, and then a flat may not even slow you down. If you don't think any of this is true, just text my wife and ask her. Even if my wife was in the hospital and I was in charge of the kids, they all came along and worked as my pit crew and then they took turns riding two up with me. Well.......that last part was somewhat of a truth twister. If I or my wife were in the hospital I'd probably not ride. But, the kids playing pit crew and riding two up with me happened more than just once, when my wife wasn't around. Seriously though, common sense, that little Jiminy Cricket in your head will keep you safe if you listen; and that goes even if you are standing still or moving at what seems to be light speed. Just be safe out there and watch out for the safety of your fellow riders.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default No Ryde Day

All very good TIPS. I do not ryde of I Can Not get my Helmet on. RYDE Safe and Be SAFE.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm still playing with my tire pressures and haven't found a sweet spot quite yet. The alignment helped a lot but didn't solve the twichy steering completely. I am glad that most of the roads I ride do not have tar strips on them or I would have probably gotten rid of the Spyder by now. I cannot imagine riding this thing on bad surfaces.

I have only 2,700 miles on the Spyder now so not enough miles to evaluate the wear of the rear tire. From what everyone is saying I can expect it to need replacement by 5-6,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

All very good tips so far.

I would also add--don't ride angry. It can happen sometimes.

Weather is also a determining factor for me. Rode east across SD one summer being chased by a front which included tornadoes. The front and the tornadoes were about 25 miles behind us when we started out and our 85 mph speed soon put them behind us. PS--everyone was going that fast including the Highway Patrol. 1980's
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-24-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My Best advice is....

Hi
    Since you live in my home town of San Francisco (Rincon) I would say you
    should visit the San Francisco Motorcycle Club they have been around since 1903
    they have many members who can give you current up to date info on anything
    motorcycle. I would also RUN not walk to your phone and dial 1-800=AMA-JOIN
    there you will get super information and discounts on insurance and more.. just
    like the AOPA, I know yo know what that is.
    Ride safe
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There was a time, (in the 90's, I think,) that I stopped riding for a while. I just was not feeling comfortable. Later on, I realized it was a ongoing case of mild vertigo that was responsible for that discomfort. I got treatment, and resumed riding little by little.

In retrospect, it's good to know that when I cant ride I won't ride.

I think.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Salt on the roads here generally means snow or ice, that keeps me off the ride. Other wise, Im riding. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi
    Since you live in my home town of San Francisco (Rincon) I would say you
    should visit the San Francisco Motorcycle Club they have been around since 1903
    they have many members who can give you current up to date info on anything
    motorcycle. I would also RUN not walk to your phone and dial 1-800=AMA-JOIN
    there you will get super information and discounts on insurance and more.. just
    like the AOPA, I know yo know what that is.
    Ride safe
    Dave
    Thanks Dave, and yeah a long history with AOPA.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi
    Since you live in my home town of San Francisco (Rincon) ...
    Leftcoast lives up that way but I live in Tempe, AZ. Home of Arizona State University and Big Surf!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I'm still playing with my tire pressures and haven't found a sweet spot quite yet. The alignment helped a lot but didn't solve the twichy steering completely. I am glad that most of the roads I ride do not have tar strips on them or I would have probably gotten rid of the Spyder by now. I cannot imagine riding this thing on bad surfaces.

I have only 2,700 miles on the Spyder now so not enough miles to evaluate the wear of the rear tire. From what everyone is saying I can expect it to need replacement by 5-6,000 miles.
    '

PM sent...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic