Spyder Garage

Default Dropped Kuhmo rear PSI to 18

So........ I dropped the Kuhmo rear pressure to 18psi. I noticed no drastic difference, but it certainly felt grippier (butt feel only......but since I have a big butt, my “butt feel” counts for a lot more than most) on the wet/dry roads on which I ventured out, which included corner puddles, and the usual Aussie abseiling depth potholes

Now I am a really, really fast rider so I really gave the tyres a workout. Actually, that last bit was a lie, but at least I only let one tortoise and NO snails overtake me this time.....those snail trails can be very slippery if you get behind them.

The funny thing is that both the rear and the fronts are now running at 18psi, and FOBO showed the front tyre psi going up by only 2psi after an hours riding, while the rear went up by a full 4psi.

I’ll certainly be staying with 18psi all round for a while.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have mine at 16 cold. Fronts are higher as I like easier steering at 22...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Pete, that is what I am running. 18 PSI in all 3. I couldn't be happier.......until I find something better
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 18 psi

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So........ I dropped the Kuhmo rear pressure to 18psi. I noticed no drastic difference, but it certainly felt grippier (butt feel only......but since I have a big butt, my “butt feel” counts for a lot more than most) on the wet/dry roads on which I ventured out, which included corner puddles, and the usual Aussie abseiling depth potholes

Now I am a really, really fast rider so I really gave the tyres a workout. Actually, that last bit was a lie, but at least I only let one tortoise and NO snails overtake me this time.....those snail trails can be very slippery if you get behind them.

The funny thing is that both the rear and the fronts are now running at 18psi, and FOBO showed the front tyre psi going up by only 2psi after an hours riding, while the rear went up by a full 4psi.

Pete
    Pete, remember what Peter Aawen said in an earlier post ... The people who will feel a definite change are the ones who are at 26psi ( in car tires ) and above ...... I believe you went from 20psi to now 18psi .... a small amount so the immed.feel is also going to be small....... Both Peter A. and I believe in the science behind PSI .... Almost everyone I have ever known that has put a louder free-flow muffler on there ride has claimed the power increase was fantastic .... some then had their ride DYNO-ed ...and discovered they actually lost power..... Feelings are just that feelings ....they are NOT Fact .....just sayin ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-24-2018 at 12:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I couldn't be happier.......until I find something better
    Hahahaha......YEP, me too

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Pete, remember what Peter Aawen said in an earlier post ... The people who will feel a definite change are the ones who are at 26psi ( in car tires ) and above ...... I believe you went from 20psi to now 18psi .... a small amount so the immed.feel is also going to be small....... Both Peter A. and I believe in the science behind PSI .... Almost everyone I have ever known that has put a louder free-flow muffler on there ride has claimed the power increase was fantastic .... some then had their ride DYNO-ed ...and discovered they actually lost power..... Feelings are just that feelings ....they are NOT Fact .....just sayin ..... Mike
    Are you insulting my butt, Mike? .....yeah that all fits. I did believe I noticed a change though, and that ties in with the fact that my rear psi did indeed increase by around 4psi after an hour or so, even though I only dropped the cold pressure from 21 to 18psi.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    This is good to hear. I had a kuhmo on my 2014 RT, and will be putting one on my F3T real soon. I also will be varying the pressure to see what happens. Good to see you tried it and are happy. I will definitely keep that in mind.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I would think, (I DO NOT KNOW) that with 18 PSI in the rear you would run the risk of the tire popping off the rim .

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I would think, (I DO NOT KNOW) that with 18 PSI in the rear you would run the risk of the tire popping off the rim .

Cruzr Joe
    Joe,

I have been running 18# in the rear for a year now and if twice the posted speed in curves has not popped it off the rim I do not beleive it will ever happen.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Joe,

I have been running 18# in the rear for a year now and if twice the posted speed in curves has not popped it off the rim I do not beleive it will ever happen.

Les

Les

Good to hear that, i was really kind of curious if someone had rode like that for awhile or if this was something new, thanks for your input.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BEAD PRESSURE FAILURE

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Cruzr Joe
    I have reported this Fact at least a dozen times here, but since you missed it ...I inadvertently ran my Michelin at ......8 psi ....for about 15 miles on a dirt/gravel road .... and didn't have a bead failure ..... at 18 psi it just isn't going to fail ......Mike