Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Arachnid Tire wear progress

Without solicitation or provocation: I installed one of the old generation Arachnid brand rear tires on my F3. At 5500 miles, it is wearing flat across the tread. I'm sure they'll be haters and do betterers, but this is a good tire made for a MC application, at a fair price, readily available via order, that is by far of the 3 brands I've tried, wearing per expectations. And I am not easy on tires.

Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default Nice....

I have about 7,000 on my arachnid and can't complain. I have had two Kendas that averaged 17,000 each with no problems. I will see how the arachnid does but so far so good. True this is not the place to mention such things....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have about 7,000 on my arachnid and can't complain. I have had two Kendas that averaged 17,000 each with no problems. I will see how the arachnid does but so far so good. True this is not the place to mention such things....
    I use to wonder how so many got the miles out of the OEM tires. Our roads here in Mississippi eats tires up. Very abrasive roads. Have several buddies like myself would only get 7000 miles out of a tire. One is a lady driver and her husband and they drive very conservative. So a lot depends on road condition for the tires. I know I would hate to have road rash from our roads. Would be like a meat grinder. Getting ready to install another tire. This time is a Yokohama S drive 205/55/15. Will see how it goes. Had one on my wife's bike and it handled super in wet and dry conditions.
    David

Spyder Garage

This IS the place to mention such things. How else are we going to learn about what is out there for our bikes. That is what this site is all about isn't it? If not then it is time for me to go. Yeah, you are going to catch a bunch of crap, but who cares. I run a car tire and I am happy with it, but that doesn't mean you have to. When OTHERS pay for my tires and parts then OTHERS can tell me what to buy. Run your Kendas and Arachnids if you like them and tell the OTHERS to go eat a bug.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The Arachnid tire

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Without solicitation or provocation: I installed one of the old generation Arachnid brand rear tires on my F3. At 5500 miles, it is wearing flat across the tread. I'm sure they'll be haters and do betterers, but this is a good tire made for a MC application, at a fair price, readily available via order, that is by far of the 3 brands I've tried, wearing per expectations. And I am not easy on tires.

Wayne
    Thanks for your input and thanks for the photo ..... I have a Michelin Hydro-Edge on the rear and it's actually a tad better looking than your Arachnid .... I have over 36,000 miles on the Michelin .... So get back to us when get near that mileage , so we can compare ......................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-23-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default You're right....

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I use to wonder how so many got the miles out of the OEM tires. Our roads here in Mississippi eats tires up. Very abrasive roads. Have several buddies like myself would only get 7000 miles out of a tire. One is a lady driver and her husband and they drive very conservative. So a lot depends on road condition for the tires. I know I would hate to have road rash from our roads. Would be like a meat grinder. Getting ready to install another tire. This time is a Yokohama S drive 205/55/15. Will see how it goes. Had one on my wife's bike and it handled super in wet and dry conditions.
    David
    So much has to do with road conditions, weather, ryding styles and the model spyder... Do hear good things about the Yokahamas...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

I have about 10K on my Arachnid and it is holding up well. Still lots of tread left, way better than the Kenda. But then a dishwashing rubber glove would be better than a Kenda.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default And I do anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    This IS the place to mention such things. How else are we going to learn about what is out there for our bikes. That is what this site is all about isn't it? If not then it is time for me to go. Yeah, you are going to catch a bunch of crap, but who cares. I run a car tire and I am happy with it, but that doesn't mean you have to. When OTHERS pay for my tires and parts then OTHERS can tell me what to buy. Run your Kendas and Arachnids if you like them and tell the OTHERS to go eat a bug.
    I do every time asked, even after reading all the posts about things here I will still go out and try for myself. Have not been disappointed with my choices. So stay with us I can take the flack and know there is a lot to take into consideration...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

curious,
    does the Arachnid say anything on the sidewall about being a special motorcycle tire?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    curious,
    does the Arachnid say anything on the sidewall about being a special motorcycle tire?
    http://www.spydercomfort.com/tires.htm
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

So much has to do with road conditions, weather, ryding styles and the model spyder... Do hear good things about the Yokahamas...
    Had put one on my wife's bike and we had 7 of us on a trip and got into some serious rain. She was the only bike that didn't hydro plane. I was worried about her because she was still pretty new in her riding skills. Nice looking tire with good rain grooves. It's a softer compound tire. Will see how it does on mileage. I do ride pretty aggressive. Still think I'm a young fellow. Guess I need to slow down and smell the roses.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default chow

I'm staying out of tire talk until I see traction tests conducted.
    I'm not changing from my trusted Kenda tires because I might get a few more miles out of another brand.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post

good info, thanks
    will be considering the Arachnid.
    I will have to educate my dealer before he will install a non-Kenda tire.
    So I still need to know if it says anything on the sidewall like the Kenda says regarding a special motorcycle tire.
    Maybe someone who uses these could go look at their sidewall and see?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wayne, that’s great that you like the tire but you’re paying almost twice what you would for a car tire, I really doubt the traction is better, you likely won’t get nearly the same mileage out of it and now we all know the “special motorcycle use” designation is BS.

I’m glad they made improvements to the Arachnid but it is still made by an inferior manufacturer, Vee Rubber. Our local motorcycle tire shop absolutely will not mount a Vee Rubber tire on any motorcycle.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Every time I see a new thread about tires I look to see if someone has mounted a UHP (Ultra High Perf) tire on a bike or Can-Am. A UHP on a car will RADICALLY change it's driving and handling characteristics. All I ever read about are mid-grade all-season tires. I know the best tires (Michelin Pilot SuperSports and others) don't come in the appropriate sizes, but there must be some UHP tire that does. A UHP tire would get less mileage than an all-season, but would still give many more miles than a MC tire. an all-season on a sportscar will feel very "sloppy" compared to an UHP tire. Replace the MPSS on a ZO6 with all-seasons and on your first drive you'll think your suspension has gotten loose! I would think that UHP precision and responsivness would be a great perk for an F3. (UHP wet weather performance has improved tremendously in the last few years.) Go to Tirerack.com to read reviews of UHP tires in our sizes and maybe someone here will make the jump. (my wife only has 6K miles on her F3 now, so tires aren't in our near future)
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Welcome from the land of between the rock and the hard place.

Here, I am stuck with OEM Kenda and do not have a choice. Not mechanical enough to mess with the back tires--so stuck with OEM.

That said, there are a lot of choices out there for most of you. Lots of brands to choose from and it's your choice and $$$.

I know there are better tires, but am stuck with OEM Kenda. I consistently get between 13K and 15k on the rear tires. Only one exception, I got 8.9K out of the "softer" rubber compound on the 2014 OEM. Currently have almost 15K on the "newer" version.

Fronts: I get 20K to 25K on them consistently--(over 5 different spyders).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I'm staying out of tire talk until I see traction tests conducted.
    I'm not changing from my trusted Kenda tires because I might get a few more miles out of another brand.
    Road-Kill, you seem to have a fixation that people are only putting other than Kenda on their Spyders because they will get a ‘few more miles out of another brand”. If you read most of the posts, you will find that longer tyre life is NOT the major reason that people are switching, although that can certainly be one of the benefits. Most are switching because they feel more comfortable and get better performance on a better made tyre. I, for one, would be quite happy to get the same miles as a Kenda out of a car tyre that gave me better performance and made me feel safer. Your assumption that everyone who switches to a car tyre is a cheapskate chasing better mileage is simply incorrect.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All this talk comes from people who are only talking mileage and "feel"......never traction.
    Mileage is based on facts and is a good thing.
    "feel" is not based on facts and way too opinionated to be of anyone's value.
    You mention performance.......
    Performance also includes traction but that's taboo in this forum for reasons unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Road-Kill, you seem to have a fixation that people are only putting other than Kenda on their Spyders because they will get a ‘few more miles out of another brand”. If you read most of the posts, you will find that longer tyre life is NOT the major reason that people are switching, although that can certainly be one of the benefits. Most are switching because they feel more comfortable and get better performance on a better made tyre. I, for one, would be quite happy to get the same miles as a Kenda out of a car tyre that gave me better performance and made me feel safer. Your assumption that everyone who switches to a car tyre is a cheapskate chasing better mileage is simply incorrect.

Pete

Spyder Garage

All this talk comes from people who are only talking mileage and "feel"......never traction.
    Performance also includes traction but that's taboo in this forum for reasons unknown.
    Not really, its just harder to test. One of the biggest reasons I wanted something better than the Kenda was for better traction. The F3 lights up the rear tire very easily. Spinning does not make for quick acceleration.

I did try a Yokomama UHP tire, the A008 and while traction was good, longevity was less than I was willing to recommend, 3000 miles. Went to the S-Drive Yoko, still better traction than the Kenda although not what the A008 offered. About 18k miles is average on the S drive on a Spyder. For me and many of my customers, its been the best combination of handling, noise, traction, longevity and price. Everyone's desired features are not the same, some do prefer the general passenger tires for longer life at the expense of traction and handling.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

My Kenda hydroplaned terribly in wet conditions. My General Altimax doesn't. Not about mileage or longevity for me, it is about being able to ride in adverse conditions without fear of losing control. Is that traction related enough for ya?
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe Kenny Butler is using a UHP tire on the rear of his spyder. Being he is in Florida I'm sure wet performance is a factor as well.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OPINIONS - COMMENTS OR FACTS

All this talk comes from people who are only talking mileage and "feel"......never traction.....Wrong - every tire that I have recommended has been performance oriented - wet and dry performance ...... this means TRACTION !!!!!!!
    I don't rely on BUTT feelings ....they are very unreliable ..... Science rules ................Mike

Spyder Garage

It is? We must be reading different threads.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What science?
    Where?
    Please cite the field tests conducted showing various tires and their braking distances on a Spyder. (that's called science)
    You cant because it doesn't exist.......muh feelings is not science.
    There are probably much better tires then Kendas but until I see the science..........................

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't rely on BUTT feelings ....they are very unreliable ..... Science rules ................Mike

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I agree, science has a lot of value. However, when a race car driver is on the track, whether NASCAR, or INDY style cars, the driver is in constant communication with the crew chief on how the car is handling. What the drive BUT feels in the handling of the car can cause a tire change, suspension change, or any other multiple of things.
    All of us have driven long enough to know when the Spyder we are riding handles on the corners better with one tire or another. We follow the science of the tires traction rating on wet and dry roads, the maximum load rating, and then the but feeling of how it handles on the road as I ride.
    Just like in my car, I have had people recommended a tire to me, I tried it and did not like the feel on the road, so I changed.
    You can also have two tires that according to science, have all of the exact same rating for traction, load, and wear, yet they feel totally different from each other in handling when installed.
    I installed a tire under Mike's, Peter's and other people recommendation, I didn't like the wet traction with it. I was told to lower the air pressure on it to improve the wet traction, they have done that and it worked for them. I tried it and it worked for me also. I follow the 4 PSI rule from cold to hot, and have had zero complaints or problems with the tire.
    Better traction, wet and dry, better ride, and so far better wear mileage.

Science is a must, but experience and an established history of that experience will go a long way in my book.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 03-27-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue