Spyder Garage

Default Related to trikes, a bit

Cited from History.com, I can't remember how many Speed specials I've watched that covered CB's attempts and successes.

March 23rd, 1937 Craig Breedlove, land-speed record holder, born

On this day in 1937, Craig Breedlove, the first person to reach land speeds of 400mph, 500 mph and 600 mph in a jet-powered vehicle, is born.

Breedlove was raised in Southern California, where as a teenager he built cars and was a drag racer. As a young man, he designed a three-wheeled, rocket-shaped vehicle powered by a surplus military J-47 plane engine and dubbed it the Spirit of America. On October 5, 1963, Breedlove became the fastest man on wheels when he recorded an average speed of more than 407 mph in the Spirit of America at Utah’s Bonneville Salt Flats. Located approximately 100 miles west of Salt Lake City, the Bonneville Salt Flats are a hard, flat 30,000-acre expanse formed from an ancient evaporated lake. In 1914, Teddy Tezlaff set an auto speed record at Bonneville, driving 141.73 mph in a Blitzen Benz. By the late 1940s, Bonneville had become the standard place for setting and breaking world land-speed records and has since attracted drivers from around the globe who compete in a number of automotive and motorcycle divisions.

On November 2, 1965, Breedlove set a new record at Bonneville, driving 555.485 mph in the four-wheeled, jet-powered Spirit of America Sonic 1. Shortly after that, on November 15 of the same year, he set another new record with an average speed of 600.601 mph at Bonneville. According to Salon.com: “At a time when drag racing was the fastest-growing sport in the United States, Craig Breedlove was a hero. While his speed records won him the kudos of his racing brethren, his matinee-idol good looks assured him photo spreads in national magazines.” The Beach Boys even wrote a song about Breedlove’s daring, called “Spirit of America.”

In October 1970, Gary Gabelich broke Breedlove’s record with a speed of 622.4 mph. In the mid-1970s, Breedlove took a break from racing and embarked on a career in real-estate, but he eventually returned to racing. In 1997, Breedlove tried unsuccessfully to top the 700 mph mark. Instead, that year Britain’s Andy Green broke the sound barrier and set a record of 763 mph. In 2006, Breedlove sold the Spirit of America to Steve Fossett, a wealthy adventurer.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ahh...

The battle between Craig Breedlove and Art Arfons was epic. Money VS enginuity and dedication. Still hard to believe Art built the green monster for $10,000. Remember when The Spirit of America took a header into the lake.. thought it was all over.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    On October 5, 1963, Breedlove became the fastest man on wheels when he recorded an average speed of more than 407 mph in the Spirit of America at Utah’s Bonneville Salt Flats.
    I remember coming back to my home port of Long Beach and seeing posters all over the place about Breedlove breaking the land speed record. It must have been this attempt. I had no idea who he was at that time. I did follow Art Arfons career in his jet powered dragster though. It was quite a sight in those days.