Spyder Garage

Default Opinions -what do I want on a new F3?

When I got my present STS, after reading messages on this forum I had a laser alignment, and a bumpskid and a swaybar added. Now I'm going to be getting a new F3-T and I started to wonder about getting the same done on the new F3. When I asked the people at the dealer, the opinion was that they are very careful on the alignment, and that the other things aren't really needed due to the better quality construction of the newer machines.
    Now that I think of it, I haven't been seeing discussion on these subjects; I suppose the answer might be just to get them later if I feel that they are needed. What is your opinion?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChocEnabler View Post
    When I got my present STS, after reading messages on this forum I had a laser alignment, and a bumpskid and a swaybar added. Now I'm going to be getting a new F3-T and I started to wonder about getting the same done on the new F3. When I asked the people at the dealer, the opinion was that they are very careful on the alignment, and that the other things aren't really needed due to the better quality construction of the newer machines.
    Now that I think of it, I haven't been seeing discussion on these subjects; I suppose the answer might be just to get them later if I feel that they are needed. What is your opinion?
    My opinion is to go with what I quoted in bold. I have a 2016 F3-T (bought new just last year). Granted that I had no experience with a Spyder before, but after a few months, I felt that it was pulling to one side and dipping more than I was comfortable with in the twisties. So, I had both a laser alignment done and the BajaRon sway bar installed. They made quite a difference IMO - but your mileage may vary.

I would hold off awhile and see how things "feel" before deciding what to do.

Note: I have no experience with regard to the bumpskid.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

What do you want on a new F3 ? Your rear end. Everything else is just a farkle.
    Happy trails.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the thoughts!

Spyder Garage

I have the F3T 2016, I think it's a great bike right from the start. I had 0 experience on the Spyder so it was all new to me. After riding it about 2000 miles I had the Laser alignment, and added the Elka front shocks. I stopped adding a lot of extras back in 2012 on my Yamaha Tenere 1200, I got a bit carried away and the guy I sold it to got a great deal since the extras really don't add much value. As I get older I think I am happy with keeping the toys mostly stock. The F3 T is really nice bike. Have fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    What do you want on a new F3 ? Your rear end. Everything else is just a farkle.
    Happy trails.
    The Farkling can start later.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My advice on similar posts is to give it a thousand miles or so before doing any mechanical "upgrades."

Pretty things and more lights are always good--anytime.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had an ST that I added the sway bar to. The difference was huge!!! IMO it was absolutely necessary.
    Now I'm on my 2nd F3 and I've done the sway bar to both. While they both were better handling stock than the ST was with the upgraded sway bar, I still like the improvement. I think if you ride 2-up(which I do a lot) it's almost necessary on the F3 too.
    I should mention I'm an "aggressive" rider, and handling is very important to me.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue