Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with fuse so I can charge from the trunk

NOTE: When fuse 6 is installed, 12 V power outlet is only operational when ignition switch is at ON position. When fuse 7 is installed, 12 V power outlet is always operational.

I get my 2017 RT-S today and want to make sure I get the correct fuse changed so I can charge my battery using the outlet in the trunk. It seems this fuse movement is different than on my 2014 RT-L. I copied the above from the 2017 manual. So, do I move #6 over to #7? Thanks.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default YES

YES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Doc.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BUT......that may not be necessary.
    My '17 RT came with an SAE battery "tail" already connected to the battery, which now resides right behind the Frunk; upper right hand corner.
    I think there is even a zipper there.
    Have a look at that before you go messing with the fuses.

I don't know if it came from the factory like that or if the dealer installed it.

P.S. IF.....you ride at least an hour every two weeks or so, there should be NO need to constantly charge the battery.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-23-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Easy, but I have a cigarette lighter plug on my Deltron and just plug it in as I unload my trunk after riding. I changed the 5 amp fuse, left box from the front of scoot, moved #6 to empty slot #7. Easier than opening the frunk, etc, at least for me. Charged the new battery all night to bring it up to 100% as dealer batteries sit and are seldom charged more then 80%.....I also change out my battery every three years whether it needs it or not. I ride west Texas and if you get stuck in Redford or Terlingua, TX. with a motorcycle problem you die a slow death. No cell service where I often ride and little or no maintenance available....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    Thanks Easy, but I have a cigarette lighter plug on my Deltron and just plug it in as I unload my trunk after riding.
    I've said this before but maybe it's worth repeating:

IF.....you plug in a tender every time the vehicle sits in your "garage"......that will pretty much assure that it will start every time, in the security and comfort of your home. Even if the charging system is effectively dead or the battery is getting weak.

THEN......you ride out into the west Texas desert and stop for lunch. It won't start to get you back home.

Of course, if you blindly change out the battery every 3 years, it probably doesn't really make any difference WHAT you do with it.