Spyder Garage

Default Worst sound in airplane....nothing!

Spyder Garage

Default So it would seem....

Must have been a gag on the passenger if there was one, but he was never in danger in a bi-plane with all the open ground...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is why the Eisenhower Administration mandated that the interstate highway system have long straight highways. So failed aircraft could land on them. (True story).
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I had that happen to me once. I was a paying passenger in a commercial airliner, a small twin-engine prop plane. We were travelling from DFW airport to College Station, TX. As a passenger I was setting in the co-pilot's seat. When we were at about 1,000 feet on approach to land the pilot hadn't changed from the wing tanks to the main tanks yet and both engines ran out of fuel and quit. The pilot reached across and flipped some switches on the panel in front of me and at about 50 feet above the pasture the engines started back up, we climbed back up to the guide-slope and then landed. Except for some whimpering from the passengers behind me, it was very very quiet in the aircraft...
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That wasn't "moments before crashing." He'd already have picked out a landing spot. It's part of the private pilot initial training. He was in a controlled decent toward a road.

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    This is why the Eisenhower Administration mandated that the interstate highway system have long straight highways. So failed aircraft could land on them. (True story).
    It was mostly so military aircraft could put down anywhere. A certain percentage (don't know the figure) of miles of interstate have to have a mile of straight road without obstruction.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He definitely had his "Plan-B" all picked out.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There is at least one worse sound.....the sound of tree branches hitting the undercarriage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At that point: it's all over ...

...Except for the screams!

Spyder Garage

Hi RinconRyder,

Re: There is at least one worse sound.....the sound of tree branches hitting the undercarriage.

Been there, done that:

Airplane Crunch.jpg

And an even worse sound is of crunching metal.

I am living on bonus time,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ouch!!

I don't know how you survived it: I'm glad that you did!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi RinconRyder,

Re: There is at least one worse sound.....the sound of tree branches hitting the undercarriage.

Been there, done that:

Airplane Crunch.jpg

And an even worse sound is of crunching metal.

I am living on bonus time,

Jerry Baumchen
    Me too....in a Huey. The sound does not last as long in a helo (and helo's do not bounce off tree branches).

Spyder Garage

Glad plan "B" worked out. This was probably a set up to show the process.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Me too....in a Huey. The sound does not last as long in a helo (and helo's do not bounce off tree branches).
    Helicopters fall a lot better than they glide!

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: I don't know how you survived it

Neither do I. It happened on the evening of 17 Sep 67 & I can still see the blades of grass coming up at us.

I absolutely knew that I was dead. All three of us survived; it simply was not our time.

Jerry Baumchen

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I figured out why you survived it:

God didn't want you...

And the Devil was terrified!

No matter: it worked out for the best!

Spyder Garage

An engine is hard to start when it's hot believe it or not. My friends bi plane has done this on the ground when it's hot ,it won't spin the prop fast enough to start easy. Eventually it will start just like this one did.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I had that happen to me once. I was a paying passenger in a commercial airliner, a small twin-engine prop plane. We were travelling from DFW airport to College Station, TX. As a passenger I was setting in the co-pilot's seat. When we were at about 1,000 feet on approach to land the pilot hadn't changed from the wing tanks to the main tanks yet and both engines ran out of fuel and quit. The pilot reached across and flipped some switches on the panel in front of me and at about 50 feet above the pasture the engines started back up, we climbed back up to the guide-slope and then landed. Except for some whimpering from the passengers behind me, it was very very quiet in the aircraft...
    And how many pairs of clean underwear were there afterward?!!
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Got another airplane story.....

It was just after Christmas 1962 and I was flying back to my Radioman 'A' school in San Diego from San Francisco. I usually flew on PSA but they were full so got a ticket on Western Airlines. Aircraft was an Electra 4-engine turbo-prop. In the waiting area it was full of sailors and about an equal number of nuns. The two groups were not mixing understandably.

We all boarded the aircraft and headed down the runway. Anyone who has flown into or out of SFO knows that the runways to the south stop at the water's edge. The aircraft gradually gained speed, lifted off, we observed the breakwater below signaling the end of the runway and then......both engines on my side of the aircraft spooled down and the plane lurched to the left. We were headed in a tight left turn and once again over water. The sailors began cussing. The nuns were dead silent. The pilot (or co-pilot) came on the intercom saying "we've had a bit of a mechanical problem and have to return to the airport".

The aircraft was now crabbing and buffeting badly and we could see the runway off to the left but nothing but water and rocks between. It might have been my imagination but when the pilot put the wheels and flaps down the noise and buffeting increased and I think I heard prayers coming from the nun's side of the aircraft.

We were given the "prepare for hard landing" speech and more prayer emerged. One more hard left turn and we were back on the ground surrounded by fire equipment. A bus pulled up and we deplaned but not back to the terminal. Instead, we were taken to a building away from the main terminal and entered a lounge area which had carts of liquor, soft drinks and snacks. The airline announced it would take about 90 minutes to get a substitute aircraft and in the meantime to relax. Lines formed at the rest rooms.

After a short time a party broke out. Both sailors and more than a couple nuns circled around the carts and the liquor was the first thing gone. Navy blue and black and white habits mixed and you would not have known we thought we were going swimming just 30 minutes before. The carts were refreshed several times (no one asking for ID) and it was a genuine disappointment when the new aircraft arrived. This time, when the wheels left the ground there was silence for a few seconds then cheers broke out. I don't remember much more about the trip because I had had about a half dozen scotch/rocks and had only just reached my 18th birthday.

From that day on when I saw the familiar Western Airline ad on TV (Jim Backus holding a martini and saying "Western Airlines, the ONLY way to fly!" I relived this incident. I don't think I ever flew Western Airlines again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    It was mostly so military aircraft could put down anywhere. A certain percentage (don't know the figure) of miles of interstate have to have a mile of straight road without obstruction.
    I always heard it was one out of every seven, but according to snopes.com it is not true at all.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/la...ope-and-glory/
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

This is a friend of mine. Happened less than a year ago in prep for getting his private pilot license while on a solo practice flight.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/257339391-video

He’s ok and still getting ready to finish the test after that. Catastrophic engine failure for which no cause has been found. Same flight instructor taught me, my son and Jeff in the video and no doubt is one of the reasons he walked away safely.

i went in on a plane with my flight instructor friend, a Piper turbo arrow that we bought in Destin Fla. and flew back to Ca. Made it to El Paso at dusk and went through our check list only to find we couldn’t get a green light for a locked nose wheel. Had to declare an emergency. Went through the emergency checklist for getting the wheel to lock and even though we eventually got a green light didn’t actually know if it was locked or not. By then we were landing in the dark and I”ll never forget all the emergency equipment lights spun up next to the runway. Not much fun but fortunately we landed ok.

Spent the next 3 days in El Paso getting the problem fixed with the help of some great ex military guys that were all aviation mechanics and my flight instructor who just seems to know enough about everything to help with the fix. (He now just for fun leads the solar/electric racing car program at UC Davis)

His preparedness and training saved me from getting hurt, probably saved Jeff’s life in the above video and motivated my son to pursue a career in aviation after working with him to get his pilot license as a senior in high school.

Sometimes it’s not your time and sometimes you have had dedicated individuals kick you in the butt to be prepared for when the **** hits the fan. God bless em.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 03-24-2018 at 02:51 AM.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I always heard it was one out of every seven, but according to snopes.com it is not true at all.

My only problems with that fact-check are: a) the numerous small private airports would not necessarily be long enough for many military aircraft; and b) using aircraft carriers has the same problem and wouldn't help much in Kansas.

This also brings to mind when I lived in St. Louis, home of McDonald-Douglas, Monsanto, and a major communications hub between eastern and western US. We were told it would be a target if the Ruskies decided to send atomic weapons. So they had an evacuation plan for the routes people should take to leave the metro area. It was a joke. Daily rush hour was already bumper-to-bumper! So the interstates would be full of traffic going nowhere.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post

Eisenhower's actual intent for the Interstate Highway System was for the rapid movement of military land forces in the event of another WWII-type war.

Spyder Garage

Hi RinconRyder,

Re: Eisenhower's actual intent for the Interstate Highway System was for the rapid movement of military land forces in the event of another WWII-type war.

^^^^^ This.

Once he saw the autobahns, he knew what he wanted to do.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) The amount of unfactual posting on here boggles the mind.

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple