Spyder Garage

Default 2017 f3t front shocks.

So I have read that adjusting the stock shocks to thier most stiff position, that it will help with handling. My question is i believe i remember there being 5 setting unless i didn't understand correctly. How do you know how far up to adjust the nut? Seems there is a 1 1/2" of thread there. Can i make them too stiff? Do I screw the nut all the way up or is there some magic distance? Looks like there is 2 nuts at the bottom of spring and the bottom nut locks the top not in place i assume.
    I'm calling them nuts but they are rather large so i could just be ignorant to what they are called.
    Thanks for the help in advance.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Stiffer ride via shock compression

Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS View Post
    So I have read that adjusting the stock shocks to thier most stiff position, that it will help with handling. My question is i believe i remember there being 5 setting unless i didn't understand correctly. How do you know how far up to adjust the nut? Seems there is a 1 1/2" of thread there. Can i make them too stiff? Do I screw the nut all the way up or is there some magic distance? Looks like there is 2 nuts at the bottom of spring and the bottom nut locks the top not in place i assume.
    I'm calling them nuts but they are rather large so i could just be ignorant to what they are called.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    This info pertains to ( most ) any adjustable shock ..... Pre-loading a shock by compressing the spring will give you a STIFFER feeling shock ..... however it will also make the ride harsher ..... the less a Spring can travel means less compliance .... and that equates to a Harsher ride .... getting a spring with a higher weight rating is the IDEAL way to fix this .... but that is an expensive and time consuming thing ( trial & error )..... I changed the angle of my front OEM shocks ( 2014 RT which has the same frame as yours ) ...this firmed up my ride considerably, but didn't make it HARSH, because the length of spring travel remained the same. I got a lot of my information for doing this from someone who designed Mtc Shock sytems for Ohlins.......Mike

Spyder Garage

If you have the Fox shocks which it sounds like you do. There are no preset positions. The load is adjusted by counting the threads between the top of the threads and the adjusting nut. The bottom nut is a jam nut to lock both nuts in position. Looks like this. Stupid pic is upside down.

20180322_095842_Burst01_resized.jpg