Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire plug kit!!

Spyder Garage

Default Tire plug kit!!

I have a question. I just set my air pressures in my Spyder tires. I purchased the little rechargeable air compressor from Lamonster last year. I need to get a tire plug kit to put with it. I know nothing about tire patch kits. Could someone post a link to what I should get.
    Thank you
    Russ
    2015 RT Limited Red
    2017 Harley Street Glide

Spyder Garage

Go here and pick the plugging kit you want. They also have manuals for the kits online.
    https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Stop & Go Tire Plugger

The Stop & Go Tire Plugger is the best one I have found. I have carrier one for years and have used it three times on other people's bikes. Works great.

https://www.stopngo.com/standard-model-tire-plugger/
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed....

Add one for the stop-n-go plug kits...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I just ordered the tire plug kit!! You folks are the best!!
    Russ
    2015 RT Limited Red
    2017 Harley Street Glide

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

just remember plugs are temporary repairs, replace with combi patch when possible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't know what brand I carry but I always have a tire plug kit on board.

Spyder Garage

One of the rules of riding is that if you have a plug kit you will never have a flat. Just like if you carry rain gear you will rarely encounter rain. If it looks like it will rain and you don't stop first and put it on it will rain, if you do stop first and put it on it won't rain.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default One kit vs another......

What ever kit you buy , and I've used several, they all have about the same success/failure rate. Some things not often addressed are storage ability. Compactness, ability to function correctly after long periods of storage and replacement parts. I chose the Slime kit and compressor along with the gooey strip kit. With those items I can attack a flat from two directions, inside and outside. Two items missing from all the kits I've seen/used, are hand wipes and a small plastic tarp. Keep in mind, if you have roadside assistance, have them send a slider and then take you to a dealership. That's the cleanest way to go.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Plug Kit

Sure Looks and sounds Good. On the Road Tire Plug Kit. Seems like a fair price too.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    just remember plugs are temporary repairs, replace with combi patch when possible.
    Do not allow a "temporary repair", to become a permanent condition!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've used plain old "gummy worm" type kits for years without problems.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Tire plug

I plugged my rear tire about 14 months ago, have 9000 miles on it. It was a month old tire when I got a screw in it. I called dealer and he said you can’t patch a tire on can am. I called a couple tire places and they all said same thing. I plugged it, and watched it close for awhile, then kinda forgot about it. I checked pressure of and on last summer, and it was always good. I figure it’ll last tell I need a new tire put on now. If it was a front, I doubt that I’d have ran it like that for to long.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    ... I called dealer and he said you can’t patch a tire on can am. ...
    You'll get that a lot from dealers and shops. It's more of a CYA move on their part. I've plugged many a motorcycle tire as long as the hole was in the meaty tread and not the sidewalls or the leaned over edges. The Spyder uses "CAR" tires, even though Kendas are labeled "motorcycle"; not to mention all those here that use real CAR tires. Just plug it and ride.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for all the replies. My kit from Stop and go arrived yesterday. Nice kit. I decided to carry my small rechargeable compressor on the bikes. I ride with a small group of friends a lot. I will be the only one carrying the compressor and patch kit. I have towing and roadside assistance on my Spyder and Harley. I believe if one of us has a flat and we can temporarily fix it to get home it is well worth the cost. I would never ride on a plugged tire other than to get the bike home. I have ridden for 42 years and never had a flat. But that doesn’t prevent it from happening any day at any time.
    Thanks again for the advice. Russ
    2015 RT Limited Red
    2017 Harley Street Glide

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    I plugged my rear tire about 14 months ago, have 9000 miles on it. It was a month old tire when I got a screw in it. I called dealer and he said you can’t patch a tire on can am. I called a couple tire places and they all said same thing. I plugged it, and watched it close for awhile, then kinda forgot about it. I checked pressure of and on last summer, and it was always good. I figure it’ll last tell I need a new tire put on now. If it was a front, I doubt that I’d have ran it like that for to long.
    up until last year bmw dealers in the u.s. said you can not patch a run flat tire, now they say you can. well according to bmw germany you always could repair a run flat with a combi patch. i guess dealers don't know what they are talking
    about all the time. when repairing a tire i go by german standards and use german patches, glue and applications, i
    found germany to have the highest standards on tire repair and wheel manufacturing and I have been doing combi patches on all performance and rft tires for over 10 years now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RussRT View Post
    I have a question. I just set my air pressures in my Spyder tires. I purchased the little rechargeable air compressor from Lamonster last year. I need to get a tire plug kit to put with it. I know nothing about tire patch kits. Could someone post a link to what I should get.
    Thank you
    Russ
    Does anyone have a link to the air compressor from Lamonster? I can’t find it on his website. I am wondering if Lamont no longer recommends this device.

2016 RT Limited SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Compressor

I purchased one of the portable compressors from Amazon just like the one Lamont carries. In less than a year the thing would not hold a charge. The charger does not put out enough amperage to run the unit if the batteries are dead. Searched everywhere to see if I could find a web site for the manufacture to no avail. I figured I didn't have anything to loose so I took it apart (no easy chore) and sure enough one of the four 3.2 volt batteries was completely dead. Another search revealed that you could buy replacement batteries but you had to buy 1000 and have them shipped from China. I now have 4 new batteries on order that are not a direct replacement but I can make them work. Love the little compressor, hope I can get it fixed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    I purchased one of the portable compressors from Amazon just like the one Lamont carries. In less than a year the thing would not hold a charge. The charger does not put out enough amperage to run the unit if the batteries are dead. Searched everywhere to see if I could find a web site for the manufacture to no avail. I figured I didn't have anything to loose so I took it apart (no easy chore) and sure enough one of the four 3.2 volt batteries was completely dead. Another search revealed that you could buy replacement batteries but you had to buy 1000 and have them shipped from China. I now have 4 new batteries on order that are not a direct replacement but I can make them work. Love the little compressor, hope I can get it fixed.
    I had the same problem with one I purchased on Amazon. They did let me return it and refunded my money. I know the one on Lamont's website looks great but mine would not work.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the air compressor from Lamonster? I can’t find it on his website. I am wondering if Lamont no longer recommends this device.
    I just checked his Website and do not see it any longer. He may have had some problems and pulled it. (NOW I DON'T KNOW THAT) but I know if it is not up to his standard he is not going to handle them.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I had a conversation with Lamont at the SOTB rally about the mini compressor he sold. I'm pretty certain he will share information about it with you should you ask him but I don't believe it's my prerogative discuss here.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    Mine did the same thing. I just would use it plugged into the cigarette lighter. Then, that wouldn't go anymore and tossed it.

It was awesome when it worked.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I bought this kit and have already used it to plug a tire.

tire-mobility-kit-stopngo-preview__51443.1522944974.1280.1280.jpg
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I bought this kit and have already used it to plug a tire.

tire-mobility-kit-stopngo-preview__51443.1522944974.1280.1280.jpg
    How many amps does the compressor draw? The fuse on my powerport is 5amp.

2016 RT Limited SE6

Spyder Garage

Default lamont air compressor

Last week Lamont answered an on site question i posed to him and said he does not carry hand compressor anymore, said his supplier dropped out of sight.