Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Today I ran 18PSI in all 3 tires. Yes, car tires. The bike felt GREAT. No wandering or swimming feel at all. I previously tried 16 in the fronts and didn't like it. Maybe now that I have the correct pressure for the rear, I may try a little lower in the fronts again. But for now, 18 seems to be the sweet spot for all 3. I was truly impressed by the difference a couple of pounds makes. Sorry to hijack this thread but I do think the information is relevant to the OPs question.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The low pressure mafia is out again. It's impossible to say anything else, or have an opinion on these threads otherwise.

I've tried running low pressures. I hated the feel of it completely. Was incredibly squishy and felt a LOT of side wall play on easy corners.

I'm running 25-26psi and love it.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    The low pressure mafia is out again. It's impossible to say anything else, or have an opinion on these threads otherwise.

I've tried running low pressures. I hated the feel of it completely. Was incredibly squishy and felt a LOT of side wall play on easy corners.

I'm running 25-26psi and love it.
    i don’t understand, Todd. You have indeed just said something else, and you have just expressed an opinion, so it is certainly not impossible. Mike and Peter are expressing their opinion, as are you. Which opinion you choose to run with is entirely up to the individual. I personally find the lower psi around 20 preferable to 26psi. This decision was made after considering all the input I could find, for which I am very appreciative.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Floating Your Goat.jpg

As for me: I took a "Middle of the Road" approach. I dropped my pressures; but only to about 23 pounds.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it safe to assume that ALL of you folks who are quoting pressures are running non-OEM brands of tires ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's an over-simplification of the situation...
    I can only say that in my case: I stay within the suggested tire pressure range for the OEM Kendas.

...But those tire pressures don't apply to the aftermarket tires that I have happily used.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    i don’t understand, Todd. You have indeed just said something else, and you have just expressed an opinion, so it is certainly not impossible. Mike and Peter are expressing their opinion, as are you. Which opinion you choose to run with is entirely up to the individual. I personally find the lower psi around 20 preferable to 26psi. This decision was made after considering all the input I could find, for which I am very appreciative.

Pete
    This may be the first time I've seen an Aussie take something completely literally!

I'm quite sure you know what I meant. The vitriol received regarding the opinion of higher psi's on these forums is obvious, and every long-time poster here know who I'm referring.

I am at 26 psi because I did the same as you did: I read a lot: not just here, but other resources. Read others' opinions. I even took those opinions and used them in analysis of tire pressures on multiple rides. Tweaked things up, and tweaked things down. Measured heat across surfaces. Did my due diligence, in my opinion.

26psi is what makes my ride the way I like it. 14psi looked like my tires were coming off the rims, and just turning in a driveway was a chore. Hated the performance, and it felt dangerous to me actually. I could totally understand how someone would go "in the middle." Personally, I like the lowered rolling resistance.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're digging the feel of 26 psi: nobody is going to argue with you over it!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Tire brand does not determine pressure, vehicle & weight does.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    This may be the first time I've seen an Aussie take something completely literally!

I'm quite sure you know what I meant. The vitriol received regarding the opinion of higher psi's on these forums is obvious, and every long-time poster here know who I'm referring.

Yeah Todd, but you missed my point. You expressed your opinion quite strongly, and so did Mike and Peter. None of you prevented the other from posting their opinion, and apart from the heated comments which came from both sides, helped provide input to those making a call, for which I am grateful.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Tire brand does not determine pressure, vehicle & weight does.
    "Brand" means nothing; that is just a name.

A difference in construction between two MODELS of tires, however, DOES figure into setting the optimum pressure.