Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealership said don’t use 8mm spark plug wires

Idk if they said this because you shouldn’t it or they want you to use factory ones. Same ppl who told me to throw away the juice box and leds

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEALER ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    Idk if they said this because you shouldn’t it or they want you to use factory ones. Same ppl who told me to throw away the juice box and leds
    My title says it all IMHO ...... the factory wires have a short life ( Proven here many times ) they are just like the OEM - Kenda tires ....... poorly made and weak ...... add the HOOEY about Spyder wheels are Motorcycle wheels ... another fallacy ......Spyder wheels are " J " design ....just like your Car ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately some dealers have other concerns that interfere with customers. IMG_7356.jpg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I would love to hear his justification for that

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Signs

That's a sign of the TIMES. Today's BIKE Shops are NOT making the money to stay in business. LOST a Good Shop last year. The Bike industry as a whole has really changed in the last 5 years.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    That's a sign of the TIMES. Today's BIKE Shops are NOT making the money to stay in business. LOST a Good Shop last year. The Bike industry as a whole has really changed in the last 5 years.
    i agreee. So what wires are you guys using?

Spyder Garage

Default Baja Ron

i agreee. So what wires are you guys using?
    Has the best plugs and wires.
    It's like riding a different Spyder!!!
    It's a 21 now....,BUT I like being on top
    TricLed afterburnerz gen2
    BajaRon sway bar
    F4 customs SRT 28" Clear Wide

2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Spyder Garage

plugs and wires from BajaRon

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No wires: just coil packs!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It all started for me in 2008 when I was told that Iridium spark plugs would not work well in the Spyder. Of course I used them anyway with great results! A few years later the same Spyder motor came from the factory with Iridium spark plugs. Still do.

Dealerships can say anything. And, unfortunately, they often do.

Here is a short list of things that customers have relayed to me about dealer recommendations.

Don't use a car tire
    Don't use Amsoil or any fully synthetic oil
    Don't use aftermarket oil filters
    Don't use aftermarket air filters
    Don't change out the sway bar
    Don't install aftermarket lighting
    Don't use any aftermarket fuel management system or exhaust

But 'Don't use 8mm spark plug wires'? That's a new one on me! But not a problem. My wire sets are 8.5mm so they should be OK!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It all started for me in 2008 when I was told that Iridium spark plugs would not work well in the Spyder. Of course I used them anyway with great results! A few years later the same Spyder motor came from the factory with Iridium spark plugs. Still do.

Dealerships can say anything. And, unfortunately, they often do.

Here is a short list of things that customers have relayed to me about dealer recommendations.

Don't use a car tire
    Don't use Amsoil or any fully synthetic oil
    Don't use aftermarket oil filters
    Don't use aftermarket air filters
    Don't change out the sway bar
    Don't install aftermarket lighting
    Don't use any aftermarket fuel management system or exhaust

But 'Don't use 8mm spark plug wires'? That's a new one on me! But not a problem. My wire sets are 8.5mm so they should be OK!

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Yea I bought the iridums from advance auto parts for the spyder. Now time for wires and those damn hoses. And if all that runs well may or may not put juice box back on it . Has stock filter but dual 2 bros exhaust. On stock fuel management wouldn’t it run kinda off with the exhaust ?

Spyder Garage

Default SPARK PLUGS

Yea I bought the iridums from advance auto parts for the spyder. Now time for wires and those damn hoses. And if all that runs well may or may not put juice box back on it . Has stock filter but dual 2 bros exhaust. On stock fuel management wouldn’t it run kinda off with the exhaust ?
    Don't forget the " Heat sink paste " ( ie Thermal paste ).....to put on the plug Threads ..... you will have issues if you don't. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-21-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

And if all that runs well may or may not put juice box back on it . Has stock filter but dual 2 bros exhaust. On stock fuel management wouldn’t it run kinda off with the exhaust ?
    Dual Two Bros exhaust lets the engine breath a bit. More air going out of the combustion chamber.

When I first got my GS/RS, stock with the dual Two Bros, it had impressive back-fires on deceleration. I put the juice box in and the back-fires stopped.

It's up to you what you do, ride it for a while and decide if you want to put the juice box back in.

My mechanic told me to let the engine breath, install a K&N filter.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Don't forget the " Heat sink paste " to put on the plug Threads ..... you will have issues if you don't. Mike
    If you are using NGK plugs don't apply anything to the plugs. This is right from their website
    1. Anti-seize
    NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver-or-chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    If you are using NGK plugs don't apply anything to the plugs. This is right from their website
    1. Anti-seize
    NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver-or-chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.
    No one said to use anti seize. They said heat sink paste.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    No one said to use anti seize. They said heat sink paste.
    Some may think that and just wanted to make them aware that anti seize is not a heat paste. I have never used anything and no issues. This is with 5 different Spyders.

David
    Last edited by Warlock; 03-20-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    When I first got my GS/RS, stock with the dual Two Bros, it had impressive back-fires on deceleration. I put the juice box in and the back-fires stopped.

It's up to you what you do, ride it for a while and decide if you want to put the juice box back in. My mechanic told me to let the engine breath, install a K&N filter.
    What do you mean?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

1. Anti-seize
    Some may think that and just wanted to make them aware that anti seize is not a heat paste. I have never used anything and no issues. This is with 5 different Spyders.

David
    This is an example of 2 different objectives from 2 different manufacturers.

1- NGK doesn't want people to use Anti-Seize for the reasons quoted above. They don't want you using anything because it has potential, though small, to create a problem if you don't know what you're doing. As quoted above, NGK plates their spark plug threads (as do just about every spark plug manufacturer) to eliminate any possibility of corrosion between the dissimilar metals (head-aluminum, spark plug-steel). This was a big problem back in the day when aluminum heads were being introduced and spark plugs were not yet plated. Back in those days it was recommended to use Anti-Seize to prevent the problem.

2- However, Can-Am wants your motor to run as designed. To accomplish this the Can-Am engineers recommend using thermal paste on the spark plug threads. This provides additional heat transfer from the spark plug to the head. It is not meant to prevent corrosion.

Of course you are better off putting nothing on the spark plug threads than using Anti-Seize as corrosion protection is no longer needed and Anti-Seize acts as an insulator, decreasing heat transfer. If you do not use thermal paste, the Spyder's computer will compensate for the lack of heat transfer by retarding ignition when needed. You lose power and efficiency. But your engine will run fine and without issue.

As you can see by the graphic below. If you decrease the spark plug's ability to shed heat at the thread interface. It will make a big difference in spark plug temperature. BRP and the spark plug manufacturer go to great lengths to provide a particular heat range spark plug for your application. It is wise to follow the engine manufacturer's recommendations to maintain this heat range spec.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

So, any recommendation on this "thermal paste". I can't say I've ever seen the stuff on the autoparts store shelves before but I can't say I've ever looked.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    So, any recommendation on this "thermal paste". I can't say I've ever seen the stuff on the autoparts store shelves before but I can't say I've ever looked.
    If you don't believe what Ron just said ( and I said in post #14 ) I don't think anything anyone will say can convince you ..................but then if you are one of the many people who don't read all the posts in a Thread ....there is only one cure for that ........ Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thermal Paste

Most 'NAPA' parts stores have the Thermal Paste in stock. You can order it on line from various sources by the way.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you don't believe what Ron just said ( and I said in post #14 ) I don't think anything anyone will say can convince you ..................but then if you are one of the many people who don't read all the posts in a Thread ....there is only one cure for that ........ Mike
    I have no clue what you're talking about. I'm not disputing that you need the thermal paste, I was merely asking for a supplier or brand of thermal paste. I did read all the comments, you need to read all the WORDS.

I see now that BajaRon's kits include the paste so I'd be all set seeing I'll just order the kit from him when I'm ready.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

The last time I purchased spark plugs from Ron he included the paste in the box.
    Nice suprise.