Spyder Garage

Default Dodge RAM pickup general question.

I'm not looking for any alternative suggestions to a Dodge RAM. I'm just wondering if anyone with a RAM pickup can tell me if there is a difference in the ride comfort between the 1500, 2500, and 3500. I know the amount of load that you can carry changes; just interested in the ride comfort. I'll be looking in a few months at the 2018's. I'm only interested in Chrysler products because I get a Chrysler discount as a former employee.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-20-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have a '14 Ram 1500 club cab short bed with the air suspension. Previous truck was a 2500 quad cab short bed with steel springs. The 1500 is much more comfortable than the previous truck. At the end of February I did a 960 mile day and could still walk when I got home. Others (also truck owners) who ride in my truck comment on the nice ride. The ride quality comes at a cost though when carrying a heavy load. Last month when I carried 700 pounds of scrap metal in the bed to the recycler there was more sway than I'm comfortable with. That's caused me to wish for stiffer sway bars. This truck is my daily driver and I'm very happy with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As load capacity goes up: so does ride stiffness...
    Unless you're hauling or towing something serious: pop for the 1500!
    Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Dodge has an air leveling suspension option. On the heavy duty trucks, if you go with the air ride and auto leveling suspension, the unloaded ride quality is nearly as good as the half ton truck. It adds air and thus increases spring rate when load is added. My distaste for all things Dodge aside, this is one option Ford and Chevy really should have picked up on long ago. It really does give nearly the best of both without much compromise other than cost and complexity. Then again, that complexity adds to the Fiat Chrysler reliability problems. Its out there and you might look into it if you are going that direction.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I can't believe a woman has to tell the guys here there is no such thing as a DODGE Ram P/U truck since 2009. Please turn in your man cards right away.

Ram is the brand of light- to mid-weight pickup trucks established in 2009 as a division of Chrysler Group LLC. Spun off from Dodge, the Ram brand was created with plans to make Dodge better able to focus on building and marketing an exclusively car-based lineup. All pickup and heavy-duty trucks by Chrysler are now sold under the Ram brand.

Spyder Garage

The 2500 switched from a spring rear suspension to a coil type in '14. They ride ALOT smoother than the leaf spring the previous models. The 3500 still has the leaf spring, but as mentioned, there is a factory airbag option.

I'm on my 2nd 3500 ram. My first was a '14. Now on in a '17. I test drove the 2500, and liked the way it drove, handled, but I needed the payload of the 3500. My current truck has just shy of 4000 # payload.

If you need the payload capacity, 3500 is the obvious choice. If you need a modest payload and still want a decent ride, the 2500 will probably work well for you.

The 1500 come in a few different engine, trans combo with the 5.7 being the largest.
    The 2500 - 3500 comes in the 5.7, 6.4, or the 6.7 diesel.
    I have the 6.4 as I not a fan of the EPA emissions on the diesel.
    Last edited by mowin; 03-20-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    I can't believe a woman has to tell the guys here there is no such thing as a DODGE Ram P/U truck since 2009. Please turn in your man cards right away.

Ram is the brand of light- to mid-weight pickup trucks established in 2009 as a division of Chrysler Group LLC. Spun off from Dodge, the Ram brand was created with plans to make Dodge better able to focus on building and marketing an exclusively car-based lineup. All pickup and heavy-duty trucks by Chrysler are now sold under the Ram brand.

Spyder Garage

I have both a 1500 Ram and a 3500 Dodge dually. The Ram has a smooth comfortable ride but the Dodge is still a truck, If I changed the Dodge to a Ram 3500 I would go for the air ride.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    I have both a 1500 Ram and a 3500 Dodge dually. The Ram has a smooth comfortable ride but the Dodge is still a truck, If I changed the Dodge to a Ram 3500 I would go for the air ride.
    Roger

Does anyone “lease” a new Ram pickup here for $150 a month for 2 years like the dealers advertise in the newspapers? I do know you have to be an employee, a vet, policeman, fireman, and a past lease person, etc. And put money down! (maybe $2000+) I also heard if you pay up front say 150 x 24 = $3600.00 then no need to put any money down? I was just wondering...
    2016 Spyder RT-S Special Series (black)
    Garmin Zumo 590 GPS with Mounting Kit & Locking Plate
    Battery Tender Jr
    Full & Half Covers
    Foam Grip Covers
    NBV Highway Brackets with Black Dually Trident ISO Pegs
    3- Piece Lid Net Set
    Baja Ron Sway Bar with Aluminum End Links
    Magic Mirror’s
    Doc’s Vibration Damper
    Air Ryde Rock Armour Cup
    Missing Belt Guard
    Dual USB Charger with Digital Voltmeter Rocker Switch
    IPS Axel Caps Front (inner) & Rear
    GoldPlugs MP-01 & MP-18
    Yuasa YTX24HL-BS Battery
    Battery Post Risers
    Tie Down Rings
    Show Chrome Rear Trunk Shock
    2- Beaded Seat Cushions
    Tinted Sport Windshield & Side Cargo Bag Set (stored in a box)

Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 "DODGE" Ram 1500 (yes it was a Dodge even in 2010) that I recently traded in for a 2018 Ram 2500. The ride of the 2500 is much more firm even with the rear coil springs. One of the biggest issues is they want the rear tires aired up to 80 psi all the time, even when empty. I drop my rears to 45 psi empty and it makes a HUGE difference in the ride. If you don't need a lot of payload capacity and want a nice ride I'd go for the 1500. Be advised though, the 1500 has a lot of towing capacity but the payload is pretty low, especially on models with more options. My 1500 had a 1099 lbs payload, my 2500 has 3149 payload.

Check specs on the redesigned 2019 Ram 1500, they upped the capacities.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Couldn't let this thread continue without this.............

Spyder Garage

Ha ha! That's such a lame video considering one of the Worlds Strongest men pulled a Boeing 767.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At least we now know for sure, that it's Randy pulling the strings!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We had a RAM 3500 diesel dually. That thing would tow a 35' 5th wheel toy hauler like nothing was back there. Without a load on the back though (pre air spring), it rode like a truck. The long wheelbase did soften the ride a bit.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 1500 with the 5.7 in it I pull two spyders on a 22ft trailer an have had no problems pulling it in the mountains it only gets about 16 mpg with the trailer. The ride is good

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

Sorry, but the Yoda didn't"tow" the thing. It was pulled. And a Craftsman riding mower could have done that.

Like the looks of the Yoda's, just doesn't fit my needs. I'd give em a serious look if I was in the mark for something lighter dudy.

Spyder Garage

Randy,

You disappoint. I didn't think you'd follow in your idol's foot steps, and switch your identity. I guess he just had more of an impact on you than I thought. You're going to need some serious deprogramming, and only Holly will be able to help. Good luck.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-20-2018 at 05:30 PM.