Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Uber Self-Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

I know it would happen sooner or later and here comes the first huge lawsuit. We see these self driving vehicles all over my town and were just talking about this type of event last night. This will undoubtedly slow down substantially or stop completely the self driving vehicle development.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u...171141094.html

Spyder Garage

Default Doubt it....

There are many a death by manufacturing robots (you don't hear about them) and they continue on. Will put a hitch in there get-a-long for sure. Like to see the list of people and entities that will be sued for this one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It's definitely going to slow things down, but as the technology advances, so will this.

Spyder Garage

Rincon,

Sounds like your putting the cart before the horse. This is from the link you provided:

"Although the Uber vehicle and its human backup could be at fault, it may turn out that there was nothing either could have done to stop the crash, he said."

To me, there's been nothing to determine who was at fault. I also read where the pedestrian was walking her bike outside the crosswalk.

Spyder Garage

Same old song, use the public for your R&D.

These self driving systems must be monitored at all times just like Auto pilot on an airplane. I'm very sceptical of these systems and how great we are told they work. I'm sure they will keep as many deaths as quiet as possible.

Self driving systems are just producing more people who are too stupid to think for them selves.
    Last edited by ES44AC; 03-19-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Rincon,

Sounds like your putting the cart before the horse. This is from the link you provided:

"Although the Uber vehicle and its human backup could be at fault, it may turn out that there was nothing either could have done to stop the crash, he said."

To me, there's been nothing to determine who was at fault. I also read where the pedestrian was walking her bike outside the crosswalk.
    There was a person in the car who was supposed to take over so a big question is why didn't he?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    There was a person in the car who was supposed to take over so a big question is why didn't he?
    If you don't have your hands and feet on the controls, think about how slow you would be getting the controls and getting in control.
    Last edited by ES44AC; 03-19-2018 at 07:19 PM.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I thought these self driving cars were supposed to detect a obstacle and slowdown/stop to avoid a accident?

It will be interesting to see if the car actually did "try" to avoid the person.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There are many a death by manufacturing robots (you don't hear about them) and they continue on. Will put a hitch in there get-a-long for sure. Like to see the list of people and entities that will be sued for this one...
    There is no comparison between a manufacturing robot and an autonomous vehicle. The vehicle has to obtain and respond to a million more data inputs, analyze all of them and come up with a decision in milliseconds. The robot needs only to follow its programmed path and respond to a few dozen inputs.

The deaths associated with manufacturing robots are much more the person's fault than the machines from current data and the financial payback is huge. An autonomous vehicle's financial benefits are much less and the costs are likely to be much higher.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Rincon,

Although it appears that the pedestrian was crossing a busy street outside a crosswalk the vehicle should have recognized an object in its path and taken appropriate action. Neither the vehicle nor the "safety driver" did. A person at walking speed should have been slow enough that the vehicle would have had plenty of time to slow or stop. Tempe police are saying the vehicle did not slow down or attempt to stop.

The pedestrian was definitely at fault for not crossing in a crosswalk BUT millions of people do this everyday without being hit. If it turns out this was a malfunction of the vehicle all bets are off on its acceptance as a future mode of transportation.

Now if you are talking about a "people pod" traveling on sensors automated vehicles might have a future. The Skyway people mover at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix and the DFW airport both have unmanned trains but they travel on dedicated routes which are not shared by other traffic.

Spyder Garage

I'm waiting for the rest of the story before passing judgement. The local new media reported that the Uber vehicle was traveling at 80MPH. This happened on a city surface street! That was on tonight's TV news. They also showed a mug shot of the poor bicycle lady taken last year when she was busted for drugs. And she looked like she was ripe off the streets. Lots of people jumping to conclusions with information that is unreliable. So, I will wait.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'm sure the investigation will get to that but a fail safe that doesn't work is not a real advantage and may be a terrible disadvantage to this program.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A.M.A. is following this topic. Glad they look out for us, sorry for this person and their family.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

One thing that will be different from a typical vehicle to pedestrian crash is that MUCH more real data will be available to show what EXACTLY happened. As with most crashes there will be multiple points of failure and no matter if the autonomous vehicle was at fault or not, there will be learning here to prevent such a case in the future. Since this case is so very public already, we will all know the real story in pretty short order.

The shear fact that autonomous vehicles already have a FAR superior driving record to that of human driven vehicles will allow the research to progress forward. If the vehicle is at fault, Uber, the vehicles owner will be held financially liable. Just as would be the case for a human driven vehicle. They just have far more assets to be worth suing over.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Too much "profit/money" in this for this death to impede the advancement of driverless vehicles.. this death won't be the last by driverless vehicles...

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering how quiet the Volvo self-driving car is?

Just kicking around the idea that the pedestrian didn't hear the car...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

UBER has a record of hiring felons, the driver in the AZ case was a convicted felon and in fact UBER was fined 9.8 million dollars in CO for hiring at least 12 felons and 63 others with serious moving violations, drivers license issues and even ignition interlock restrictions.
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/20/tech...ine/index.html Makes you want to think twice about an UBER ride.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    UBER has a record of hiring felons, the driver in the AZ case was a convicted felon and in fact UBER was fined 9.8 million dollars in CO for hiring at least 12 felons and 63 others with serious moving violations, drivers license issues and even ignition interlock restrictions.
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/20/tech...ine/index.html Makes you want to think twice about an UBER ride.
    I hate to be the one to mention this; but this was a driverless car.
    I don't think that any of their hired felons, had anything to do with the accident.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The article you quote concerns drivers who bypassed Uber's background test by using fake names etc.

Uber will only hire drivers with previous felony convictions if that conviction has been reduced to a misdemeanor AND is a non-violent offense. The driver in the Tempe, AZ case was using a fake name when she was hired and would not have been eligible to be hired.

If this had been an ordinary "car hits pedestrian" accident where the pedestrian suddenly stepped in front of the vehicle the whole fault would fall on the pedestrian. In any event, it will be very interesting to know why the Uber vehicle did not take evasive action. That in itself is very worrying.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

are you talking about uber or u.s. congress?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I hate to be the one to mention this; but this was a driverless car.
    I don't think that any of their hired felons, had anything to do with the accident.
    The vehicle was self-driving at the time of the accident so apparently both the driver and the computer managing the vehicle did not have enough time to react to the pedestrian entering the road.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    I'm wondering how quiet the Volvo self-driving car is?

Just kicking around the idea that the pedestrian didn't hear the car...
    Those driverless vehicles are all over the roads in my small town. They sound just like any other vehicle which is to say about the only thing you can hear is the sound of their tires. Cars are so quiet these days at normal in-town speeds they are very quiet.

The area where the pedestrian was hit is not very heavily travelled late at night so it is somewhat odd that she did not see the Uber vehicle coming. I have not yet heard whether or not the pedestrian was intoxicated or not but that might also be a possibility.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    The vehicle was self-driving at the time of the accident so apparently both the driver and the computer managing the vehicle did not have enough time to react to the pedestrian entering the road.
    In other words... unless the passenger has a checkered past: no felons were involved in this one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    are you talking about uber or u.s. congress?
    I think Congress has them beat by lots of felons.
    Bob S