Spyder Garage

Default Accident and road hazards

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my questions. I have many and hear is another.

Over the years of riding on two wheels, I have come up with many techniques that have helped me stay safe and out of harms way. Nothing can reduce all of the risk but I understand the risk every time I get on 2 or 3 wheels.

What are some tips for avoiding objects and accident avoidance.

Many of the techniques that I used on two wheels are applicable to on the Spyder but some do not apply. Here are some examples.

1. Object in the roadway..ie dead animal. On my motorcycle: make sure that you are constantly sweeping the roadways with your eyes. Using counter steering to make necessary adjustments to go to one side or the other. Obviously counter steering does not apply to the Spyder so what do you do. For objects that you need to make a quick decision do you straddle, steer right or left. I know the first defense is a safe riding distance between you and the vehicle in front so that you have time to recognize the hazard, slow down and steer clear. But what about those times where a fast decision is the only choice. ie. deer, hog, dog etc.

2. Vehicles entering the high way from a side street. On two wheels I have developed and researched maneuvers to help with these situations. I have practiced a small serpentine movement to be more visible (SMYDSY maneuver). A motorcycle moving in a straight line is sometimes hard to see. This type of maneuver is not practical for the Spyder. I use other techniques such as watching wheel movement for stopped vehicles, making sure drivers are paying attention, slowing, covering brakes etc. What are some techniques you use on the Spyder. I have notice that there is a nice feature on the light switch that allows you to flash high beams.
    Last edited by Mahaflac; 03-19-2018 at 12:16 PM.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Accidents

YES, Very Good TIPS. A Helmet is a definite Plus. I NEVER RYDE with out ONE. Bright Clothing/VEST can help.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default SMIDSY is very real and any sideways movement should draw attention..

When riding with another Spyder, I still try to move from out from a trailing position so that the diverging sight lines cause a greater apparent closing speed to any vehicles merging from side streets. Also I try to move to the left or right so that when meeting traffic coming towards us, the opposing driver can see that there are two vehicles approaching and not cut across after the first Spyder clears. Always expect the other vehicle to turn in front of you!!!!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Riding season is on so please ride safe. For most riding season is 365 24/7 Take care and God bless.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Last year was my first summer on the Spyder. One thing someone shared with me was when traveling on a 4 lane, two lanes in one direction, never remain parallel to traffic in the next lane. Either pass or fall back, if you're in a blind spot they can't see you for a period of time. That, or they're unaware of your presence on their side and they may change lanes into your space/lane. Seems like a good practice to follow.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

All good pointers & advised you try a trike course few other tips lurking there.
    As far as avoiding roadkill & debri DO NOT center the rear tire will catch it anyway & kick like a mule There is a sweet spot under your mirrors & feet just between the tires, aim there. The spyder is more forgiving when you do clip some stuff, the bump skid is not a bumper tho & you can still bottom out on large bumps if you have the floorboards it may release the mechanism that holds it flat ( has a emergency release for extreme braking) dealer should be able to show you.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

given the lowness of our Spyders, I cannot imagine driving over much roadkill (maybe a snake).
    Even rabbits, possums, dead buzzards, etc., are too tall to escape being hit.
    Best to brake and avoid. With hard braking precede by a look in the mirror to be sure and not get rear ended.
    If you can't avoid the small stuff-slow and hit it off center. (and be glad you have a face shield on)

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Driving to work this morning with car and the fellow just ahead of me hit a skunk crossing the road, first thing that came to mind was glad was not riding my spider. Hard to avoid. The sweet spot someone mentioned about just below the mirror is a great word of advice. Thanks!!!
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Drive defensively. Have the mind set that everyone is out to get you. Some do, and you must be ready for everything.

Road hazards--a bit harder to get around with that third wheel in the back. Pretty hard to miss things when they come up quick. It is an art to get the critter between all three wheels. And you have to watch about going into another lane because of the width of the .

I have about a 90% success rate. I had to kill a dog who ran out in front of me from a ditch. It was the dog, or the oncoming semi. I had to hold on and the dog lost. $2K damage to my front end. The semi did not even slow down.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-19-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I was riding on 2 wheels, I always had a headlight modulator on the bike. It cycled the high beam from 100% to 17% a number of times per second, it was DOT legal in ALL 50 states and it only worked in daylight! It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. I haven't checked recently, but if I get any information on a product that will work on Spyders, I will get back to you.

I just checked the Kisan website and the modulator is only available for the 2008 to 2010 GS model. I'm guessing that it is the one bulb for high and low beam controlled by a shutter that's the issue.
    Last edited by SpyderConvert; 03-20-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Update
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default After many years.......

I found that riding dirt bikes you'll naturally encounter many more obstacles than riding the blacktop. Identifying the obstacle comes first, then avoiding the obstacle comes second, in miliseconds. We all have practiced hand/eye coordination and most are pretty good at it. However, I find it's a hazard when trying to avoid a hazard. We start by hitting whatever it is we look at. We've been trained that way. I've seen way too many new dirt bike riders who do just that. They hit what they look at. OUCH! What I've learned is to identify the obstacle then quickly focus on the safe path past the obstacle. It's learning cross control in your mind and it takes practice. The easy way, and the best way, I've found to do that is during everyday riding on the highway. When you're by yourself and not around traffic pick out imperfections on the pavement. Simulate them as hazards and then identify the safe way past them. Give yourself plenty of room and practice. Slowly increase your speed and shorten your distance and soon you'll become quite good at it. The trick is don't be looking back at the hazard (unless it's moving) but focus on the safest route around it. Good luck and practice often.