Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Accident and road hazards

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my questions. I have many and hear is another.

Over the years of riding on two wheels, I have come up with many techniques that have helped me stay safe and out of harms way. Nothing can reduce all of the risk but I understand the risk every time I get on 2 or 3 wheels.

What are some tips for avoiding objects and accident avoidance.

Many of the techniques that I used on two wheels are applicable to on the Spyder but some do not apply. Here are some examples.

1. Object in the roadway..ie dead animal. On my motorcycle: make sure that you are constantly sweeping the roadways with your eyes. Using counter steering to make necessary adjustments to go to one side or the other. Obviously counter steering does not apply to the Spyder so what do you do. For objects that you need to make a quick decision do you straddle, steer right or left. I know the first defense is a safe riding distance between you and the vehicle in front so that you have time to recognize the hazard, slow down and steer clear. But what about those times where a fast decision is the only choice. ie. deer, hog, dog etc.

2. Vehicles entering the high way from a side street. On two wheels I have developed and researched maneuvers to help with these situations. I have practiced a small serpentine movement to be more visible (SMYDSY maneuver). A motorcycle moving in a straight line is sometimes hard to see. This type of maneuver is not practical for the Spyder. I use other techniques such as watching wheel movement for stopped vehicles, making sure drivers are paying attention, slowing, covering brakes etc. What are some techniques you use on the Spyder. I have notice that there is a nice feature on the light switch that allows you to flash high beams.
    Last edited by Mahaflac; 03-19-2018 at 12:16 PM.