Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Taller windshield, help or hindrance

So I realize that most of the “twitchiness” on my 2017 f3t is coming from me getting
    buffeted by the wind at high speeds. Currently I am wearing a 3/4 helmet due to neck
    issues from the heavier modular(that’s another thread!). My question is, with the taller windshield, I know the wind on me will be reduced but will the bike be moved around more?
    Last edited by Jeffmal; 03-18-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Funny, I went from a 3/4 to a modular for the same reasons.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    So I realize that most of the “twitchiness” on my 2017 f3t is coming from me getting
    buffeted by the wind at high speeds. Currently I am wearing a 3/4 helmet due to neck
    issues from the heavier modular(that’s another thread!). My question is, with the taller windshield, I know the wind on me will be reduced but will the bike be moved around more?
    I have a CALSCI 22" Shield on mine, and it works very well. I have noticed no real difference in the amount of movement from cross-winds. I can still see over mine.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Any f3 owners add the taller windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    I have a CALSCI 22" Shield on mine, and it works very well. I have noticed no real difference in the amount of movement from cross-winds. I can still see over mine.

Neil
    Results??

Spyder Garage

I have the F-4 25" clear windshield with a vent, i can see thru my windshield and occasionally if i sit up straight i can see over it, i wear a 1/2 helmet because of the light weight.

I highly recommend the F-4 windshield it is very stable and easy to keep clean and pretty scratch resistant

The windshield causes less buffeting by traffic than a smaller windshield does.

This was what i had on my 2016 F-3 Limited and what I currently have on my 2018 F-3 Limited.

It also reduces the helmet buffeting on my passenger and gives her a smoother ride.

It helps me to hear my radio and GPS better also.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I have the F-4 25" clear windshield with a vent, i can see thru my windshield and occasionally if i sit up straight i can see over it, i wear a 1/2 helmet because of the light weight.

I highly recommend the F-4 windshield it is very stable and easy to keep clean and pretty scratch resistant

The windshield causes less buffeting by traffic than a smaller windshield does.

This was what i had on my 2016 F-3 Limited and what I currently have on my 2018 F-3 Limited.

It also reduces the helmet buffeting on my passenger and gives her a smoother ride.

It helps me to hear my radio and GPS better also.

Cruzr Joe
    Joe, do you find the bike getting pushed around a little more by the wind with
    a taller windshield ? And I’m not sure what you mean by the less buffeting by traffic...

Spyder Garage

Smooth surfaces shed the wind better than rough surfaces. If you have a wind screen that keeps the wind from hitting your body and head you will be more comfortable. And, if the area exposed to the wind is equal, smooth is better. (face shield open = more buffeting than closed). But, you also need to account for back pressure associated with the wind rotating around the sides of the screen. That is usually relieved by a vent in the screen that allows the negative pressure in the back of the screen to be reduced.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Joe, do you find the bike getting pushed around a little more by the wind with
    a taller windshield ? And I’m not sure what you mean by the less buffeting by traffic...

I find the the bike getting pushed around less and I get less wind in my face, the taller windshield helps keep the wind off my passenger ( less wind = less buffeting of her head)

cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Smooth surfaces shed the wind better than rough surfaces. If you have a wind screen that keeps the wind from hitting your body and head you will be more comfortable. And, if the area exposed to the wind is equal, smooth is better. (face shield open = more buffeting than closed). But, you also need to account for back pressure associated with the wind rotating around the sides of the screen. That is usually relieved by a vent in the screen that allows the negative pressure in the back of the screen to be reduced.
    I have the vented windshield.

cruzr joe

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 F3S and run the tall F-4 custom shield , love it. We run 500 a day on trips and a full helmet works great.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I have the vented windshield.

cruzr joe
    is the vented windshield an extra option??????????
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    is the vented windshield an extra option??????????
    BIG F
    If you check the F4 Customs site, there is a price differential of about $70 more to buy a shield with a vent of the same size. There is also a small differential depending on whether you want tinted or clear. One thing to consider, if you ride a F3T or L is that the F4 screen has a fairly large gap at the bottom, so that, with the way it mounts, you already have a big vent. IMHO, an additional vent in the screen as well is rather redundant, but could provide some air circulation if you ride in very hot weather.

I ryde a 2017 F3L, and I'm now on my third different shield, with about 7,000 miles on my Spyder, and probably 1/3 that distance with each shield. I began with the short stock shield with the flip. The wind buffeting didn't really bug me all that much, as riding without any shield whatsoever has been my usual experience, in past. Out of deference to my missus' comfort (and some of my own), I tried a 23" tinted F4 screen. That switch provided a much quieter ryde with good handling and very little wind buffeting. We both enjoyed the comfort it provided. I concluded that I would be happier with a 21" screen, mostly because I prefer to look over rather than through, but that's personal preference. Also if choosing again, probably would just go with clear instead of tinted; personal preference after testing. I changed from the short stock screen to the F4 to gain comfort; however, having done so, I could no longer properly use my expensive (full) BRP trailering cover - the extension 'pocket' for a taller windshield simply isn't wide enough to accommodate the F4 screen. That's something you need to consider if you have a favorite cover and are thinking of changing screens.

I later swapped out the F4 screen for a BRP 'tall boy' made for the F3L. My BRP cover now fits, but the ryde is windy and noisy, maybe even more so than with the short stock screen. I get a lot of whistling in my modular helmet. I may even just go back to the short screen again. The 'tall boy' screen is quite a bit shorter than even a 21" F4 screen would probably be. It pushes most of the air above my head, and almost above my passenger's head. Some, but not all, of the wind buffeting is reduced; however, on-coming semi's on a two-lane highway can still give a noticeable, momentary 'blow' as they go by. My sense is that the F4 screen deflected this more, while the 'tall boy' allows more to hit my chest. However, none has really affected operation or control of my bike.

Your experience may differ; your sensations/preferences may not be the same. I'm 5'10", have a stocky build. I'm still searching for the most comfortable result. Likely will continue to seek out the 'perfect' screen, then alter my cover to fit. The above is offered in hopes it may help you in your quest.

Cheers.
    Last edited by bushrat; 03-19-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Still in limbo..

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    If you check the F4 Customs site, there is a price differential of about $70 more to buy a shield with a vent of the same size. There is also a small differential depending on whether you want tinted or clear. One thing to consider, if you ride a F3T or L is that the F4 screen has a fairly large gap at the bottom, so that, with the way it mounts, you already have a big vent. IMHO, an additional vent in the screen as well is rather redundant, but could provide some air circulation if you ride in very hot weather.

I ryde a 2017 F3L, and I'm now on my third different shield, with about 7,000 miles on my Spyder, and probably 1/3 that distance with each shield. I began with the short stock shield with the flip. The wind buffeting didn't really bug me all that much, as riding without any shield whatsoever has been my usual experience, in past. Out of deference to my missus' comfort (and some of my own), I tried a 23" tinted F4 screen. That switch provided a much quieter ryde with good handling and very little wind buffeting. We both enjoyed the comfort it provided. I concluded that I would be happier with a 21" screen, mostly because I prefer to look over rather than through, but that's personal preference. Also if choosing again, probably would just go with clear instead of tinted; personal preference after testing. I changed from the short stock screen to the F4 to gain comfort; however, having done so, I could no longer properly use my expensive BRP trailering cover - the extension 'pocket' for a taller windshield simply isn't wide enough to accommodate the F4 screen. That's something you need to consider if you have a favorite cover and are thinking of changing screens.

I later swapped out the F4 screen for a BRP 'tall boy' made for the F3L. My BRP cover now fits, but the ryde is windy and noisy, maybe even more so than with the short stock screen. I get a lot of whistling in my modular helmet. I may even just go back to the short screen again. The 'tall boy' screen is quite a bit shorter than even a 21" F4 screen would probably be. It pushes most of the air above my head, and almost above my passenger's head. Some, but not all, of the wind buffeting is reduced; however, on-coming semi's on a two-lane highway can still give a noticeable, momentary 'blow' as they go by. My sense is that the F4 screen deflected this more, while the 'tall boy' allows more to hit my chest. However, none has really affected operation or control of my bike.

Your experience may differ; your sensations/preferences may not be the same. I'm 5'10", have a stocky build. I'm still searching for the most comfortable result. Likely will continue to seek out the 'perfect' screen, then alter my cover to fit. The above is offered in hopes it may help you in your quest.

Cheers.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the good info!
    I am also 5'10" somewhat slim build. I am a little concerned about semis heading in the other direction and moving the spyder with the taller windshield.
    I am leaning towards the 21" - 25" clear, vented shield. Don from f4 emailed me and I tried calling him back .. he is in Daytona now and I would like to
    pick his brain. My main reason for getting a new windshield is to have a smoother ride! All other suggestions and comments are appreciated!!
    Jeff

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the good info!
    I am also 5'10" somewhat slim build. I am a little concerned about semis heading in the other direction and moving the spyder with the taller windshield.
    I am leaning towards the 21" - 25" clear, vented shield. Don from f4 emailed me and I tried calling him back .. he is in Daytona now and I would like to
    pick his brain. My main reason for getting a new windshield is to have a smoother ride! All other suggestions and comments are appreciated!!
    Jeff

The F-4 Customs 25" clear windshield with the vent worked best for me. I had to find a new travel cover that would fit, Lamonster Garage and Spyderpops both have the F3-T cover from Ultragard (39.99 shipped to you) this cover fits nicely with a tall windshield and a rack on the back of my F-3 Limited (see Photo). the tinted windshield may be a little harder to see thru at night.

Photo Mar 15, 3 54 09 PM.jpg Photo Mar 15, 3 54 22 PM.jpg Photo Mar 15, 3 54 34 PM.jpg 2018 F-3 Limited with 25" F-4 Customs windshield and a rack on the back of the big helmet box on the Spyder

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The bike won't get pushed around any more by the wind; just because it has a larger windshield.
    In fact: it was never pushed around at all by the wind!
    F4 makes some great replacement windshields: you can buy from them with confidence!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The bike won't get pushed around any more by the wind; just because it has a larger windshield.
    In fact: it was never pushed around at all by the wind!
    F4 makes some great replacement windshields: you can buy from them with confidence!
    Do you think Semis traveling the opposite direction have an impact on the stability of the
    bike with taller windshields?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the original 27" "barn door" on my 2010 RT. The buffeting from the trucks would move ME around on the bike, and I would add some unwanted input to the handlebars...
    Grip the tank with your knees when they go by, and see if it helps!

Spyder Garage

Results??
    I am overall very happy. The turbulence is mostly gone and there is no real effect on stability. Being able to see over is a bit of a trade-off, as the taller the shield the greater the calmness of the air. Like most things it is a compromise, but one that I am happy with.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default F-3 Ltd windshield fix option

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    I am overall very happy. The turbulence is mostly gone and there is no real effect on stability. Being able to see over is a bit of a trade-off, as the taller the shield the greater the calmness of the air. Like most things it is a compromise, but one that I am happy with.

Neil
    I have a 17 F-3 Ltd equipped with the OEM small, recurved windshield. It did a better job of keeping the wind, noise, and buffeting off me than I expected, but was a far cry from the protection offered on an RT. After talking to a guy with a clamp-on X-Creen at the Deadwood rally last year, I bought one. They sell on-line for about $140, cheaper than a new windshield, and they make a BIG difference. Buffeting and noise are greatly reduced, making the passenger’s ride much calmer also. We have 8,000 miles on our bike and think it’s one of the best improvements we’ve made.

The clamp-on model costs more than the permanent mount, but holds tight and will fit the OEM windshield curve better. Also, the report at Deadwood said the small X-Creen didn’t do nearly as much good, so opt for the larger one. The tinted version is a little darker than the Spyder windshield.

Spyder Garage

Do you think Semis traveling the opposite direction have an impact on the stability of the
    bike with taller windshields?
    I agree with Bob Denman that on-coming semi's really don't have much lasting affect on a bike's stability when they pass, no matter the size of your windscreen. The increased air turbulence is more noticeable to a rider than it is to the machine, and even that's a momentary thing. However, when you are following bigger vehicles such as trucks and buses, there will be a zone to their rear where the air turbulence can be more problematic, especially if you continue to ride in it instead of dropping back to quieter air. That continued turbulence may possibly begin to feel like bike stability is affected; it may even cause your windscreen to flex in the continued buffeting. A larger surface can be more prone to feeling those forces. Simplest solution is just to drop back a distance; also much safer, too.

If I do opt to try another solution, it will probably be the X-Creen, as mentioned by Jambo Creek above. While I truly enjoyed my F4 shield (it cut down both wind and noise greatly), I'm simply hoping to find a solution with a little less overall size. So many of the answers to these issues really turn on personal preferences.
    Last edited by bushrat; 03-19-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Do you think Semis traveling the opposite direction have an impact on the stability of the bike with taller windshields?
    No. I have experienced no more truck buffeting with the 25” F4 (that I look over), than the stock F3-L screen that was half the size.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    No. I have experienced no more truck buffeting with the 25” F4 (that I look over), than the stock F3-L screen that was half the size.

Pete
    Pete, is you ride more stable and more enjoyable with the 25” screen?

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Realistically you just need to relax on the motorcycle. The Windshield has no impact on stability, but you do. I am guessing that on coming semis terrify you and that is what's is causing the instability. I have not made any adjustments to my stock F3 L and it is as solid as a rock on the highway. Just sit back and relax and get used to the machine and how it handles. It's pretty much that simple. The Windshield will help with reduction of noise for you and a passenger but won't have any impact anywhere else. Ryde more worry less!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Ryde more worry less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Realistically you just need to relax on the motorcycle. The Windshield has no impact on stability, but you do. I am guessing that on coming semis terrify you and that is what's is causing the instability. I have not made any adjustments to my stock F3 L and it is as solid as a rock on the highway. Just sit back and relax and get used to the machine and how it handles. It's pretty much that simple. The Windshield will help with reduction of noise for you and a passenger but won't have any impact anywhere else. Ryde more worry less!
    Wrong...on coming semis barely phase me! I am not looking to create a problem by adding a taller windshield.
    My biggest issue currently ( especially since going to an open face helmet ) is my head and body getting buffeted by the wind which in turn
    is creating a "twitchy" situation on my f3t. I think the taller windshield may help that substantially, just not looking for other problems...
    that's why I am putting it out there to get everyone's feedback!!
    And I really appreciate all the "POSITIVE" feedback that have well intentions.