Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Gas Smell *sorry*

I know this issue has been talked about a lot on here, but I went back to riding 2 wheels for the last couple of years but still kept my Spyder. It has always put off a strong gas smell when stopping and getting off the bike. I have to leave it outside for a couple of house because the smell is so bad it would seep into our house through the A/C vents. There is never any liquid involved under the bike. I remember some time back that BRP told me I needed to replace the gas cap cover. That did not solve it but it is about the time I started riding 2 wheels again and did not ride the RT very often and my wife started riding it. The smell still persisted and I just stopped following forum posts about the problem. We never overfill and I still have the original cannister, etc installed, only change was to the gas cap which seemed to be a stupid fix to me.

So, here I am now trying to find out where this issue was finally solved or not solved. some of the posts on this issue for this year bike are 4-5 years old. Sorry if I missed something in my search for recent information.

What were some of the additional fixes and tips RT riders have used to hopefully solved this issue?

Keith
    The Villages, FL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS SMELL

IMHO the gas cap was NEVER the issue ..... Their are 1000's of those ( model ) spyders that never had a Smell issue ..... I never did on any of the three I have owned ...... On my V-twins I Re-routed the line that went to the Charcoal canister, so that is was IMPOSSIBLE for a Gas TANK over-flow to contaminate the Charcoal ........ Once the canister gets contaminated it will take a long time to DRY out ..... and if it keeps getting contaminated it will NEVER dry out .......... so the fix is to re-route the line from the tank to the canister ..... I cut that line and put a plastic "T" fitting in..... the fitting has to placed so it is below the canister ( because liguid that is draining cannot go UP-HILL into the canister it will never get any more gas in it )..... any overflow will go to the ground ......Be very careful where you route it to ..... that muffler can be an issue because it is soo hot ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

many eliminated the canister alltogether. Im sure you ran across those threads. You have no leaks so this would be the most likely place and the above from MIKE is the best solution...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black