Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Took off 2 bros JB now sputters in first

So to try and get it and keep it out of going and staying in limp mode I replaced the spark plugs and removed the juice box. I know removing that would make it ride different. Well in first gear at a red light it sputters and you got to really give it gas then it just takes off like a rocket after it made a backfire noise. Is this normal? Now I have to check my left side led lights because they go dim then come back on. Didn’t mind the 2 bros JB. Just didn’t know anything about setting it up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would say the backfire and hesitation is being caused by an intake leak. Sounds like its sucking too much air at low RPM causing a lean condition. MAKE SURE YOU PLUGGED THE O2 SENSOR BACK INTO THE OEM HARNESS!!(SEE STEP 9 IN MANUAL BELOW) You need to check the intake boot carefully for cracks. The cracks wont be visible unless you squeeze the boot. Replace the vacuum lines while your at it. Your on the right track though. Also, since you removed the juice box, be sure to start the bike and let it idle for about 20 minutes so the computer can re-adjust.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/13...60685422644018
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 03-18-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPUTTER

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I would say the backfire and hesitation is being caused by an intake leak. Sounds like its sucking too much air at low RPM causing a lean condition. MAKE SURE YOU PLUGGED THE O2 SENSOR BACK INTO THE OEM HARNESS!!(SEE STEP 9 IN MANUAL BELOW) You need to check the intake boot carefully for cracks. The cracks wont be visible unless you squeeze the boot. Replace the vacuum lines while your at it. Your on the right track though. Also, since you removed the juice box, be sure to start the bike and let it idle for about 20 minutes so the computer can re-adjust.

with Joel ....... The rubber things He mentioned above are WELL KNOWN ISSUES, the BRP stuff just doesn't age well ........ and this is especially true of the Spark Plug wires ............. and imho if you gaining .05% in performance because of the muffler and juice box swap, I think would be believable _ BUT is the hassle worth it . LOUD isn't the measure of performance - a Dyno sheet is ..... and don't think anyone has that to prove those add-ons work ...... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Didnt let it idle for 20 mins but rode it for atleast 30 mins. Is that the same thing? Starting to think a bike with 7k Miles has a lot of issues

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with Joel ....... The rubber things He mentioned above are WELL KNOWN ISSUES, the BRP stuff just doesn't age well ........ and this is especially true of the Spark Plug wires ............. and imho if you gaining .05% in performance because of the muffler and juice box swap, I think would be believable _ BUT is the hassle worth it . LOUD isn't the measure of performance - a Dyno sheet is ..... and don't think anyone has that to prove those add-ons work ...... good luck ..... Mike

Only reason I have the 2bros stuff is because it came with it.

Spyder Garage

I do remember plugging the o2 sensor back in. And if it has leaks I would think it would be sensitive like it usually is and go back in limp mode

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default NO

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    Didnt let it idle for 20 mins but rode it for atleast 30 mins. Is that the same thing? Starting to think a bike with 7k Miles has a lot of issues

Riding it and letting it idle does not achieve the same result. Try starting it, let idle for 20 minutes(go watch tv or do dishes), then shut off, restart and should be good. BUT, BE SURE YOU CHECK THOSE OTHER PARTS!!! Your issues are minimal in my opinion and once fixed, you will have many trouble free miles.

Spyder Garage

I also did NOT have this problem till I took off the juice box. So either it’s I didn’t sit the the boots good enough in place yesterday OR it’s because the fuel mapping totally changed because I took off the juice box.

Spyder Garage

Default IDLE - ING

.... NO .... the computer has to re-learn the intake and exhaust parameters & unless they stay static ... they get confused .......that's the short version of WHY ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default THOSE NEW PARTS

Only reason I have the 2bros stuff is because it came with it.
    I figured that ..... but sometimes you get the OEM stuff from the previous owner ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

.... NO .... the computer has to re-learn the intake and exhaust parameters & unless they stay static ... they get confused .......that's the short version of WHY ...... Mike
    So maybe. Just maybe that’s the cause of the low rpm sputter then

Spyder Garage

Default SPUTTERING

So maybe. Just maybe that’s the cause of the low rpm sputter then
    I always (?) try the least difficult fix, first ..... Because of the other things you have done, this may NOW be the fix, but maybe not ..... I don't think you changed to the BAJARon spark plug wires ....Yet ???? .......... But that is a bit of work ..... and those wires should last the life of the bike ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I always (?) try the least difficult fix, first ..... Because of the other things you have done, this may NOW be the fix, but maybe not ..... I don't think you changed to the BAJARon spark plug wires ....Yet ???? .......... But that is a bit of work ..... and those wires should last the life of the bike ..... Mike
    Letting it idle now. Keep going back and forth from 1300-1600 rpms. Cut off once. Re started it. Idling now for 4 mins. Still idling back and forth. And no Havnt changed plug wires yet. The air box to move it up to get to that other plug wasn’t as hard as I thought. Took a lot of work to get the plug wire unstuck off of it

Spyder Garage

Also. When I change the spark plug wires. Where is a good place to get them?

Spyder Garage

Ok after 11 mins it cut off so had to restart . So do I start the 20 min idle timer over?

Spyder Garage

And as it’s getting hotter it keeps shutting off while sitting here letting it idle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would say it is an intake leak. Check the boot for cracks and check the 2 vacuum hoses carefully for cracks. Definitely acting like a vacuum leak/intake air leak. No codes?

Spyder Garage

Default those wires

Also. When I change the spark plug wires. Where is a good place to get them?
    Go to the Home page where the Vendors are .... click on to BAJARON 's Ad ....He sells the best, just scroll down to the wires and get the set for your model ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default SPUTTERING

I would say it is an intake leak. Check the boot for cracks and check the 2 vacuum hoses carefully for cracks. Definitely acting like a vacuum leak/intake air leak. No codes?
    and re-place with SILICONE hoses ......... if this or the BOOT is the issue ( sounds like it to me and Joel ) the computer will not be able to re-boot until they are changed ..........Mike .....No codes !!! He did say He got the " LIMP MODE " , but I don't think He has checked for any code numbers ?????? .......PPS, I'm very glad you are staying with us on this .........it's very difficult to help someone who dis-appears for days at a time or worse never communicates at all
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-18-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

While the JB was on and it would idle fine until it would goto limp mode no codes
    would come up. Took off the JB and NOW it idles rough BUT atleast it has speed and will do 80mph instead of 50. So the 6 screws around the intake in the air box maybe the issue? Guess I need to re look at those. Never had I had anything with so much issues. And where are these vacuum hoses you keep talking about? It runs fine I guess until low rpms

Spyder Garage

Default CODES

While the JB was on and it would idle fine until it would goto limp mode no codes
    would come up. Took off the JB and NOW it idles rough BUT atleast it has speed and will do 80mph instead of 50. So the 6 screws around the intake in the air box maybe the issue? Guess I need to re look at those. Never had I had anything with so much issues. And where are these vacuum hoses you keep talking about? It runs fine I guess until low rpms
    " Limp-mode " is something that will show on the screen Automatically ..... 99% of CODES won't .... you have to ask the computer to show them ...... Sorry but I have forgotten the button sequencing ( pressing which ones in what order ) to bring them up ...... someone here will assist on that ...... Not likely the screws imho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

" Limp-mode " is something that will show on the screen Automatically ..... 99% of CODES won't .... you have to ask the computer to show them ...... Sorry but I have forgotten the button sequencing ( pressing which ones in what order ) to bring them up ...... someone here will assist on that ...... Not likely the screws imho ..... Mike

Well when it would only go 50 I figured it was limp mode because it would run off one cylinder. But who knows maybe that was a foules plug. But yes it never said limp mode and when I did the thing for codes nothing came up. Anyways. Anybody have pix of what these vacuum hoses look like and where

Spyder Garage

So this is my question. Let’s say it’s a small air leak and as you see run crappy at idle. Would it hurt it to just ride it?

Spyder Garage

Come to think of it. I do remember a tiny hose that wasn’t connected. There were 2 of them. I reconnected it back though. Gonna go double check on it but not today. Today is a lazy day
    Last edited by Stridersr7; 03-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default SAFE TO RIDE

So this is my question. Let’s say it’s a small air leak and as you see run crappy at idle. Would it hurt it to just ride it?
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't damage anything, but in an Emergency while driving you wouldn't want the Spyder to NOT perform, ie passing situation ..... Mike