Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New-to-me Spyder, won't start after a week sitting

Hey all, so that new Spyder I got last Sunday won't start this morning.
    I rode it home from buying it, ~150 miles, and everything went fine. It was cold out so I had the grip heaters on all the way.
    It sat for 6 days, and today I went out to start it and it won't start up.
    Kill switch is 'on'.
    I get on, insert and turn the key, wait for the screen that says 'hit mode' and do that, then hold the brake in and push the starter.
    I get what sounds like one half revolution on the crank from the starter (OK I have no idea how far the crank turns but the starter turns something).
    Everything cuts out and the screen returns to the one that says 'hit mode'.
    This happens whether the parking brake is engaged or not.

Checked the battery voltage, it was ~11.8 or something like that.
    So yes, voltage low. I have it on a trickle charger now so we'll see.

My question is/are, what sorts of things on a Spyder could cause parasitic loss on a battery so it loses most of its charge in 6 days?
    I would assume the heated grips are only on when the motor is running, or at the very least when the key is in and turned on.
    I don't recall seeing any luggage compartment lights.
    Also, is the charging system a concern on these rides?

PS, I have no idea how old the battery is; the tires are original so I would not be at all surprised if the battery is, too.
    Looks like a fair PIA to get to the battery, too.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Madison Sully, could be low battery, I had the very same symptoms, replaced my original battery at about 4 years of age. Mine's a '13 What year is yours?
    Sorry, I didn't answer any of your questions though the charge should help, I would have thought 150 miles of driving would bring the charge up on a good battery.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 03-17-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Blame the previous owner! Yes it does sound like either a flat battery or charging system. Just to be sure, charge it up and read the voltages with the motor off, the key turned on but not started, and started. You should see full charge before starting, a slight drop when the lights and accessories are drawing power and then back up to 14V or 14.5V with the motor running. You can also take the battery to any auto parts store or Batteries Plus store to have it load tested to see if it's holding charge.

As for parasitic loss, check to see that the grips heaters are indeed off with the key off. Other culprits are farkles that were added by the PO not wired properly.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Madison Sully, could be low battery, I had the very same symptoms, Mine's a '13 What year is yours?
    2010. RT-S.
    Prior owner had it two years before I got it last week.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Ryde

YES, the Year and model of the Spyder will be a GREAT Help. Search 'Battery' on this site for a lot of very good TIPS. A Good Battery should hold a charge of 12.8 volts for 6-10 days.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

& agree:
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Blame the previous owner! Yes it does sound like either a flat battery or charging system. Just to be sure, charge it up and read the voltages with the motor off, the key turned on but not started, and started. You should see full charge before starting, a slight drop when the lights and accessories are drawing power and then back up to 14V or 14.5V with the motor running. You can also take the battery to any auto parts store or Batteries Plus store to have it load tested to see if it's holding charge.

As for parasitic loss, check to see that the grips heaters are indeed off with the key off. Other culprits are farkles that were added by the PO not wired properly.
    My usual guide when I buy a used any vehicle is replace battery, spark plugs & fluids (oil, antifreeze) as soon as I can belts & brakes within few weeks unless knew were toast when I got it.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you leave the key in the ignition when you let it sit for 6 days by chance?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Did you leave the key in the ignition when you let it sit for 6 days by chance?
    Nope, both keys were up on my desk all week.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    Nope, both keys were up on my desk all week.
    When you try to start it what did the voltage drop off to? 11.8 is a bit low but until you put a load on it and watch the voltage drop you would know for sure.

Battery connections good too??

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems up front. A 2010 should have had a new battery by 2014. If not I would say that is probably the culprit. I am going to replace the battery on my 2014 this season at the beginning.

The heated grips--run on a low charged battery could be why the battery lost its charge.

Other suggestions are also right on. Let us know what happens with yours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Charged it up for about an hour on a 1.25 amp tender, and went for a short ride of a few miles.
    It wouldn't shift into reverse at the end of the ride. Related?
    Does the SE5 shifter toggle ever get gummed up and need to be cleaned?
    It's on the tender now to get a full charge. Battery is on my to-buy list.
    Along with rear brake pads and some other stuff.
    Not surprised really, as I'm just getting to know a new machine.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    When you try to start it what did the voltage drop off to? 11.8 is a bit low but until you put a load on it and watch the voltage drop you would know for sure.

Battery connections good too??
    I didn't check what the voltage was when I went to start it. After charging for an hour or so it started.
    So, um, I went for a ride.

Battery connections seem snug, at least they pass the wiggle test and there is no corrosion there.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't check what the voltage was when I went to start it. After charging for an hour or so it started.
    So, um, I went for a ride.

Battery connections seem snug, at least they pass the wiggle test and there is no corrosion there.
    Well good luck. May need a battery soon???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    and on your new ryde.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems up front. A 2010 should have had a new battery by 2014. If not I would say that is probably the culprit. I am going to replace the battery on my 2014 this season at the beginning.

The heated grips--run on a low charged battery could be why the battery lost its charge.

Other suggestions are also right on. Let us know what happens with yours.
    Yea, I need to dig the battery out and check the date.
    Or just go buy a new one.... At least that way I only dig the hole once, right?
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Charged it up for about an hour on a 1.25 amp tender, and went for a short ride of a few miles.
    It wouldn't shift into reverse at the end of the ride. Related?
    Does the SE5 shifter toggle ever get gummed up and need to be cleaned?
    It's on the tender now to get a full charge. Battery is on my to-buy list.
    Along with rear brake pads and some other stuff.
    Not surprised really, as I'm just getting to know a new machine.
    Have an authorized dealer run the VIN # for you. You will get the mechanical history of the machine. You can do the same from the BRP internet page. That information may tell you a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have an authorized dealer run the VIN # for you. You will get the mechanical history of the machine. You can do the same from the BRP internet page. That information may tell you a lot.
    All I see is safety recall check (which comes up clean/no information). Is there another website to check the mechanical history? Can you give the link...?

Thanks much!
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

All I see is safety recall check (which comes up clean/no information). Is there another website to check the mechanical history? Can you give the link...?

Thanks much!
    You may have to get a dealer to run the VIN. They should be willing to do that for free as you are a potential new customer.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default parasitic loss

The front luggage compartment light can be hard to see and find if you dont know where to look. The hood might not be lined up with the switch properly and the light is staying on with the hood closed. Thats about the only thing I can think of other than maybe a USB power outlet that has an LED indicator on it and stays on all the time. Most likely just a weak battery though.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry guys, but 11.8 volts resting charge in a 12 volt battery is FLAT!!

It's not low, it doesn't mean 'you might need a new battery soon', if 11.8 volts is its 'resting charge' or the voltage it returns to within a few hours (well, minutes really, but give it some slack...) after you take it off charge, then it's a DEAD FLAT battery & you NEED a new battery NOW - or better yet, YESTERDAY!

Sure, if you discharge a battery down to 11.8 volts (or anything much below 12 volts really) under load and it charges right back up immediately afterwards & then holds that higher voltage as a resting charge voltage - somewhere about 12.8 or 12.9 volts, for at least a week or preferably a couple of weeks afterwards, then it's probably OK & should be fine for some time yet; but every discharge below about 12 volts shortens the life of the battery and it is less likely to regain that 12.8 volts resting charge condition.

Btw, that 12.8 volts resting charge condition = a 100% charged battery! 12.4 volts resting charge condition = a 50% charged battery & 12.0 volts resting charge = DEAD FLAT - so if that's what your battery sits on after you took it off the charger & let it sit for a couple/few hours, then it's past time for a new battery!!

So I'm sorry Madison, it looks awfully much like you need a NEW BATTERY, regardless of whatever else might be going on! I'd suggest going with a Yuasa, or at the very least another good quality AGM battery. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default good on you sully

Yea, I need to dig the battery out and check the date.
    Or just go buy a new one.... At least that way I only dig the hole once, right?
    hahaha you have a good attitude , for a first timer , give you for that ! is the shifting any better ?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Madison, a couple of things you're probably not aware of as a new owner. Contrary to how bikes and cars have functioned in years past, a Spyder will not start if the battery voltage drops to below 10.5 when you hit the start button. If you had only 11.8 to begin with I'm sure that's what happened. Second, from posts that have been here in the past, be very careful with the terminal bolts on the battery. They are hard to get wrenches on to turn and easy to lose. You might search the forums for some comments about that. In 2013 the battery was moved to the front and much easier to work with.

There have been lots of comments about alternate batteries to the OEM Yuasa, but the general consensus is that as far as value for money and overall quality the Yuasa OEM battery is about the best choice. If you're knew to this world don't waste your time looking for anything better. There are some, but not easy to find and definitely not easy on your wallet.

Now, as far as tires go, that's a whole nuther story!!!!! You'll suffer brain strain to the max trying to figure out what's the best way to go. One of the best cures for insomnia ever invented are tire threads on SpyderLovers!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks much!

A dealer should be able to find service work history done by other dealers according to vin, not much of what is stored is shared by BRP to us lowly customers. Can you still contact the previous owner & find where they had service work done? Something was done to make it a worthy sale.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have fun with the battery install..

Re not shifting into reverse, se5 query - presuming you had your foot on the brake - these things are really sensitive to oil level, and the first sign is weirdness with changing gears ... Worth checking - follow the book - the procedure is also weird.

With our twin, we used a trickle charger when not riding daily (not needed on the triple)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Madison, a couple of things you're probably not aware of as a new owner. Contrary to how bikes and cars have functioned in years past, a Spyder will not start if the battery voltage drops to below 10.5 when you hit the start button. If you had only 11.8 to begin with I'm sure that's what happened. Second, from posts that have been here in the past, be very careful with the terminal bolts on the battery. They are hard to get wrenches on to turn and easy to lose. You might search the forums for some comments about that. In 2013 the battery was moved to the front and much easier to work with.

There have been lots of comments about alternate batteries to the OEM Yuasa, but the general consensus is that as far as value for money and overall quality the Yuasa OEM battery is about the best choice. If you're knew to this world don't waste your time looking for anything better. There are some, but not easy to find and definitely not easy on your wallet.

Now, as far as tires go, that's a whole nuther story!!!!! You'll suffer brain strain to the max trying to figure out what's the best way to go. One of the best cures for insomnia ever invented are tire threads on SpyderLovers!
    Amen to the brain strain on the tire thingOMG! Welcome to spyderlovers! I think your heading in the right direction on the battery. I have found that if a battery go's flat after a night in the cold or starts to turn over slow, that's usually the first sighs of get to the store for a new one, or at least a load test that will tell it all. it's good that you are running down a check list and getting all the wrench turning done now before summer really starts, and if you get into a snag, you got a good bunch of guy's and girls here to help you out! Good luck!! MIKE
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You may have to get a dealer to run the VIN. They should be willing to do that for free as you are a potential new customer.
    Yeah, the potential customer who came in to talk about used Can Am Spyders then three weeks later comes in on one.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black