Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    You didn't say ... are you single or two up?

Are you planning on cooking or are you like me and find cooking just that one task too many when camping? Too much stuff to haul. And I like my Starbucks in the morning :-)

I find that a three man tent is OK for one but you really need a four man tent for two. That way you can drag your packs, boots and helmets in at night, safe and out of the elements. The other bonus is that you can sort of semi-stand up to pull your pants on in the morning ...
    I fine the three man tent is just fine for one person. I am not very big or tall ( 5' 8" and about 150 pounds) and I am sure not going be be cooking. I get up early in the morning and on the move by 6:00 AM. I do like to stop early in the afternoon and setup my tent then go and eat and maybe a beer. To me if your wife is traveling and camping you about need a trailer. I would look at one of the small motorcycle camping trailers. My wife would have never camped. I am 80 years old and really enjoy traveling and camping if my health holds out. Last year I had a lot of health problems which stopped me on several trips. I hope I am back this year. I sure wanted to go to the Spyder Fest but I am to have eye lid surgery May 2nd.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    You didn't say ... are you single or two up?

Are you planning on cooking or are you like me and find cooking just that one task too many when camping? Too much stuff to haul. And I like my Starbucks in the morning :-)

I find that a three man tent is OK for one but you really need a four man tent for two. That way you can drag your packs, boots and helmets in at night, safe and out of the elements. The other bonus is that you can sort of semi-stand up to pull your pants on in the morning ...
    Just me, cooking, not so much, (at first), if I assume $75 or so a night at a hotel camping equipment would pay for itself fairly quickly. I'v only been riding for less than a year and sorting out how much can I carry and where actually I can carry it. Kind of think that a cot is the way to go. So tent, bag, cot, tarps to start out, so that are the essentials, then I guess it comes down to what I have room for vs anything else.

RT seems to have quite a bit of storage scattered about not sure if it is useful storage though.

I'm concerned with loading items onto the trike that are somewhat unsecured when I am not actually on the trike.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Just me, cooking, not so much, (at first), if I assume $75 or so a night at a hotel camping equipment would pay for itself fairly quickly. I'v only been riding for less than a year and sorting out how much can I carry and where actually I can carry it. Kind of think that a cot is the way to go. So tent, bag, cot, tarps to start out, so that are the essentials, then I guess it comes down to what I have room for vs anything else.

RT seems to have quite a bit of storage scattered about not sure if it is useful storage though.

I'm concerned with loading items onto the trike that are somewhat unsecured when I am not actually on the trike.
    How much space you have for camping depends on how much basic riding and living stuff you carry before you factor in the camping stuff. For me, there's no way I could carry camping stuff on the Spyder when I've got the trunks and saddlebag loaded with a rear seat luggage for my changes of clothes, pillow, bottles of distilled water for my CPAP. The CPAP pretty much occupies one saddle bag. The other one is filled with rain gear, cold weather gear, camera, and who knows what all. The frunk is loaded with a tool bag, cleaners, rags, cold weather coat, air hose, etc. I'm addicted to the Internet and email so I take a laptop. That, with its accessories, plus on the road snacks and a jacket, fills up the trunk! So I pull a trailer. It's a homemade tent trailer. In short, I've found that setting up and taking down takes about 1 to 2 hours total. So for one night stops I've decided it just isn't worth the hassle. But for two or more nights it's worthwhile. But if I'm at a get together like Spyderfest I miss out on the in-hotel parties by staying at a campground.

Then the drag a large trailer like a camper or tent trailer puts on the bike cuts down on responsiveness. And gas mileage, for me, drops about 5 to 10 mpg. So last year when I and my nephew went to Homecoming in Valcourt I opted to hotel it the whole time. The freedom from setting up and taking down and the far greater comfort of the hotels made the trip a lot more enjoyable for me.

Don't overestimate how much you'll save by camping. Good campgrounds with decent showers and restrooms typically cost $20 to $30 per night. And finding and reserving camp sites isn't quite as easy as hotel reservations. So really consider what trade offs you'll be making by camping. If your creature comfort requirement during traveling is modest, then camping can be a great way to travel. It's all a matter of personal priorities.

But I would suggest you keep open minded about a small trailer to keep your camping stuff in. It'll make things simpler than trying to squash everything into the odd-ball shaped cavities of the Spyder.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-18-2018 at 10:36 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post

I can, just, fit my 2 person tent, sleeping bag and mat in the frunk but its a tight fit. So instead I normally have my sleeping bag strapped to my back rest resting on the pillion seat. The sleeping bag I've got came with a bag that it packs into, this helps compact it down and also has straps on it which makes it easy to fasten to the spyder. The bag it packs into is supposed to be waterproof but i always line it with a plastic sack to be sure. I work on the principle that if this did get stolen it would be the easiest thing to replace.

Clothes, wash stuff etc I carry in a tank bag, I have one where the mount and bag are separate and join just using velcro so it takes a second to unfasten the bag from the bike so I carry it around with me when stopped.

Stove, food, pans, water etc in one pannier - I carry gas cans in the other as gas stations can be far apart on the routes I take. If I didnt need the space for the gas cans in one of the panniers then I wouldn't need the tankbag.

I also have a bicycle style water bottle holder on one of my panniers and carry a camel pack, never like running out of water for coffee:-)

Spyder Garage

Default Camping Gear

Years before we started riding Spyders, most of our camping gear was what we packed on a string of Burros, we had a Eureka tent that I could stand up in and the rest of the gear was semi small scale gear that could pack easily into panniers. Before I was married my hobby was hiking the PCT and I did it in stages, never had time to thru hike. I eventually made it from Mexico to Canada. We ended up with Burros when the kid came along as I had too much gear to pack. Fast forward 40 years and we started another phase in our lives with riding the Spyders and camping as my knees and ankle could no longer pound down the trails. We had spent good money on our pack gear and if you buy and Pay for quality it will last. We pull trailers and that gives us the option of staying in a Hotel or camp if we choose. Camping will extend the travel budget and at 67 years old I still love sitting around a campfire . Not all places have Hotels where you would like to stop and spend some time. We gave up tenting and I pull a small pop up tent trailer with my RT and the wife pulls a cargo or the dog trailer if we bring the dog. we have done several 2 week trips and have covered all the states West of the Mississippi and after I retire this December we will make the rest. I would recommend a small Cargo trailer as that give you more freedom and a place to pack some comfort such as a nice folding camp chair, mattress , ice chest for the steak and wine or beer for a great time at the lake or river. We have pulled our trailer for a combined mileage of over 100K and plan on doing it more. Good luck with your camping.
    Red Rock 060 - Copy.jpg Glacier Park Ride 106.jpg Glacier Park Ride 009.jpg campsite.jpg IMG_2039.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I am a WalMart shopper and so far my coleman tent has lasted me 4 years. I hate not being able to stand up to dress so I bought a tent tall enough to stand in and that ended up being a 6 man. Needless to say I roll around like a pea in a boxcar but I can stand to dress. For cooking since I am usually solo I have an ancient Svea 123 backpackers stove I bought in 1970. Small light weight and very efficient and runs on gasoline. I just get a little out of the bike tank and I'm good to go. I have had various cooking sets over the years. On the Norton size and weight were important,now not so much so I really like the newer bigger stainless steel sets. I also have added a small cast iron skillet. I don't like "camping food" so I buy regular food at the store as I need it. I have a really good sleeping bag,I don't know the brand but the thing is huge and weighs a ton,but it is soft and warm. My wife got it for me back in the Boy Scout Leadership days and it has lasted me nearly 30 years. It was a real pain on the bikes but just fine on the Spyder and should be better with the trailer. I found I can still sleep on the ground with a ground cloth under the tent and a pad under the bag. And a pillow. The days of using my chaps and leather jacket as a pillow are gone,I want my real pillow.

I have been camping twice since I got the Spyder.I did not have a trailer at the time. Since I was solo I found I could get everything on the Spyder but it was crowded and I needed to pack carefully. These days I also have to have room for my CPAP and an extension cord.It did give me a nice backrest.

Best piece of advice, practice loading several times to get the best weight distribution esp if you are traveling 2up. Practice setting up your equipment several times,even in the dark. Unload from Spyder and set it up. Then take it down and pack it again. It doesn't matter how good your equipment is if it is too big a hassle to set up take down or pack you wont use it or if you do it will lessen the joy of the trip.

Check IBMC.com for information. Also Motorcycle Camping on Delphi Forums. Also see if you can find a copy (it's out of print now look on eBay)The Complete MotorCycle Nomad. Also look for any old articles by Cliff Boswell. Also try some of the adventure motorcycling blogs and websites.Great stories and tips.

Good luck,have fun.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 03-19-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

One trick I have learnt if you have a small tent is always camp on the lee side of the Goldwing trike owner as their huge tent works as a good wind break...:-)
    DSC03296.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    One trick I have learnt if you have a small tent is always camp on the lee side of the Goldwing trike owner as their huge tent works as a good wind break...:-)
    DSC03296.jpg
    Those are some GREAT words of wisdom.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks to me like most on here would be better with a motor home. I know my wife would never camp so when she did ride we stayed in motels. When I ride alone and camp I do not take much.

I carry a 3 man tent, air mattress w/air pillow, and a good sleeping bag. That all goes in one pack on the passenger seat. I wear First Gear riding pants so all I need is one or maybe two pair of jeans to put on at night to go out to eat. I wear T-shirts or light shirts under an Olympia vented jacket and carry my heated liner if in the mountains where it gets cold and always have rain gear with me. I have a shaving kit and carry a change of underwear for everyday. Everything here will go in the saddle bags. I do use a CPAP machine but it stays home when I am camping. I don’t have a stove, coffee pot, gas can, a chair or snakes. What I carry is for people that just want to ride and sight see and not want all the comforts of home. Someone on here said it takes 1-2 hours to setup and tear down. It takes me about ½ hour. I will admit this is not for everybody but I really enjoy it and run into a lot of people in campgrounds that travel like this. A lot of people at Sturgis do. I am 80 years old I don’t know how long I can continue but I hope I can for awhile.

If you are new at this don’t let people discourage you by thinking you have to carry all this equipment. Take a short 3 or 4 day trip and see what you really feel that you need. In the 1950’s I did some motorcycle trips camping. My first really was Sturgis 1999. I had been going to Sturgis for years. I was staying in a motel at Wall, So Dakota about 70 miles from Sturgis. It was hard to find motels plus they were so expensive. I got there that year could not find a room. I went to a camping store and purchase the cheapest tent, air mattress and sleeping bag I could find. Found a campground with a shower and stayed three nights then went on to Yellowstone Park and camped every night. I really enjoyed it except the sleeping bag was not warm enough and it rained one night and the tent leaked pretty bad. Going home the last morning on the trip I threw all the camping gear in the trash. It had more than paid for itself. The next trip I had purchased all new equipment not any real expensive equipment. Larger tent better air mattress and much better sleeping bag. I look for how it will pack to carry. Don’t go out and buy the best you may not like camping or you will find better equipment you like.

Here is a picture of my F6B loaded for a two week trip in 2016. I was gone for two weeks about 4800 miles. My Spyder will have more room than the F6B.

2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Camping

45 years ago all I had was a tarp thrown over the bike staked down, an old WW2 army sleeping bag and a ground cloth for my cross country trips, a few cans of sardines and some beans, I still have my P38 can opener in my wallet. Had some great trips and some really bad ones back then but they are still great memories. Now I still love to camp but want and need more comfort. This photo is when we had the 2013 RT but we both have 2016 RTLs now.
    Spyder camping 4-13-14 010.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    It looks to me like most on here would be better with a motor home. ..
    Yeah, cause we're mostly old! We've had our share of sleeping on the ground back in the day. Now we want a hot shower and comfy mattress at the end of the day.

Me, I'd moto camp if I was on an adventure bike and able to get off the beaten path. My other half isn't keen on sleeping on the ground, so we had a motorhome for that. Plus air B&B these days are quite affordable.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Yeah, cause we're mostly old! We've had our share of sleeping on the ground back in the day. Now we want a hot shower and comfy mattress at the end of the day.

Me, I'd moto camp if I was on an adventure bike and able to get off the beaten path. My other half isn't keen on sleeping on the ground, so we had a motorhome for that. Plus air B&B these days are quite affordable.
    I am pretty young, I am only 80 and my first camping trip was to during Sturgis in 1955. I only camp in camp grounds that have showers and do use an air mattress so it is not to bad.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Aspen trailer all the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

She tows the Roll-A-Home with her Spyder and I tow a small one-wheel trailer with my CTX700. We like the combination.

20170826_121600 (Medium) - Copy.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no way I would ever pull a trailer with any kind of motorcycle. They are all over on here not to use car tires on a Spyders its not safe but it is okay to pull a trailer. No motorcycle was never designed to pull a trailer. I have seen people pull trailers loaded weight more than the motorcycle. This is my feelings I have seen a lot of accidents pulling trailers. Everyone tells me you don't even know it is back there until you go into a corner to fast. Probably a Spyder is better than two wheels for a trailer. I do camp but I will stay in a motel before I pull a trailer. I know a lot of people on here is going to disagree with me.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Camping gear

There is no way I would ever pull a trailer with any kind of motorcycle. They are all over on here not to use car tires on a Spyders its not safe but it is okay to pull a trailer. No motorcycle was never designed to pull a trailer. I have seen people pull trailers loaded weight more than the motorcycle. This is my feelings I have seen a lot of accidents pulling trailers. Everyone tells me you don't even know it is back there until you go into a corner to fast. Probably a Spyder is better than two wheels for a trailer. I do camp but I will stay in a motel before I pull a trailer. I know a lot of people on here is going to disagree with me.
    I will disagree with you 100%, if BRP did not want us pulling trailers with our Spyders their Lawyers would have never let them market a hitch and a trailer. All one has to do is use a small amount of common sense , on weight and speed. You go ahead and stay in a hotel if it makes you feel safer, I'll enjoy my campfire and glass of wine by the lake. I would agree with you a little bit about pulling a trailer with just two wheels, but our Spyders are an entirely different animal. Just my opinion and we all know what that's worth.
    Enjoy your ride.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Except the Can Am Spyder RT. It was designed from day 1 to pull a trailer including a setting in the computer for trailer pulling,a factory trailer, and a factory trailer hitch. So yes we are going to disagree with you when applied to the Spyder. The only thing that can not be allowed for in the nut holding the handlebars. Its the same with towing a trailer with a car or truck,you need to remember it IS there and compensate accordingly. If you want to continue with your motorcycle thinking have at it and I applaud your safety consciousness even tho I disagree with the direction you are going.

After 50+ years of all brands of motorcycles safely pulling trailers I don't see the reluctance of OEMs to openly design trailer pulling into some models,but that's another discussion.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    She tows the Roll-A-Home with her Spyder and I tow a small one-wheel trailer with my CTX700. We like the combination.

20170826_121600 (Medium) - Copy.jpg
    That's got to be WAY over 400# tow limit on Spyder! 385# dry weight of trailer + cargo box + cargo = 500# maybe?

From their website; Empty weight of trailer including wheels, tires and axle is approximately 325 lb for the standard model and 385 lb for the wide model.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 03-22-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's got to be WAY over 400# tow limit on Spyder!
    I was thinking the same

Spyder Garage

Default Camping Gear

I'm at 430 lbs. with the box of campfire wood. I guess I'm living on the edge ! Out of control and just don't know it!

IMG_2038.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess it is what people like. I ride to fast and try to cover to much distance to have a trailer. The Spyder is probably the safest cycle to pull a trailer. After looking at the trailer they make for the Spyder is probably pretty good. I always travel alone so I don't need to carry much. I just enjoy the riding and I have good camping equipment and it don't take me long to setup or tear down. I don't very often stay more than one night other than Sturgis so I don't like to be pulling a trailer around everywhere I go.
    Last edited by gerald37; 03-22-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's got to be WAY over 400# tow limit on Spyder! 385# dry weight of trailer + cargo box + cargo = 500# maybe?

From their website; Empty weight of trailer including wheels, tires and axle is approximately 325 lb for the standard model and 385 lb for the wide model.
    Yep, might be.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess it is what people like. I ride to fast and try to cover to much distance to have a trailer. The Spyder is probably the safest cycle to pull a trailer. After looking at the trailer they make for the Spyder is probably pretty good. I always travel alone so I don't need to carry much. I just enjoy the riding and I have good camping equipment and it don't take me long to setup or tear down. I don't very often stay more than one night other than Sturgis so I don't like to be pulling a trailer around everywhere I go.
    I've got a cheap HF Tagalong trailer. I've pulled it over 5000 miles with my RT at speeds up to 85 mph. The bike has no problem with it and neither do I. Having said that, I understand the desire to avoid using a trailer at all, and if I could still do the backpacking thing with a 1/2" insulating pad on the ground and just a mummy bag inside a bivvy sack, I would. However, I like more comfort plus I have to use a CPAP machine at night now, so the trailer has just the right amount of additional capacity so my camping trips aren't overly compromised.

Pulling a light-weight trailer with the right running gear does NOT limit the speed or maneuverability of the Spyder at all.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Now we can definitely see from the answers to the original post that we have three basic groups of campers on SpyderLovers:

• Light camping - what you can easily carry on a bike
    • Heavy camping – trailer or caravan is essential
    • And…where’s the nearest 5-star hotel?

I’m going to guess Tyris is asking about the Light option. As I was packing my Spyder up for another trip this weekend I thought I’d take time to note down exactly what I take. In this case I’m going to be camping at the side of the road rather than at a camp site as I’ll be off the beaten track. I know brands are going to be different but hopefully this will help:

• Tent – light weight, 2 person. Bought this from a Hunting and Fishing shop as I find camping gear tends to be good quality but cheaper from those places than dedicated camping shops.
    • Self-inflating sleeping pad, again from a Hunting and Fishing shop.
    • Sleeping bag – tramping (hiking) model so it packs up small,has hood so very warm, from shop called Kathmandu. I think it’s supposed to be water proof though fortunately never had to test that.
    • Pillow case - I fill this with spare clothes etc to make a pillow.
    • Towel – Can’t underestimate how important this is - and no I’m not having a Douglas Adams moment:-). I have small camping one from Katmandu that packs up very small but somehow seems to be able to absorb tonnes of water. Dries quickly as well. If you’ve just ridden and setup camp in the rain just being able to dry yourself easily is a real luxury. Also means you can wash easily - I'm sorry but drying yourself off with an old, dirty t-shirt is just not the same.
    • Wash stuff
    • Small Tarp - make previously mentioned
    • Small stove - make previously mentioned
    • Small bottle of petrol for stove - Primus
    • Long matches - which I’ve covered in wax to keep dry
    • Two camping pans - one for cooking, one for water – bought from The Warehouse
    • Small plastic cup, spoon and fork – The Warehouse
    • Tupperware container - Keep matches, cup and spoon in this but also use it as bowl and the lid as plate
    • Swiss Army Knife - Used to carry a multi-tool but have recently gone back to using a Swiss army knife as its more compact and the tools are better on it
    • Water - bottle and camel pack.
    • Food
    • Clothing – I don’t carry much but to me the important layer is the base layer which I try and change every day. For the base layer I have “Earth Sea Sky” Silk Weight T-shirts and Icebreaker Merino boxers. These pack up very very small, wash and dry quickly – plus they are both very comfortable. Both are made from smell resistant materials:-)
    • LED head torch - Energizer
    • 5 extra tent pegs - to fix down Tarp and stove if windy or on uneven ground
    • Cord - For hanging stuff on to dry
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 03-24-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Now we can definitely see from the answers to the original post that we have three basic groups of campers on SpyderLovers:

• Light camping - what you can easily carry on a bike
    • Heavy camping – trailer or caravan is essential
    • And…where’s the nearest 5-star hotel?

I’m going to guess Tyris is asking about the Light option. As I was packing my Spyder up for another trip this weekend I thought I’d take time to note down exactly what I take. In this case I’m going to be camping at the side of the road rather than at a camp site as I’ll be off the beaten track. I know brands are going to be different but hopefully this will help:

• Tent – light weight, 2 person. Bought this from a Hunting and Fishing shop as I find camping gear tends to be good quality but cheaper from those places than dedicated camping shops.
    • Self-inflating sleeping pad, again from a Hunting and Fishing shop.
    • Sleeping bag – tramping (hiking) model so it packs up small,has hood so very warm, from shop called Kathmandu. I think it’s supposed to be water proof though fortunately never had to test that.
    • Pillow case - I fill this with spare clothes etc to make a pillow.
    • Towel – Can’t underestimate how important this is - and no I’m not having a Douglas Adams moment:-). I have small camping one from Katmandu that packs up very small but somehow seems to be able to absorb tonnes of water. Dries quickly as well. If you’ve just ridden and setup camp in the rain just being able to dry yourself easily is a real luxury. Also means you can wash easily - I'm sorry but drying yourself off with an old, dirty t-shirt is just not the same.
    • Wash stuff
    • Small Tarp - make previously mentioned
    • Small stove - make previously mentioned
    • Small bottle of petrol for stove - Primus
    • Long matches - which I’ve covered in wax to keep dry
    • Two camping pans - one for cooking, one for water – bought from The Warehouse
    • Small plastic cup, spoon and fork – The Warehouse
    • Tupperware container - Keep matches, cup and spoon in this but also use it as bowl and the lid as plate
    • Swiss Army Knife - Used to carry a multi-tool but have recently gone back to using a Swiss army knife as its more compact and the tools are better on it
    • Water - bottle and camel pack.
    • Food
    • Clothing – I don’t carry much but to me the important layer is the base layer which I try and change every day. For the base layer I have “Earth Sea Sky” Silk Weight T-shirts and Icebreaker Merino boxers. These pack up very very small, wash and dry quickly – plus they are both very comfortable. Both are made from smell resistant materials:-)
    • LED head torch - Energizer
    • 5 extra tent pegs - to fix down Tarp and stove if windy or on uneven ground
    • Cord - For hanging stuff on to dry
    Excellent post, thanks.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black