Spyder Garage

Default Front tires question

I’ve got a 2011 RT so it’s got the 14” tires. I see a lot on here about 15” tires, did a search and didn’t see much about the 14”. I went to about 5 tire dealers today. Not one had a tire that would work according to them. Pep Boys had one that was same size, but rating was wrong. Not a single one would mount and balance a tire. What tire does everybody use for 14”. Who will mount and balance it ? Dealer won’t even talk about it with me. Has anyone ever used harbor freight tire mounting stuff and their balancer ? I’ve mounted tires on farm equipment, and pickups, can’t be much different. How do you keep from scratching up the rims though. Thanks

Spyder Garage

The right tools for the job.
    Rim protectors:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And don't forget to balance if you install your own!
    http://www.marcparnes.com/
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    I’ve got a 2011 RT so it’s got the 14” tires. I see a lot on here about 15” tires, did a search and didn’t see much about the 14”. I went to about 5 tire dealers today. Not one had a tire that would work according to them. Pep Boys had one that was same size, but rating was wrong. Not a single one would mount and balance a tire. What tire does everybody use for 14”. Who will mount and balance it ? Dealer won’t even talk about it with me. Has anyone ever used harbor freight tire mounting stuff and their balancer ? I’ve mounted tires on farm equipment, and pickups, can’t be much different. How do you keep from scratching up the rims though. Thanks
    I'm running 175/65/14 on front of mine. Fits real good and you don't have to shim the fenders either. A little snug getting them in but works great and doesn't upset the nanny either.
    David

Spyder Garage

I just put on a pair of Pirelli's 165/65/14. This is the stock size tire. They fit without any modifications to the fenders. Ride great. Any independent dealer can get them. The rims can be balanced on a standard machine.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I'm running 175/65/14 on front of mine. Fits real good and you don't have to shim the fenders either. A little snug getting them in but works great and doesn't upset the nanny either.
    David
    Find the size you need and the brand on the www then take the wheels off the Spyder, take them and the tires to the dealer. Ask them to mount and balance them. If they ask what they go to, and they won't, just say it is a project vehicle or a trailer you are making. The tire dealers will mount and balance them, take them the wheels without the center cap and it will get done.

Bring them home and put them back on the Byke. If you don't have a torque wrench buy one at Harbor Freight.

Bon Chance,
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I think the best tire is !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    This tire isn't well known here, the " Vredestein " in 165/65-14, I believe this is the highest rated ( wet & dry performance ) tire in your size made today........ If My RT could use this size I would BUY them in a heartbeat...... but the RT is 15inch ..... Mike PS,I just checked and this tire comes in some good sizes for a 15inch wheel also ..., But I just mounted the General Altimax RT43 and expect another 30,000 + miles on it
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-22-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

When I had my 08 GS with 14" rims and it was time for front tires I went with the General Altimax, but I don't remember the exact size. (Pirelli would be an excellent choice too). I think it was stock or close to it. As I remember it, it fit a little tight, but nothing major. I do remember it was a really good front tire, much much better than the OEM Kendas. Sorry, my details are little vague, but that was about 4 years ago now.

If you can't find a tire shop that'll do the ordering and installation, then try ordering the tires on-line and then have a preselected local independent motorcycle shop do the installation. The rims are car rims, but small enough to fit on most motorcycle tire changing and balancing equipment.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have the HF tire changer and the attachment for motorcycle wheels that mounts to it. I used both for mounting my rear tire and it worked well. When I did my front tires I didn't need the motorcycle wheel attachment. I also have their bubble balancer and motorcycle balancer, the motorcycle balancer worked for the rear wheel and the bubble balancer did the fronts. I made a couple modifications to the tire changers to make them work better but that's part of the fun of DIY.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I just put on a pair of Pirelli's 165/65/14. This is the stock size tire. They fit without any modifications to the fenders. Ride great. Any independent dealer can get them. The rims can be balanced on a standard machine.
    AND.....no Spyder or tire dealer should balk at mounting HIGHER weight-rated tires.
    If they do, please come here and let us know who did that.......so we can stay away.

Spyder Garage

+1 on all of the above, One of my riding buddy's with a 2012 RT just bought a pair of the General Altimax RT43 in 175/65R14 from Tire Rack.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the replies

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A lot of people use the Bridgestone Potenzas in the stock size.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Tireseasy.com have federals . 3 day delivery and our dealer mounted and installed on 2011 RT. $104 for pair 165/65x14. Feel great riding,much better then Kenda's

Spyder Garage

Took my new tires along with the old Kendas and wheels to Costco and they mounted and balanced without questions. Also filled with nitrogen.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

We have installed quite a number of the Bridgestone Potenza 165/65/14 on the 2012 and older Spyders. Its a great tire at a good price and runs well on the Spyder. We used to stock them but simply do not install enough of the 14" tires any longer to keep them in stock. But I did order in a pair and install them just last week so they are available.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure

Thanks everyone, I’m going with the Potenza. What tire pressure should I put in them ?

Spyder Garage

I just put a set of potenzas on my 2012 rt that we ride 2up most of the time and I un 19 psi, and they seem to handle much better and wore the nobbies off even.

Spyder Garage

Default Vredestein 165/65/R14

BLUEKNIGHT911 what model tire were you looking at? I value your opinion and you do a lot of research on tires. My Kendas are wearing fine but have a 45 mph shake that can not be balanced out. I reversed rotation and they work fine as long as it does not rain! Time to recycle them.

Spyder Garage

Default The Vredestein tire

Quote Originally Posted by speedycoop View Post
    BLUEKNIGHT911 what model tire were you looking at? I value your opinion and you do a lot of research on tires. My Kendas are wearing fine but have a 45 mph shake that can not be balanced out. I reversed rotation and they work fine as long as it does not rain! Time to recycle them.
    The " Quatrac 5 " ..... Vredestein's aren't well know and might be hard to find .... I know the TireRack sells them ... but they don't ship for free so it's pricier unless you live near one of their shipping centers ...... Mike ........... PS - PM me if you have questions because I almost didn't read this one .............

Spyder Garage

Default Vredestein 165/65/R14

Tire Rack has them with no tax and free shipping! They are on the way! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PURCHASE

Quote Originally Posted by speedycoop View Post
    Tire Rack has them with no tax and free shipping! They are on the way! Thanks!
    The free shipping on some tires ( at Tire Rack ) is something new ......... and that price ( w/ free shipping ) is quite decent ............ Please report your impressions of this tire ( for us all ) ..... A few people here are now using them ....so your input would be helpful ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Tires installed

Look like a nice quality product! Fresh stock made this year, run quiet, smooth, stick to the road nice and very little weight to balance. Will have to wait till I get caught in the rain to see how they perform on wet roads.