Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Many problems with this 2009 it seems

So last week went to Myrtle beach with it. All was fine riding it. We were in stop and go traffic and revved it up and was just having fun. Thenthe throttlw got stuck and had to turn it off. Wouldn’t crank back up. Towed it home. Still wouldn’t crank. Sound like it wasn’t getting fuel. Check the one spark plug that is easy to get to and fully charged the battery. It then cranked up. Ride about 30 mins and it died again and when cranked back up it just sounded different and I smelled gas. Also was very sluggish and didn’t want to get out of second gear or gonpast 50mph . Of course no fault codes came up. One dealership said for $105 a hour they will plug it up and say what’s wrong. Another dealership said sounds like “limp mode” he said modifications could be doing that. So how out of no where my mods do this? I have the 2 brothers dual exhaust and the juice box. So tomorrow I’m taking out the juice box and putting in the NGK iridium spark plugs. Hopefully it will run right then

Spyder Garage

Tomorrow I’m gonna figure out how to take this air box off

Spyder Garage

I don't have an RS so I don't have any words of wisdom. However, I am sure that there will be some good folk that come on with advice. Is the bike new to you and do have any maintenance history for it? I would search the archives of this site and try to find a reputable dealership in your area to run the bike through a full assessment. it may be something simple like vacuum hoses or a combination of things that need some attention to get you back on the road. Good luck and have faith! Like the color of the bike by the way!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have not experienced this nor read about it, but my Spyder Sense, pun fully intended, is telling me that the vacuume hoses and accompanying rubber tubing is in need of repair and replacement.

But then that is just one real consideration that I would check. The iridium plugs and a K&M air filter won't hurt you a bit either.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Why does everyone think it’s a vacuum hose? No one thinks it could be the two brothers juice box since the spyder is sensitive ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    Why does everyone think it’s a vacuum hose? No one thinks it could be the two brothers juice box since the spyder is sensitive ?
    I have a GS with dual Two Bros and a juice box. It's a great combo.

The vacuum hoses will deteriorate after a while, get cracks in them. Replacing them with new silicone hoses is a cheap, easy and long lasting fix.

While you're replacing the plugs, be sure to replace the wires too. The OEMs become embrittled after time and start arcing and sparking. BahaRon's spark plug wires are the best out there.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default issues

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post

The vacuum hoses will deteriorate after a while, get cracks in them. Replacing them with new silicone hoses is a cheap, easy and long lasting fix.

While you're replacing the plugs, be sure to replace the wires too. The OEMs become embrittled after time and start arcing and sparking. BahaRon's spark plug wires are the best out there.
    ..... Considering the age of the Spyder this is where I would start .....and for the most part less than great dealers LOVE to Blame any after-market item on the Spyder as the CAUSE ..... A BUDS print-out of any codes that are in the computer is very helpful ..... But it would really take about 15 min. max. to get that print-out ....Sooooo they are charging you $ 432 hr. labor .....good luck,...... Mike

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not only the vacuum hoses can be an issue, but the boot between the throttle body and engine can develop cracks and let in unmetered air. If you tear it down to replace the plugs, check those two areas. Just had a friend in Alabama go through that with his 998. Doing pretty much the same thing.

Spyder Garage

Well already bought the plugs. Bike has $7k Miles on it. If it’s this dang fragile then ppl need to stop buying them. I’m in process right this second in unhooking the juice box and putting new plugs in. No didn’t think of buying wires also. Will keep you posted. Top of air filter box wasn’t hard to remove

Spyder Garage

So took the 6 screws off around the top. Slid air box up. Now that last spark plug wire is being difficult to come off

Spyder Garage

Took out the 6 screws around the throttle bodies and lifted in the air box up. Spark plug didn’t want to come out but finally did. Thing cranked and ran fine. Sputters some but runs great

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post

This WILL help.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your problems. My 2009 was a dream come true. I loved it. I will sy, I bought it new and did some radical changes (at the time). Check out my website and see my Yellow Bee. BTW, I'm offering free freight for the rest of March. All you need to d is email me rather than ordering thrum website...that's a $445. savings.
    Ride in comfort.
    John

Spyder Garage

Is this the 2 vacuum hoses?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

BEtter pix

Spyder Garage

They look fine to me and this spot here two came off different sizes

Spyder Garage

Being you have the the bigger one off might as well change it too. The 2 smaller hoses are the ones they are talking about. Real easy to get to with the air box off. Mine was missing also like yours and found a bad plug wire. It would sometimes arch out of the boot and you could see the spark. Once I replaced the wires all was fine.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Being you have the the bigger one off might as well change it too. The 2 smaller hoses are the ones they are talking about. Real easy to get to with the air box off. Mine was missing also like yours and found a bad plug wire. It would sometimes arch out of the boot and you could see the spark. Once I replaced the wires all was fine.
    David

Ok the hoses look perfect so put them back on. Then checked the spark plug wire on the difficult side and BAM it’s arcing. So that HAS to be the problem lol

Spyder Garage

Ok the hoses look perfect so put them back on. Then checked the spark plug wire on the difficult side and BAM it’s arcing. So that HAS to be the problem lol
    If it is doing that you have found it. Mine was acting crazy almost like it was running out of gas. I would put new hoses on instead of the old ones. If you have a NAPA store around you get this for the 2 hoses https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...ue&indices=PIA
    David

Spyder Garage

Ron has some good plug wires. For a temporary fix you can wrap the boot with electrical tape and that will allow you to ride some while waiting on new plug wires. Only use this as a temp fix. I did the same thing while waiting on plug wires to come in.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Ron has some good plug wires. For a temporary fix you can wrap the boot with electrical tape and that will allow you to ride some while waiting on new plug wires. Only use this as a temp fix. I did the same thing while waiting on plug wires to come in.
    David

Yes about to get the MSD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

... Sorry but that doesn't " HAVE to be the problem " ..... I don't understand why you seem to be ADAMANT about refusing to change to Silicone tubing .... Do you really feel everyone who has identified this as a KNOWN issue is BS'ing you ...... Or do you feel that the OEM tubing is going to last forever , so spending $1.50 for new silicone tubing is a waste of time and money ...... I fail to understand your logic on this ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default did the change also hoses !

IMG_20171111_135739.jpgIMG_20171111_135824.jpg MINE WERE A LITTLE EGG SHAPED ON THE ENDS ... ( ALTHOUGH THE 2012 DID NOT SPUTTER AND KICK LIKE YOUR DISCRIPTION )

Spyder Garage

Default good on ya

good for you to go after the problem child , and fix your cycle ! she rip and roar down the road now ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... Sorry but that doesn't " HAVE to be the problem " ..... I don't understand why you seem to be ADAMANT about refusing to change to Silicone tubing .... Do you really feel everyone who has identified this as a KNOWN issue is BS'ing you ...... Or do you feel that the OEM tubing is going to last forever , so spending $1.50 for new silicone tubing is a waste of time and money ...... I fail to understand your logic on this ............. Mike
    Easy Mike, you know the old saying, you can lead him to water but you can't make him drink!
    2012 RTL , Pearl