Thread: BRAKE PAD WEAR

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PAD WEAR

HELLO fellow SPYD3R people....

i have a 2015 F3-S SE-6 that i purchased new in Feb. 2015... at 17,417 miles i was in great need of front brake pads, since the left side went down to the metal and married the rotor.... i replaced the left rotor and all 4 pads for both sides... i thought that was a bit odd that i needed pads this soon... having had this situation, i became cautious and inspected them more often that i normally would... well at 33,138 miles, i was in need of more front pads (back pads were fine up to this point).... so again, i replaced them.... now at 44,922 miles of smiles, i'm looking at 1/16" left of meat on the fronts... both sides, all 4 pads at exactly the same, 1/16".... just ordered 2 sets of the EBC FA640HH pads from Ron @ BAJA RON, and he states he sells many more 'pads' & 'rotors' for the F3's that for other models....

Question: has anyone else had this same situation...? or is it just me and the way i ride....?
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Pads

MUST be the Way you Ryde. KEEP it under 70 and they might last a LITTLE LONGER.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Pad wear

Wow and not in a good way ..... My experience with my 14 RT-SE is thus, 30,011 miles on the rears and they were worn the max they could be without Rotor damage ..... Just checked the fronts ( for the 4th. time ) at 36,599 mi. and I will check again at 41,000mi. there is still good pad left .............. So from your experience and Ron's input, I think the factory setting for allowable pressure is TOO MUCH and the pads are dragging ..... The F-3 even the Ltd. is 150 +/- lbs lighter then the RT....... You can check this by after driving 5 miles or slow down using the transmission and after stopping check the temp of the Rotor .... I DON'T recommend touching it, because if they are dragging too much they will get HOT enough to give you a burn blister... use a Thermal gun to do it, that's the only way you know the actual temp. .....good luck and keep us posted if possible ..... Mike .... PS I don't use engine braking - Unless I'm riding at the Max in the Twisties
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-13-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Although mine is an RS manual the rears were changed at 35,000 and still in fair shape but was traveling and changed the rear tire so did them anyway. The fronts now have over 40,000 on them and still in fair condition. Do have a set from BajaRon on hand...It is all in the driving style and load manual and semi-auto. I do use the engine for braking alot....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have replaced fronts and rears with as few as 8000 miles. I have seen them last 50,000. Mine are currently at 27,000 on all three and in ok shape. It all comes down to how you ride. I do tend to be light on the brakes in flat terrain and use the down shift a good deal.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default CHEWIE

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Although mine is an RS manual the rears were changed at 35,000 and still in fair shape but was traveling and changed the rear tire so did them anyway. The fronts now have over 40,000 on them and still in fair condition. Do have a set from BajaRon on hand...It is all in the driving style and load manual and semi-auto. I do use the engine for braking alot....
    Chewie;
    while talking with Ron today, he told me something i never knew... on the RS models, when you apply the brakes; the rear brake comes on before and stay on after the fronts activate... this is most likely why your front pads are lasting longer than the rear...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R