Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Retiring soon, vehicle / trailer recommendations.

I’m hoping to retire in a couple of years and I wanted to reach out to the several lucky folks that have already retired and have found solutions to some of these questions. I have an old PT cruiser that has survived 3 teenage daughters (now graduated college) which is getting long in the tooth so it’s time to look for a new vehicle before it dies on me. I’m looking for a replacement with future needs and activities in mind. The wife and I would like to take several 3-4 week trips a year while retired and drive around the country trailering the F3. She’s good for riding once we get somewhere, but not riding the bike to get there. I’m thinking that the Spyder and a trailer would run around 1500 – 2000 Lbs. Most of the SUV’s that I’ve looked at are rated for 3500 Lbs, way more than I need. Here’s some questions that I would like to start with. If some of you can think of anything that I’ve missed, please feel free to add to the list. Thanks everyone.

Is it better to trailer the F3 with an enclosed (10’ single axle) or open trailer. Pros and cons of each.

Recommendations for manufacturers (function / quality) of both types.

Suitable mid-level SUV (Rav4, Escape, Santa Fe etc.) to safely tow the trailer as I don’t want a large second vehicle.

Do you need a factory towing package to do this (transmission cooler) with some of them, would you recommend one or are some OK without it?

Are there places that rent an open or enclosed trailer wide enough to load the Spyder onto and are economical to rent for a 3-4-week period?

Is it worth getting a trailer if you’re only going to use it a few times a year? Storage in mind when not using it.

Spyder Garage

There is/was a Droptail trailer for sale just across the State from you in Melbourne for $2k that is a steal and ideal for open carry of a Spyder. The trailer only weighs about 850 pounds and it hauls my F3S or Harley Tri Glide Ultra with ease behind my 2015 Honda Odyssey which is rated for 3500 pounds towing capacity. The Odyssey holds all kinds of gear and luggage.
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 03-13-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

I personally would go with an enclosed trailer. The Spyder is inside out of the elements and under lock and key. I have an Aluma (6x10) enclosed trailer that I put my RT in if I need to trailer it somewhere. It's a tight fit through the doorway but it works. Your F3 is narrower than an RT so it would not be a problem but depending on the brand of trailer you just need to make sure the doorway is wide enough. Also with an enclosed trailer you can carry other stuff as well such as some tools, riding gear etc.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

If you are a couple of years away from retirement, you're obviously planning ahead, which is always good. Take your time and choose wisely. Here are a couple of thoughts:

You don't have to buy new; there are usually plenty of excellent used trailers around at fair prices.

Open or closed is a matter of preference, but think of this: is it possible that you will or could wind up using the trailer for purposes other than hauling your Spyder? A closed cargo trailer will likely provide more flexibility. It could also be used as a place to store your Spyder when you're not ryding it, or other stuff that might take up garage space where you could park your Spyder. Will friends or family want to borrow it from time to time to move things? A cargo trailer will require its own parking place, which could be bigger than an open trailer, especially if it's collapsible. It will likely weigh more than an open trailer, which could determine both hitch capacity and pulling vehicle choice. Closed will give better protection from the elements, but open will be lighter with less drag when hauling, likely cost less, and be just as effective in transporting your Spyder.

Your Spyder weighs roughly 1000 pounds; add that to weight of the trailer and any additional bits you might also carry, and you can then calculate the hitch/towing capacity required. Don't go too cheap or too light. Better to have some excess capacity rather than not enough. Have good tires, check pressures, keep wheel bearings lubricated, use safety chains and keep all lights in good working order. I personally prefer larger diameter wheels over smaller; a drop axle will help keep the trailer bed lower to the ground and often perform better on the road. There are some good ones with 3500 rating. You will have better re-sale possibilities when the time comes if you have bought a trailer with features that others will also want.

In short, think through all the possibilities of trailer use/storage you might have beyond just the Spyder. In my case, I found a purpose-built, used, open aluminum trailer, specially made by a Spyder RT owner, who no longer needed it after he bought a toy hauler. I snatched it up at a bargain price a month before I even bought my F3L. I did it simply so that I could haul the F3 from winter-time Canada to FL, so as to make my bike ryding a 12-month proposition instead of six months. Even if I had not later gone through with my Spyder purchase, I was pretty certain I could soon have found a buyer for the trailer. Look around; you'll likely find something like that for yourself. Good luck.

PS: as for vehicle choice, a mid-range SUV would do fine, whichever brand you like; however, I would go with a trailer package option included, in preference to a later add-on.
    Last edited by bushrat; 03-13-2018 at 09:15 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tow Vehicle

The only car that I think .... might not be able to tow one Spyder , would be the " SMART " car .......... if you get a trailer that encloses the Spyder , I suggest an Aluminum one .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Open utility trailer - heavy

We purchased a 7x10 open utility trailer which I think is heavy but no problem because it is pulled with an F150 4x4 PU.

I wouldn't go with anything smaller as this size works well with either an F3 or RT.

YellowBus.jpg
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default OPTINION ONLY

MY OPINION;
    Is it better to trailer the F3 with an enclosed (10’ single axle) or open trailer. Pros and cons of each. ALWAYS better for enclosed trailer... no down-side to this, other than you may burn a few gallons of gas extra on your trip...

Suitable mid-level SUV (Rav4, Escape, Santa Fe etc.) to safely tow the trailer as I don’t want a large second vehicle. There are many makes that come from the factory with the OEM Tranny Coolers already installed... look for one that has it... if not, SUMMIT RACING or other auto-parts companies will sell you one, and they are very easy to install... ALL models you've stated have enough power for towing a SPYD3R & trailer...
    Do you need a factory towing package to do this (transmission cooler) with some of them, would you recommend one or are some OK without it? See previous answer...

Are there places that rent an open or enclosed trailer wide enough to load the Spyder onto and are economical to rent for a 3-4-week period? Many dealers will accomodate your needs, call in advance and they will direct you to the proper equipment...

Is it worth getting a trailer if you’re only going to use it a few times a year? Storage in mind when not using it. All depends on your pocket book, and your trust in a rental unit... also, if you do not have a garage to store your SPYD3R, and should you buy an enclosed trailer, you can use that for storing your new toy...

Whatever you do, do it safely and enjoy your retirement....

Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Tow vehicle..... I am very pleased with my Buick Enclave. It has full time all wheel drive and a towing capacity of 4,500 Lbs. I chose this car over other considerations because of its' higher towing capacity. Overall, the best vehicle I have owned. And besides, retired and other old people MUST drive a Buick.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Excellent..........

All of the above comments are very, very good. They've all covered just about every option you could think of.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where will you tow to? If you plan to go over high mountain passes, remember there's roughly a 3% loss in Hp/1000ft elevation. We towed two bikes on a Kendon (1000-1200lbs) with a V6 Murano over 12,000ft passes and was able to maintain the posted speed limit without problem. Personally, I'd go with a V6 over a 4-cylinder.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Responses to my post.

I just want to thank everyone that has responded to my questions. WowKeep them coming.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Have a friend with a Ford Edge and an open trailer for her F3T. Great setup and a nice SUV for everyday use.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by always young View Post
    I’m hoping to retire in a couple of years and I wanted to reach out to the several lucky folks that have already retired and have found solutions to some of these questions. I have an old PT cruiser that has survived 3 teenage daughters (now graduated college) which is getting long in the tooth so it’s time to look for a new vehicle before it dies on me. I’m looking for a replacement with future needs and activities in mind. The wife and I would like to take several 3-4 week trips a year while retired and drive around the country trailering the F3. She’s good for riding once we get somewhere, but not riding the bike to get there. I’m thinking that the Spyder and a trailer would run around 1500 – 2000 Lbs. Most of the SUV’s that I’ve looked at are rated for 3500 Lbs, way more than I need. Here’s some questions that I would like to start with. If some of you can think of anything that I’ve missed, please feel free to add to the list. Thanks everyone.

Is it better to trailer the F3 with an enclosed (10’ single axle) or open trailer. Pros and cons of each.

Recommendations for manufacturers (function / quality) of both types.

Suitable mid-level SUV (Rav4, Escape, Santa Fe etc.) to safely tow the trailer as I don’t want a large second vehicle.

Do you need a factory towing package to do this (transmission cooler) with some of them, would you recommend one or are some OK without it?

Are there places that rent an open or enclosed trailer wide enough to load the Spyder onto and are economical to rent for a 3-4-week period?

Is it worth getting a trailer if you’re only going to use it a few times a year? Storage in mind when not using it.
    I recently retired, and bought a 7 by 10 foot tilt trailer for my Spyder. The trailer has a release pin that allows the trailer to tilt, so the Spyder (or whatever) I need to load can drive right up on it. I have a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with the V6 to pull it. I have had this trailer for three months so far, and use it quite often, but can not tell you how it works for the Spyder since I have not put the Spyder on it yet.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

I pull 2014 rts. On a alumi trailer 425 pounds. Behind my 2013 Toyota Avalon. Works great. It has a drop down tail ramp that makes for easy load and unload.Try to remember to put windshield down.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Talk about having it all. Beautiful lady, beautiful trike and a nice bus! Ride safe and have fun!

Spyder Garage

Default Ford Escape

My wife and I tow our F3 on an open trailer behind our Escape. It's got a 2.3 liter turbo and NO factory towing package. It does just fine. Make sure that you have generous spare width on your trailer, I only had about two inches on either side to the wheels and maneuvering the Spyder on the trailer used to be a nightmare. I eventually cut off the superstructure of the trailer to make things easier. If price is no object, consider the Ultimate Trailer, it looks like a great choice, but a well optioned open one runs almost six grand which was more than I was willing to pay.

Spyder Garage

I do a lot of towing with my wife's Spyder F3 and my Harley Road Glide, and I’ve done a lot of towing with various types of trailers over the years. No disrespect to any other posters, but there’s simply no way I’d tow a trailer and a Spyder with a RAV4 or like vehicle, especially not an enclosed trailer.

I’ll use a RAV4 as an example; other vehicles may differ a little. According to Toyota, a RAV4 has a towing capacity of 1500 pounds and a “payload weight” (their term) of about 1000 pounds. With a flatbed trailer, and most certainly an enclosed trailer, you will exceed those limits. You must understand that manufacturers are quite liberal with their tow ratings, so real world towing experience will be less.

There’s more to consider than the manufacturer's rating. What’s the max tongue weight of your tow vehicle? An enclosed 7x10 foot trailer weighs in the neighborhood of 900-1000 pounds. Add the weight of the Spyder with 1/2 tank of gas and you’re right at 2000 pounds total. You’ve exceeded the tow rating of the RAV4.

What’s the manufacturer's max tongue weight rating? The tongue weight, which should be 10-15 percent of your trailer gross weight, counts against your “payload weight,”so you’ve reduced your payload before you’ve loaded the RAV4 with luggage, passengers, riding gear, etc. You can put that stuff in the trailer (well...maybe not your passengers depending on how much you like them), but nonetheless, it will add to your trailer weight.

Even something like a 7x10 Aluma flatbed weighing about 450 pounds would mean you have a loaded trailer weight of 1550 pounds, so you’re still over the limits of a RAV4.

You may think that an SUV rated at 3500 pounds is more than you need, but I submit that it is not considering the amount of stuff you’ll be carrying for three to four weeks. There’s a difference in towing a trailer two or three times a year to one destination for a week-long trip, and towing three to four weeks at a time. Also rental places like U-Haul will not rent certain trailers unless they are being towed by a properly specified vehicle.

For what you want, you’re most certainly better off with a flatbed. For your purposes, I personally would not tow a Spyder on trips with anything less than a vehicle rated at 3500 pounds. Remember, you must consider the weight of your luggage, passengers, and other stuff, too. What about the weight of stuff you’ll buy on trips? What about driving up mountains?

In my experience you’ll end up carrying more weight than you realize, so you'll want to have a fair amount of buffer. I’ve known a couple yof people, trying to save money, who’ve purchased vehicles at the limit they thought would work, only to realize during their first trip that their vehicle was not up to the task. That's a total bummer.
    Last edited by PeteF; 03-18-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Vehicle, trailer combo.

PeteF,
    Thanks for the thorough response. You covered some very important items that I hadn't thought of. Looks like I will have to rethink my vehicle choice some. I had thought that the Rav4 may be on the low side for making it work. I just didn't want to go to a full size Suburban type SUV. Are there other choices that are bigger than a Rav4 size and a big Suburban size to choose from?

Spyder Garage

Again, look at the Buick Enclave with a trailer package. Rated at 4,500 lbs. and it drives like a (great) car, not a truck. I completely agree with PeteF. Many years ago I bought a little 16 foot toy hauler/camper. Loaded it with air conditioning, generator and necessities for a 2 month tour. Put my Goldwing inside and drove 55 miles up the road and turned around and drove 55 miles home. My 1/2 ton pickup with tow package was not up to the challenge of towing even a modest load even though it was rated for 7,500 (I believe)
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by always young View Post
    PeteF,
    Thanks for the thorough response. You covered some very important items that I hadn't thought of. Looks like I will have to rethink my vehicle choice some. I had thought that the Rav4 may be on the low side for making it work. I just didn't want to go to a full size Suburban type SUV. Are there other choices that are bigger than a Rav4 size and a big Suburban size to choose from?
    Buick Enclave as mentioned. Then there is the Audi Q5 (4400lbs towing cap.), Nissan Pathfinder (6000lbs) The older pre 2012 truck framed ones tow 7000lbs, Toyota 4 Runner (5000lbs), Ford Explorer (2000-5000lbs)
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I tow with a 7.3 diesel Excursion. What load, was there something back there?
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Question Trailer recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by PeteF View Post
    I do a lot of towing with my wife's Spyder F3 and my Harley Road Glide, and I’ve done a lot of towing with various types of trailers over the years. No disrespect to any other posters, but there’s simply no way I’d tow a trailer and a Spyder with a RAV4 or like vehicle, especially not an enclosed trailer.

I’ll use a RAV4 as an example; other vehicles may differ a little. According to Toyota, a RAV4 has a towing capacity of 1500 pounds and a “payload weight” (their term) of about 1000 pounds. With a flatbed trailer, and most certainly an enclosed trailer, you will exceed those limits. You must understand that manufacturers are quite liberal with their tow ratings, so real world towing experience will be less.

There’s more to consider than the manufacturer's rating. What’s the max tongue weight of your tow vehicle? An enclosed 7x10 foot trailer weighs in the neighborhood of 900-1000 pounds. Add the weight of the Spyder with 1/2 tank of gas and you’re right at 2000 pounds total. You’ve exceeded the tow rating of the RAV4.

What’s the manufacturer's max tongue weight rating? The tongue weight, which should be 10-15 percent of your trailer gross weight, counts against your “payload weight,”so you’ve reduced your payload before you’ve loaded the RAV4 with luggage, passengers, riding gear, etc. You can put that stuff in the trailer (well...maybe not your passengers depending on how much you like them), but nonetheless, it will add to your trailer weight.

Even something like a 7x10 Aluma flatbed weighing about 450 pounds would mean you have a loaded trailer weight of 1550 pounds, so you’re still over the limits of a RAV4.

You may think that an SUV rated at 3500 pounds is more than you need, but I submit that it is not considering the amount of stuff you’ll be carrying for three to four weeks. There’s a difference in towing a trailer two or three times a year to one destination for a week-long trip, and towing three to four weeks at a time. Also rental places like U-Haul will not rent certain trailers unless they are being towed by a properly specified vehicle.

For what you want, you’re most certainly better off with a flatbed. For your purposes, I personally would not tow a Spyder on trips with anything less than a vehicle rated at 3500 pounds. Remember, you must consider the weight of your luggage, passengers, and other stuff, too. What about the weight of stuff you’ll buy on trips? What about driving up mountains?

In my experience you’ll end up carrying more weight than you realize, so you'll want to have a fair amount of buffer. I’ve known a couple yof people, trying to save money, who’ve purchased vehicles at the limit they thought would work, only to realize during their first trip that their vehicle was not up to the task. That's a total bummer.

What type trailer do you use?

Spyder Garage

Hi I have a 10 ft inclosed v-nosed trailer and love it .
    It is a little tight driving it in, my F3 only give 1-2 inches of clearance to get it in . Once I got use to it peice of cake now.
    Just keep that in mind , some 12ft trailers are wider.
    2015 F3S , silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First, all Spyder's are the same width at the front wheels, the widest part of the Spyder. If an RT is tight, so will the F3, ST or RS.

Enclosed, or not enclosed. Open trailers are lighter for sure. But then they lack the protection from the elements and prying hands. We regularly pull out of the frozen north land, the land of snow and salt. I would only use an enclosed trailer for plans like yours. The enclosed trailer will catch more wind with aerodynamic drag - harder to pull - vs an open trailer. Find one that has a minimum height, which may mean you will hunch over a bit when loading or walking in the trailer.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is classic spring vs torsion suspension. Springs generally add to the overall height of the trailer and arguably, are a more rough ride. Shock absorbers would be nice but I don't know of any makes of trailers that have them in that size range. My pull behind the motorcycle trailer, a Bushtec, has air suspension and shock absorbers, which made for a more enjoyable pull.

The tow vehicle will likely be powered by an internal combustion engine. The efficiency of the tow (fuel mileage) and wear-and-tear on the vehicle will depend on rolling resistance and the wind resistance of the package. Regardless of the engine, it will take a certain amount of horsepower to move the package down the road, or up the hill AND control it going down the hill on the other side. The engine will convert chemical potential into kinetic energy, and there are differences in the efficiencies of engines in that conversion. Torque is the potential that moves the load. I can have high horsepower from a turbocharger, but suffer on the torque side to get the load moving. I would recommend displacement vs turbocharging to get horsepower.

Good luck with your hunt! My current outfit is a 09 F-150, 5.4 liter motor and 6 speed auto, towing package, a 7 X 16 enclosed aluminum trailer, that we load two bikes (two Spyders or a Spyder and H-D bagger). The trailer weight is 1700#, and each of the bikes is ~850#. With gear that we put into the trailer, another benefit of an enclosed trailer, the total weight is 3600#. Fuel mileage is generally in the 10.5 mpg but can suffer dramatically in a headwind (or benefit a bit by a tailwind).

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap