Spyder Garage

Default 2012 tree starting issue

Hi everyone ,
    i have a 2012 rts se5 I have been riding it for about a year now but now I’m having an issue with it starting . When I go to start it I go through all the procedures that you need to in order to fire it up , so I know it’s not the mode button of I’m forgetting the kill switch or not stepping on brake and I know it doesn’t need to be in neutral . So here’s the deal , when I hit the start button sometimes it fires up right away sometimes it can take forever before I even here the clicking coming from the starter relay . It has progressively got worse . Even when it fires ,I have to push start button and slowly release it to catch it in just the right spot . It seems to get worse when it’s cold outside or has sat for a while . I have taken relay out and changed it but nothing changed . I have disected the start button and cleaned it , nothing changed I have checked all connections and installed new battery . I have tried my other keys and nothing changed . I have taken it to the dealership but they just want throw parts at it and I’m not going to pay them ridiculous amounts of money to make guesses. I have no warranty with the bike I bought it used. Only issue I’ve had with it is this . It will always fire up eventually and never left me stranded but this sucks. Please help if you have had the same problem.
    Last edited by Hoochdog; 03-12-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Have you reported to BRP that you are the owner of the Spyder by VIN? If not, suggest you do so. If you have, suggest you go to the dealer and ask them to open a case for you with BRP. That should, hopefully, prevent the dealership from just throwing parts, and your money, at the problem until they solve it. If the dealership is not willing to have BRP open a case, suggest you send the exact description you have given here directly to brp.care@brp.com, giving them also the dealer's name, and ask them to open a case for you.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Based on all the stuff you have already done--it is sounding like a dealer fix issue. Post #2 has good advice.

And I see this is your first post.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Looks like you have covered a lot in your search. There was a time when there were some starter motor magnets coming loose, and then there is the starter selenoid you could look into...Might give them a look as you seem to be a diy'selfer....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Have you reported to BRP that you are the owner of the Spyder by VIN? If not, suggest you do so. If you have, suggest you go to the dealer and ask them to open a case for you with BRP. That should, hopefully, prevent the dealership from just throwing parts, and your money, at the problem until they solve it. If the dealership is not willing to have BRP open a case, suggest you send the exact description you have given here directly to brp.care@brp.com, giving them also the dealer's name, and ask them to open a case for you.
    They may not like the DIY on switch but you covered the majority of culprits, it should be improving anyway.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Thanks for the advice I was unaware that I could open a case with BRP . I asked the dealer about contacting BRP and they said that without a warranty they wouldn’t do anything . I will definitely take that route next . I have completely stripped this bike down three times looking at everything and I’m not looking forward to a fourth time .

Spyder Garage

Default hey hooch

I am wondering if the brake sensor might not be aligned quite right , might be enough too not throw a brake warning , but it might be just enough to off set the start sequence ? { original battery ? }

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    I am wondering if the brake sensor might not be aligned quite right , might be enough too not throw a brake warning , but it might be just enough to off set the start sequence ? { original battery ? }
    I will give that try . I have considered the brake but never observed any noticble changes in stepping on it while starting . As for the battery , it was a brand new one when I bought the spyder . I have changed out again since this issue started .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochdog View Post
    Hi everyone ,
    i have a 2012 rts se5 I have been riding it for about a year now but now I’m having an issue with it starting . When I go to start it I go through all the procedures that you need to in order to fire it up , so I know it’s not the mode button of I’m forgetting the kill switch or not stepping on brake and I know it doesn’t need to be in neutral . So here’s the deal , when I hit the start button sometimes it fires up right away sometimes it can take forever before I even here the clicking coming from the starter relay . It has progressively got worse . Even when it fires ,I have to push start button and slowly release it to catch it in just the right spot . It seems to get worse when it’s cold outside or has sat for a while . I have taken relay out and changed it but nothing changed . I have dissected the start button and cleaned it , nothing changed I have checked all connections and installed new battery . I have tried my other keys and nothing changed . I have taken it to the dealership but they just want throw parts at it and I’m not going to pay them ridiculous amounts of money to make guesses. I have no warranty with the bike I bought it used. Only issue I’ve had with it is this . It will always fire up eventually and never left me stranded but this sucks. Please help if you have had the same problem.
    Since you already know how to take the starter button apart could you just bypass it temporarily and see if that resolves the problem? You are saying that when you fiddle with the switch just right it will start,that would point me to switch problem. I know you said you cleaned it but maybe it is an intermittent contact problem not a dirt/corrosion problem

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hoochdog, I have had a kill switch go bad on my '13RTL (after towing it uncovered on a trailer in a day long monsoon for 500+ miles at 70 - 80 mph) tried drying it out, blowing it out, electric contact cleaner, ultimately replaced the throttle side switch assembly (console) and it's been perfect since. (I tried messing with the switch for a day before resorting to having the dealer replace the assembly).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Hoochdog, I have had a kill switch go bad on my '13RTL (after towing it uncovered on a trailer in a day long monsoon for 500+ miles at 70 - 80 mph) tried drying it out, blowing it out, electric contact cleaner, ultimately replaced the throttle side switch assembly (console) and it's been perfect since. (I tried messing with the switch for a day before resorting to having the dealer replace the assembly).
    Well I have contacted BRP , but they said I need to take it to a dealership so they could contact technical and parts . Then I tried checking the rake pedal . No change in anything . I will check into the kill switch next and see . I’ve tried the start button but the contacts are completely sealed up . So I’m curious if the same goes for the kill switch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve tried the start button but the contacts are completely sealed up .
    That little detail was missing from your otherwise excellent description of the problem.

What I get from your first post is: Sounds a LOT like a problem with the start button switch itself. Go back and re-read what you wrote in your own post and see if you don't agree.

IF....the start button switch is available as an individual part......as opposed to buying the ENTIRE set of right hand bar controls......I certainly would be putting in a new switch (or trying the idea to bridge a temporary switch in place).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    That little detail was missing from your otherwise excellent description of the problem.

What I get from your first post is: Sounds a LOT like a problem with the start button switch itself. Go back and re-read what you wrote in your own post and see if you don't agree.

IF....the start button switch is available as an individual part......as opposed to buying the ENTIRE set of right hand bar controls......I certainly would be putting in a new switch (or trying the idea to bridge a temporary switch in place).
    I have not thought about bridging across the start button . I am 100% a DIY guy but electrical is where I stumble . I do suspect it’s the start button . In my first post I was trying to explain best to describe as many observations about it hoping someone had similar issue . Right now after bike sits all night it takes about 10-15 minutes before I get that clicking sound coming from the front of the bike . Once I get that clicking sound I lightly push in starter button to get starter to engage . If I push all the way in it doesn’t seem to work . After driving it wether it be one mile or a hundred miles it gives me that clicking sound right away but I still have to feather the start button.

Spyder Garage

Do you have a meter where you can check for continuity or resistance between the contacts of the kill switch?
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

I have not thought about bridging across the start button . I am 100% a DIY guy but electrical is where I stumble . I do suspect it’s the start button . In my first post I was trying to explain best to describe as many observations about it hoping someone had similar issue . Right now after bike sits all night it takes about 10-15 minutes before I get that clicking sound coming from the front of the bike . Once I get that clicking sound I lightly push in starter button to get starter to engage . If I push all the way in it doesn’t seem to work . After driving it wether it be one mile or a hundred miles it gives me that clicking sound right away but I still have to feather the start button.
    Check out post #9.BTW the switch is appears only to be available as part of the entire right switch housing. P#710003921.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 tree starting issue

Hi
    I've just had my switch assebbly apart, under the starter button inside the unit, there is a sft rubber membraine attached to a thin printed circuit, dismantle the unit only need to remove the black screws not the silver ones, gently ease off the rubber top so as not to break the tiny thin circuit board, clean with meths use conductive paint if need be. The part number quoted in a previous reply is the whole unit
    about $400. hope this works for you

DSC00893.jpg I'm pointing to the part with a screwdriver
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree 100% with agedbikeman. I have to do this frequently with tv remotes to get them working again. It should fix your problem. Rubbing alcohol will clean the contacts also. Dont use oily chemicals like Armor All the clean switch housings and your bike. They can make the problem happen again.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Default Do not do this

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    Hi
    I've just had my switch assebbly apart, under the starter button inside the unit, there is a sft rubber membraine attached to a thin printed circuit, dismantle the unit only need to remove the black screws not the silver ones, gently ease off the rubber top so as not to break the tiny thin circuit board, clean with meths use conductive paint if need be. The part number quoted in a previous reply is the whole unit
    about $400. hope this works for you

DSC00893.jpg I'm pointing there areto the part with a screwdriver
    The part you are pointing to has the contacts sealed up inside the rubber membrane . Lifting only leaves figuring out how to reattach it . There are no exposed contacts underneath it . I suggest to everyone do not lift it up . You will regret it .

Spyder Garage

Could it be a sticking relay?
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles