Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I don't remember what the outcome was but you can still see cars doing it.
    They all "crab" down the straights; have for a while now.
    It's a matter of "how much is too much".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Are you taking it to Mike Loesch? In Edgewater?
    No. Barney's in Brooksville.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    Laser alignment solved all my problems and I have a lot of problems.
    My thought exactly. After the laser alignment I couldn't believe it was my Spyder!! Best "upgrade" I ever did.....
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Spyder Garage

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just because a couple of you think this is not an important subject.......or has an easy and obvious solution.......or can't bear newbies trying to get a handle on the "problem".......

Get over yourself.
    If the subject upsets you, don't read the thread.
    Simple.

Taking mine in today for 3K service and laser alignment.
    We will see.

Spyder Garage

Default It took me a 1,000 miles

I'd been eyeballing Spyders for a few years so last June I rode a new one for MAYBE 30 minutes at my local dealership. Wasn't sure I liked it and felt very, very nervous - also, letting go of the handlebars showed me how truly horrible the alignment was.

A couple of months later while on a vacation riding my Yamaha VStar 1100 a long way from home, I saw a Spyder I liked with the right price and traded in the old bike. Even with my questionable experience with my test ride I figured I'm as capable as the next guy and can manage getting three wheels down the road. My new Spyder didn't have the same alignment issues as the one I'd test ridden, thankfully.

The next day I rode it home on the interstate - 850 miles.

Add on a couple of thousand miles later and I now I'm riding it like I stole it.
    Last edited by imfleck; 03-27-2018 at 12:58 PM.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Taking mine in today for 3K service and laser alignment.
    We will see.
    Hope this does it for you. But, some dealerships will SAY they have laser alignment because they know that is what customers want. So be careful there. Then, some have the laser alignment equipment but it isn't magic. It takes a skilled technician that is willing to spend adequate time to do it right. That is harder to know.

You might also want to check belt tension when they are done. 'Trust but verify' can be a good way to look at it.

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on your decision. I think you're going in the right direction. Just giving you information that others have learned the hard way.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-27-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    But, some dealerships will SAY they have laser alignment because they know that is what customers want.
    Thanks for all the advice.
    Pretty sure that they HAVE the proper equipment since they are listed on the dealer list of the guy who makes it.

Now.....whether or not they really know how to use it...............

The service manager did say that they would test ride it to see if they could spot anything else that might be causing the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is beginning to look VERY much like there is no "fix" for the complaint that I have.
    Unless maybe tires with a different tread pattern would help.

My service guy, who seems to have a lot of Spyder experience, said he did an extensive test ride and everything appears "normal" to him.
    Said he certainly could do a laser alignment if I insisted.....and charge me for it.......but seriously doubted that it would make any difference.

He did reset the "steering angle" and "torque angle" sensors.....and took out the extra 5 LBS of air in the tires.......and on the ~50 mile ride home I couldn't tell much difference.

At this point, I'm gonna put the extra air back in the tires and just learn to live with it.

I did note that getting the back tire on a crack or joint in the pavement can make it act REALLY squirrley and I suspect that smaller versions of that is the feeling that I don't like.

It is getting better the more miles I log.

Thanks to all for the help.

Spyder Garage

sounds like way too much air in the tires to me
    "learn to live with it" as has been suggested many times is a great idea.
    In 1500 miles or so, you'll be over your fear and enjoying your Spyder.
    Last resort, list it in the for sale section
    you may actually be happier in the long run if you did that

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Like I have said on this before. The roads all over this country are aweful. Heat & cold and all the traffic causes ruts in pavement. If you can go out early in the morning and take rides on different roads and see how it handle on each road. Then go out and ride in the afternoon on the same roads and see if there is a difference. Then ride the opposite direction.We have a 2011 RT and it does great. Some days it rides different on the same roads we travel all the time. Whether its hot or cool at the time we ride. Just try it. You might see the signs that it not the bike Its the highways you ride on. Or it could be that you've gotten so dishearted with the machine that nothing is going to make it happy for you. Not trying to being rude. Just trying to help. Do something like this before you go out and spend a bunch of money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    sounds like way too much air in the tires to me
    How much is "way too much" ??......and why ??

I am at +5 in all 3 tires, which is well within the max safe rated pressures.

That makes the sidewalls a bit stiffer and less likely to "wander" sideways with small inputs.

I LOVE MY SPYDER.......overall.
    I just don't like the FEEL under some conditions.
    I AM going to "get over it"......whether I really do or not.
    That does not deter me from trying to minimize the problem though.

P.S. I'm well over 1,500 miles already......and it hasn't "scared" me since I got past the first hundred or so.

Spyder Garage

That makes the sidewalls a bit stiffer and less likely to "wander" sideways with small inputs.

I LOVE MY SPYDER.......overall.
    I just don't like the FEEL under some conditions.
    I AM going to "get over it"......whether I really do or not.
    That does not deter me from trying to minimize the problem though.

P.S. I'm well over 1,500 miles already......and it hasn't "scared" me since I got past the first hundred or so.
    Good for you. At least you are trying and not just throwing in the towel or the baby with the bath water. No pun intended. It may take more time but you'll get there. Only time will tell. Have a great weekend.

Spyder Garage

So you trust the mechanic who overfilled your oil by a quart enough to tell by just riding your Spyder that it doesn't need an alignment? I don't get what your aversion is to just paying for the laser alignment. Makes me think no one there knows how to run the machine correctly.

Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is beginning to look VERY much like there is no "fix" for the complaint that I have.
    Unless maybe tires with a different tread pattern would help.

My service guy, who seems to have a lot of Spyder experience, said he did an extensive test ride and everything appears "normal" to him.
    Said he certainly could do a laser alignment if I insisted.....and charge me for it.......but seriously doubted that it would make any difference.

He did reset the "steering angle" and "torque angle" sensors.....and took out the extra 5 LBS of air in the tires.......and on the ~50 mile ride home I couldn't tell much difference.

At this point, I'm gonna put the extra air back in the tires and just learn to live with it.

I did note that getting the back tire on a crack or joint in the pavement can make it act REALLY squirrley and I suspect that smaller versions of that is the feeling that I don't like.

It is getting better the more miles I log.

Thanks to all for the help.
    You know without putting the equipment on the spyder it's hard to tell if it's off to someone who doesn't ride a spyder much. I would go to the guy who invented the system.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    So you trust the mechanic who overfilled your oil by a quart enough to tell by just riding your Spyder that it doesn't need an alignment?
    Yes, those things taken together bother me a bit too.

My "aversion" is with spending money on things that are really NOT indicated.
    You guys had me convinced that it would be worth the gamble though.
    I may spring for it yet.

But I'm still playing around with tire pressures.
    My latest test is with fronts are the recommendation (20) and the rear at about +5 (33) and it seems much better.
    But the last experiment seemed better too......until the next day when it felt worse.

Spyder Garage

Going +5 seems counterintuitive to me, especially for a guy who feels the Spyder is unstable. Stiffer sidewalls should cause it to wander more, not less, because they would be so responsive to the slightest steering input. They also would seem to contribute to a jittery feeling on the road. That's what more air does to my car tires and I don't see why it would be different with the Spyder. Deep down, though, I don't think the problem is in the air pressure at all. A few pounds up or down shouldn't make much difference at all.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Going +5 seems counterintuitive to me, especially for a guy who feels the Spyder is unstable. Stiffer sidewalls should cause it to wander more, not less, because they would be so responsive to the slightest steering input. They also would seem to contribute to a jittery feeling on the road. That's what more air does to my car tires and I don't see why it would be different with the Spyder. Deep down, though, I don't think the problem is in the air pressure at all. A few pounds up or down shouldn't make much difference at all.
    The thing is that the more air you put in a tire the more it raises the outside treads up so that all your doing is riding on the middle section of the tire. Which will make the center of the tire wear out quicker. Its just the opposite with less air. The outsides wear and at times will start to cup out on the edges of the tires. Look at the owners manual and see what it says to use for tire pressure. Find the happy medium for the tires. I run 17 in the front and 26 on the rear. Never had it lazered and it rides just great. On our 2011 RT with 47000 on it.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by MR. H1956 View Post
    The thing is that the more air you put in a tire the more it raises the outside treads up so that all your doing is riding on the middle section of the tire. Which will make the center of the tire wear out quicker. Its just the opposite with less air. The outsides wear and at times will start to cup out on the edges of the tires. Look at the owners manual and see what it says to use for tire pressure. Find the happy medium for the tires. I run 17 in the front and 26 on the rear. Never had it lazered and it rides just great. On our 2011 RT with 47000 on it.
    The advice above ONLY applies to KENDA tires ......auto tires are at a minimum 3 times as strong as the Kenda, and are far more tolerant of the PSI you use ( on a Spyder )..... Unless the PSI in an Auto tire is off the charts above or below reasonable pressures ... the Tread will pretty much ride flat ...... But Auto tires on a lightweight ( compared to a car ) Spyder should be at lower than normal PSI in order to give the best the tire can offer .......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Stiffer sidewalls should cause it to wander more, not less,
    I think that depends on the starting point AND whether the problem really is some movement or just a feeling of movement.

When the front went from 20 to 25, I noticed the frame raise up near to an inch. That means that the sidewalls were flexed A LOT.
    And I think the problem is more of the "feeling" that it is wandering than it actually moving around much.

BUT......as I have already posted, a second trial of upping the air in all the tires produced little or no positive results. Sigh.
    So now the fronts are back to ~20 and only the rear is +5 and that seems to be better; but it might all be "placebo" too.

And people continue to recommend alignment......so that probably is in the works fairly soon too.

Personally, I think that single rear tire has too many straight grooves around it. I know that's a really bad thing to do on 2 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Raising a Spyder

I think that depends on the starting point AND whether the problem really is some movement or just a feeling of movement.

When the front went from 20 to 25, I noticed the frame raise up near to an inch. That means that the sidewalls were flexed A LOT.
    And I think the problem is more of the "feeling" that it is wandering than it actually moving around much.

BUT......as I have already posted, a second trial of upping the air in all the tires produced little or no positive results. Sigh.
    So now the fronts are back to ~20 and only the rear is +5 and that seems to be better; but it might all be "placebo" too.

And people continue to recommend alignment......so that probably is in the works fairly soon too.

Personally, I think that single rear tire has too many straight grooves around it. I know that's a really bad thing to do on 2 wheels.
    Even with " Crapenda " tires raised to ...... 50psi ..... it COULDN'T raise the Spyder an inch. Why people make statements that appear to be Facts never cease to amaze me .......Instead of " noticing " or guessing put something that JUST fits under your frame and then start raising the tire pressure to the Max as written on the sidewall ....then try and slide something else between the frame and whatever you have there ........... Please report back the results .....Thank you ...Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-09-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just broke the out of hibernation after long winter of great skiing and driveway snowblowing.

After checking the tire pressure ( 18 F and 20 rear), unhooking the batt. maintainer, it started up with a quick touch of the button. Drove the neighbor hood for a little while and checked the oil-- right where I left it months ago ( of course ). Then a blast up Rt. 431 -- Lots of turns--- up the ski resort. About a 3000 ft climb in 11 miles. The handled perfect in the turns ( nanny only reared her ugly head once) and NO wiggles or vibration on the straights . Thanks Doc and Squared Away.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 04-09-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Tire pressure
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I still think you should go with the tire pressure that the owners manual says to use. And just see what happens. I mean why does today's tires want you to put 44 lbs of air in them when its better to run 36 lbs. But what do I know. I'm pretty much done with this thread. No one listens to suggestions any way. Not to be rude. Or make anyone mad But why try to help. I've given up. There are lots of good people on here that try and want to help. Thanks to you all. I just need to give this one a rest. Have a great week.
    Last edited by MR. H1956; 04-09-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Even with " Crapenda " tires raised to ...... 50psi ..... it COULDN'T raise the Spyder an inch.
    Cut me just a LITTLE slack here, please.

It made a noticeable rise. Exactly how much isn't important to the crux of the discussion.