Spyder Garage

Default Owners of both a two-wheel motorcycle and Spyder

Hello:

Unless you don't own a car, owning a motorcycle is a luxury / toy. But how many have both a two-wheel motorcycle and a Spyder. Not including a vehicle for the spouse. Why do you keep both? Which one came first? Did you buy a two-wheel after you got rid of one when you first got the Spyder? Do you use them equally, differently?

Just a game, it's cold and raining outside and spring won't be here for another 10 days.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I picked up my first spyder in Sept. 2014, after having an accident on my ZZR1200. The wife wanted me to stop riding all together. After a couple of years, I convinced her to let me get another 2 wheeler. I only kept it for about 6 months and then decided that i wanted another spyder and not a 2 wheeler. Well, that only lasted for another 6 months and i then decided to trade both spyders for my f3T. Skip ahead another 6 months, and I decided that I wanted another 2 wheeler. So, now I have a F3T and a M109R.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have a Honda Silverwing 600 as well as the Spyder. The Silverwing was the first bike, I got the Spyder because I wanted something for highway use. I had thought about selling the Swing, but I like riding it as well, especially on shorter trips without much over 50.

IMG_20180326_163546179_HDR.jpg
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Wife and I each had Goldwings. Bought the spyder and sold her wing last year. I now ride the spyder and she rides my old wing. I do get guest rides on the wing with permission occasionally. I like both and have no problem going from one to the other.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

WE have a '14 RTS and I have an old,slow, modded V-Max. Easily switch between them. Must have the V-boost hit once in a while. We tour and vacation on the . Both are "luxury" vehicles. But ----I've had 2 wheels just about all my life and it really is a habit.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 04-11-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default My response........

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Hello:

Unless you don't own a car, owning a motorcycle is a luxury / toy. But how many have both a two-wheel motorcycle and a Spyder. Not including a vehicle for the spouse. Why do you keep both? Which one came first? Did you buy a two-wheel after you got rid of one when you first got the Spyder? Do you use them equally, differently?

Just a game, it's cold and raining outside and spring won't be here for another 10 days.

I have a two wheel motorcycle. I downgraded to a Honda Rebel 250 after a Suzuki S50 Boulevard. I got the Spyder FIRST but decided to get a motorcycle mainly to keep my skills honed that I learned in my MSF Course. Riding a Spyder is different then a two wheeled motorcycle. I use the Spyder when I want to go ryding with my spouse. When I want to just go for a ride and think and enjoy the outdoors by myself I'll take the Rebel. I have even contemplating getting the new Rebel 500 but haven't.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

IMG_0751.jpg 2006 Yamaha Road Star 1700S
    (got new in 07, pre-injury). Currently 47,324m
    2013 spyder STL new in 2014 (post injury) currently 43,455m love them both ride them both, Spyder does get more time, it does have more storage. The spyder came into play afer my injury (TBI in 2012) I lost functional use of my Left side amongst other malfunctions. The added safety was key & found great price. Thanks to good LORD allowed me to recover enough to prove I could still ride & now I enjoy both. & all the good people involved
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Learned to ride a two-wheelie when she had Buckhorns. After putting on the apes, slide a T-bag over the sissy bar, lean back with feet on the highway pegs, and down the road I went. Lazy-Boy. Best touring bike I had...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...8&d=1283207829

Last time I rode her was three years ago in a parking lot. Scraping pegs and having fun! Hubby opens up the engine every two weeks now...

Have two Spyders now. One has cruise control for touring, the other for fun!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

For me, I haven't decided what to do with the Virago just yet. She was my 3rd two-wheeler and first true love (on wheels anyway). Vera has been on the charger since December and I'm conflicted as to what fate she may have.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Our current stable

08 Spyder GS
    09 FZ6R
    11 Triple R
    02 VFR800
    09 KLX250
    05 XT225

Because both I and the missus love to have choices. Sport bikes for going fast in the twisties, Spyder for going two up, and dirt bikes for getting dirty.

#firstworldproblems.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Been riding for 39 years and have owned numerous motorcycles over the years. My current stable contains a 2003 250 Honda Reflex scooter for quick errands, but I have taken a weekend trips on it. A 1981 Suzuki 850 for my solo trips. I enjoy touring on older bikes when traveling solo. A 2015 Spyder RT that we bought new in January of 2017. It is our two up mount and we have close to 20,000 miles on it so far. I bought the Spyder after we took a tumble on our last "two up" bike, a Triumph Trophy SE. My knees aren't what they used to be and the Spyder is more comfy and reassuring on our long trips. The Spyder gets more miles because of our traveling, but on a day to day basis I ride the two wheelers more often. If my wife ever decided to give up riding with me I would probably sell the Spyder and tour on the 850 which I have a fairing and luggage for.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default In Response to Your Question ......

I rode two wheels as a kid. Mostly dirt and trail riding . Developed and carried that passion through adulthood, but married life, kids, bills made owning a bike impossible. Fast forward 30 years. I get the two wheeler of my dreams, a BMW GS. I have a blast with the bike and try to convince my wife to join me. However, she just cannot get comfortable on a motorcycle. So I convince her to try 3 wheels and introduce her to the Spyder. SHE LOVES IT. Promises to ride "her" bike (2014 RTL) while I ride mine. Gets licensed. Then becomes more or less a full time passenger. To spend time together, I ride (drive) the spyder while she is content to be a backseater. So, we don't ride two bikes together, but instead we take "hers" ... all over. Not what I had planned, but works for us.

I still love riding two wheels, but also enjoy riding with her. My two-wheel time is spent by myself or with close riding friends. Getting a Spyder was a great decision for us. She does love being on the back, listening to her favorite tunes, and I love having the 3 wheel experience with her.
    Hers - 2014 Can-Am RTL Platinum Satin and matching RT-622 Trailer
    His - 2014 BMW F800GS - Kalamata Matte

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Hello:

Owned sport bikes, the last being a Honda VFR before slowing down and joining the "Old Fogies Club"(Slow and Loud) by getting a Harley. Got high sided after hitting gravel in the road and the Boss insisted on me giving up bikes as I wasn't getting any younger and healing slower. Talked her into getting a Spyder as it won't fall down like a bike will. Miss leaning into the curves but the Spyder satisfies my "need for speed" moments. Riding as much as I can taking advantage of the great weather here in Hawaii. Only concern I have is the lack of support from BRP should mechanical issues arise as there are no dealers in Hawaii. I can't even get a spare key programmed to start my Spyder. Son has the Harley so I can still satisfy need to drag the pegs leaning into the turns. Life is good!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve got two 2 wheelers and a spyder. I like riding all of them.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have a kawasaki 1000 concours and a 2011 RT. One for goofing off on. The other for weekend trips with the wife and pulling the trailer. Fun fun fun.

Spyder Garage

Before the spyder I had a Honda 750 Nighthawk. Then I bought a 2001 BMW K1200. Next, came a 2003 BMW K1200LT. I always wanted my wife to ride but two wheels was something she would not do. When the Spyder came out, I remember a time when she pointed out the rear seat on a Goldwing. I test rode a spyder RT and took it home and showed her. She said she would ride it so we picked up a 2011 RT LTD. I sold the BMW motorcycles and bought the spyder. Not 6 weeks later I decided I missed two wheels and bought a 2009 Suzuki 650 Vstrom. Come 2015 I traded the spyder for a 1330 RT Ltd. Now come 2018 and I realize how very little I ride two wheels I am going to sell the Vstrom and have only the spyder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Currently two RT Spyders and a Vulcan 900 LT. I am liking the best of "both" worlds.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a Spyder and a Kawasaki 1600 Nomad. Grew up riding 2 wheels.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Default Can Am and Harley Davidson

I got my RTL at the end of 2015. I enjoy riding her, but I’m concerned about reliability with the RTL. It may seem unreasonable, but I haven’t had any major issues. I have an oil leak somewhere because I keep smelling oil burning. Dealer hasn’t found the source yet.
    In May 2017 I bought a 2015 HD Road glide. I bought because I sometimes miss the feel of a two wheeler. This last Sunday NY had a descent day to ride. I rode the two bikes back to back. If I had to choose to only keep one it would be difficult. I think I would choose the Spyder there a many pluses to the RTL. Just a couple of minuses. I think I could live with that. Although I’m glad I don’t have to choose.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder only, don't think I'd feel comfortable on two wheels any more.

Spyder Garage

Well I have Had 3 Spyders 09GS, 12RT, 15F3 and I still ride 2 wheels 6 Days a week (69 Years Old) in my 45 Minute Spinning Classes where we can cover 15-18 Miles IF you sweat enough?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Keep it, when it's gone you will wish you still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    For me, I haven't decided what to do with the Virago just yet. She was my 3rd two-wheeler and first true love (on wheels anyway). Vera has been on the charger since December and I'm conflicted as to what fate she may have.

Spyder Garage

For me I have a 2011 Victory Vision Tour and a 2015 RTS Special Series. Out of all of the 2 wheelers I have had the Victory has been an awesome bike. Handles like a sport bike but at 900lbs it is hard to maneuver around parking lots (miss the reverse on my Goldwing). But after getting the RT I hardly ride it anymore.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited