Spyder Garage

Default A kind of off the wall question

Where is the CG at? Just wondering for proper positioning on a trailer. I would think it would be somewhere behind the front wheels.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

CoG of the Spyder?? Or for the trailer?? Or maybe both combined? (That last one could be interesting to work out..... not necessarily easy, but surely interesting )

On my 2013 RT Ltd while ryding, it seems to be pretty much centreline just behind & below my knees... so I'd guess the easiest way to approximate it for the byke itself would be 'slightly forwards of the front/bottom of the gas tank'; but then the ridden CoG does vary somewhat depending on the way I've loaded the Spyder up; if we're ryding 2-up or solo; & even if I'm just tooling around town, but that shouldn't make a heap of difference to CoG of the machine itself. Altho of course, the actual dimensions & set-up of your trailer might have some significant impact on where you want to position things too.... Help any? Good Luck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

For the Spyder. From what I understand the ideal loading of a trailer has the center of mass of the load over the axle.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    For the Spyder. From what I understand the ideal loading of a trailer has the center of mass of the load over the axle.
    that makes good sense, and if you have a large enough trailer, you can kind of zero in on it. My trailer is only 10ft long, so it sits where it fits.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No, not really. Ideally, you want the load situated so that up to about 60% of the total trailer and load weight is in front of the axle but not more than 10% to 15% of the total trailer and load weight to be on the hitch. If you have a 500# trailer and a 1000# load you want about 900# in front of the axle, and between 150# to 225# on the hitch. You also have to take into account the max load on the hitch specified for your towing vehicle. A pickup will pull better with 200# on the hitch than will a Honda Fit. You're better off to have the load farther forward than ideal than to have it farther back than ideal. If the load on the hitch is too light you risk having the trailer sway back and forth.

Your best bet is to make sure your towing vehicle has the towing capacity for the total trailer + Spyder weight and then position the Spyder to get the 10 to 15% load on the hitch but stay below the max rated hitch load. Knowing the CG of the Spyder can help you, but it's not the determining factor in this case.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You look under the bike and you'll see a flat plate around center of the bike that is close to what you are looking for, if you put a jack there you can almost lift the whole bike off the ground.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, good info. Trailer sway is what I’m trying to avoid. My tow vehicle is a 7.3 Excursion, so weight is not a factor. I think it’s rated for 6 tons.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CG

Thanks guys, good info. Trailer sway is what I’m trying to avoid. My tow vehicle is a 7.3 Excursion, so weight is not a factor. I think it’s rated for 6 tons.
    Wow lot's hypothetical's & possibilities & maybe's ...... An easy way to do this ... after you load everything on the trailer .. Spyder plus ramps etc. Put the tongue on a bathroom scale and based on what it weighs move the Spyder forward or backward until you get the weight on the tongue where it will tow the best based on known tow practice's .. .. Mike