Spyder Garage

Default No Power After Battery Change

Can someone please help a girl out? 2011 Spyder RSS, no electrical power, charged battery, still nothing. Bought a new battery, same problem. Power will come on while it's on the charger, but will not start. The second the charger comes off, the electrical system shuts off. I've checked the battery connections, seems good. I've checked the fuses and they are good. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

New battery has to be bad.... remember.... Positive + ( RED ) and Neg. is black

Quote Originally Posted by StormTrooper RSS View Post
    Can someone please help a girl out? 2011 Spyder RSS, no electrical power, charged battery, still nothing. Bought a new battery, same problem. Power will come on while it's on the charger, but will not start. The second the charger comes off, the electrical system shuts off. I've checked the battery connections, seems good. I've checked the fuses and they are good. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

So let me get this straight Stormtrooper?!

If you turn the Spyder ON while the charger is connected, you get the dash to light up but the starter won't turn?? Do you get any sound or effort on behalf of any of the Spyder's functions or components, or is it just that when you press the starter button NOTHING at all different from before you pressed occurs?

Does the battery test OK when it's disconnected from the Spyder ie, no terminals connected?! What about when it IS connected but without having tried to start or do anything since the last charge? And how have you been checking that the terminals are securely attached?!? Are you sure the wires are attached to the terminal properly; and that the terminals are on the correct battery posts?

Answers to ALL those will help a lot & help identify where the issue is, but it does sound like your problem is either a dead new battery or it's not actually in the battery itself at all, but more likely in the wiring, starter solenoid, or maybe the starter motor itself.... your answers will help narrow it down a little, and I bet there are a few more questions coming too!

Looking forwards to hearing more....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Battery terminals are secure. When connected to the charger, and the key is on, the dash goes through its start up sequence. Hit the m button, kill switch is off, hit start button and it clicks. Once it clicks, it resets, and dash says to hit the m button. Disconnect from charger, and no power whatsoever. Taking battery back tomorrow in hopes that it is a bad battery.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a bad Batt.Good luck
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

double check your connections to the battery

Spyder Garage

Make sure you haven't got a wire in there that's not hooked up. Know on mine there's multiple wires on the posts, one may have got away from you when you installed the new on. Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

hit start button and it clicks.
    Pretty sure it's a bad battery. Mine was the same way when I took delivery, lights all came on but just a clicking noise from the starter.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Default hey stormy !

first off where the heck is wolfthford texas ? any who ! let us know the oout come of the idea " new battery check " ---- when you hit the start button , the affliction sure sounds like the starter might be the problem , { thinking like a car starter , } power too the starter , sudden drain when engaging the starter , you get a " click and nuttin after " ( did you have any problems just before this problem showed up ? as in " the power problem , get a new battery idea " ?

Spyder Garage

Sorry to sound anal.
    You said the kill switch is "off". Do you mean the kill switch is in the "off" position ?
    Or did you mean that the kill switch was off the abnormal position. A double negative means on.
    The kill switch needs to be in the "on" position for the Spyder to run.

Or are we talking semantics ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The second the charger comes off, the electrical system shuts off. I've checked the battery connections, seems good.
    You NEED to spend about $10 on a multi-meter; available at WalMart, auto parts stores and Harbor Freight.

When it comes to power connections, "seems good" is not enough.

In this case, the symptoms you describe would tend to indicate that there is a bad connection right at one of the main battery cables........assuming that the charger is connected to the cable ends at the battery.

Actually cleaning the connectors on the end of the battery cables might fix the current problem.
    But anyone who intends to "do it yourself" really needs a meter.

P.S. Many new batteries come about 90% discharged and MUST be charged up before being used. Leaving the charger connected overnight might solve the problem too.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-11-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

I will assume you did not have the old battery load tested before you replaced it. Most shops will do that for free. So you can not be sure if it was the cause of your problem. Since changing out the battery resulted in the same problem. I will assume the old battery was likely OK. If you take the new battery back for warranty. They will certainly load test it before giving you a new one.

Best guess I would have is that your main ground is loose since it is a 2011 model. That is under the seat and also doubles as the negative jump start or charger connection. Connecting the charger to it will bypass the grounding problem. Check to see if it is tight. Warning only tighten because if you loosen it. It sucks to get a wrench on the bottom side to hold it.
    Last edited by billybovine; 03-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice. Turned out to be a bad battery from the store (2 of them in fact). So 4 total batteries later and we are back in business!

Spyder Garage

Haha Wolfforth is a small town just outside Lubbock TX

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    first off where the heck is wolfthford texas ? any who ! let us know the oout come of the idea " new battery check " ---- when you hit the start button , the affliction sure sounds like the starter might be the problem , { thinking like a car starter , } power too the starter , sudden drain when engaging the starter , you get a " click and nuttin after " ( did you have any problems just before this problem showed up ? as in " the power problem , get a new battery idea " ?

Spyder Garage

Default hahhhaa very good

Haha Wolfforth is a small town just outside Lubbock TX
    wasn`t sure if this was going to be one of those " we are in between fort worth and weatherford " =`s wolfforth ... glad to hear the good news on battery !

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

JUST Curious, What Brand of Battery was this? I may need a battery 'down the road' and didn't want to have the same issues. GLAD, you got the problem FIXED.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue