Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Motobatt bateries vs. Yusa Batteries

Hello:

Curious if anyone out there has experience with the MOTOBATT Batteries for the SPYDERS vs. Yusa or what ever STOCK batteries BRP puts in the original equipment.

I know Lamont likes the MOTOBATT product am thinking even though I leave my battery on a maintainer it is 3 years old now and probably should be proactive and replace it.

Motobatt Batteries have a 1 year replacement warranty but are expensive $149.00

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MotoBatt batteries

From what I've heard here a few years ago , they seem to have a checkered reputation ( they are now more expensive than they were )...... I've heard about a few clunkers ...... imho , there isn't a better product than the Yuasa brand ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

I have seen batteries come and go through the 50 odd years of using, recommending and working with YUASA. They are still the better battery. Mine is currently 6 years old and doing well. but not to say others aren't any good...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

three years, is probably pretty good time to think about replacement. Your RT will tell you when.
    Do your lights get brighter when you rev it. Maybe not turn over quite as snappy as usual, especially when cold. Lots of hints...
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Hello:

Curious if anyone out there has experience with the MOTOBATT Batteries for the SPYDERS vs. Yusa or what ever STOCK batteries BRP puts in the original equipment.

I know Lamont likes the MOTOBATT product am thinking even though I leave my battery on a maintainer it is 3 years old now and probably should be proactive and replace it.

Motobatt Batteries have a 1 year replacement warranty but are expensive $149.00

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

If you've taken care of it somewhat properly it could be good for another 2 to 3 years. I wouldn't replace it until you start seeing problems, like a severe voltage drop while starting. I'd say get a volt meter and watch the voltage. If you open the throttle all the way you can crank the engine without it starting. Watch the volt meter. If it drops quickly down to just above 10.5 while the starter is cranking the bike your battery is probably approaching its end of life. At 10.5 is when the Spyder won't start.

As far as brand, in my estimation the OEM battery is the best overall value for the money there is. It's definitely the one item on the Spyder where the OEM replacement is pretty much the best choice. When you start questioning how good your battery is, look online for the best deal and get the bottle fill version. Hang onto it until needed. Don't put the acid in until you need it. Just make sure to set it up for use per instructions.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    three years, is probably pretty good time to think about replacement. ..
    Unless you suspect that it has been "abused" at some point, you likely will be throwing away half of it's useful life.

Then......if you ride at least once a week for half an hour or more, it really is NOT necessary to keep a tender connected all the time.
    If you do, that will ensure that your Y starts every time in the safety of your own garage.......and will also likely ensure that when it does fail it will happen out on the road somewhere.

Just watch for the "signs" and replace as necessary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If you do, that will ensure that your Y starts every time in the safety of your own garage.......and will also likely ensure that when it does fail it will happen out on the road somewhere.
    I never really thought of it like that, good point!
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I bought a MotoBatt from Lamont about a year ago and it's worked just fine with no issues. The stock battery on my 2014 failed last year, hence the replacement. Lamont does extensive research before he sells a product, and so do I, and the MotoBatt brand has a good reputation which the exception of a few fliers.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

My riding friend had an off brand battery that lasted three years. I have yuasa batterys in my snowmobiles, which take the identical size as the spyder battery, and have been in there eleven years. Do not recommend that to anyone but just stating a fact.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you've taken care of it somewhat properly it could be good for another 2 to 3 years. I wouldn't replace it until you start seeing problems, like a severe voltage drop while starting. I'd say get a volt meter and watch the voltage. If you open the throttle all the way you can crank the engine without it starting. Watch the volt meter. If it drops quickly down to just above 10.5 while the starter is cranking the bike your battery is probably approaching its end of life. At 10.5 is when the Spyder won't start.

As far as brand, in my estimation the OEM battery is the best overall value for the money there is. It's definitely the one item on the Spyder where the OEM replacement is pretty much the best choice. When you start questioning how good your battery is, look online for the best deal and get the bottle fill version. Hang onto it until needed. Don't put the acid in until you need it. Just make sure to set it up for use per instructions.
    OEM for sure. Yuasa has plenty of motorcycle experience. Mac

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

All Very Good Tips.During the Ryde Season I do not use my battery Tender, because as others have stated The Battery will tell when it is tired and ready to be replaced. A slow or no crank at the house is a safer way to tell.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    I never really thought of it like that, good point!
    Experience is the best teacher.
    Often those who know the most are the ones who have made the most mistakes !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm gonna continue to dance with the girl that came with me to the Prom: Yuasa!
    I've never had trouble with any of my Yuasa batteries.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Yuasa in our GS lasted at least 5 years during our ownership.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up OEM

I'll go with a Yuasa battery when I replace the OEM. They are good batteries. I did replace the battery in my V-Max with a LiPo battery that weighed nothing( Max's are not light).It's been working great. AND the batt in my 06 Magnum RT is still the original and working fine in the cold weather here at 6,000 ft in the Sierra Nevada.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY

Is the MotoBatt made In the USA?
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

yuasa has a house brand called Motocross. made in the same factory in Pa.
    beside oem yuasa they are the only ones i ever use. they arent an advertised brand,
    but from my experience ,just as good. just my 2c.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY

I guess nobody knows where the MotoBatt Is made, If they are made In China just say so..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    I guess nobody knows where the MotoBatt Is made, If they are made In China just say so..
    Don't think they are made here. Distributor is in Florida. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The reason nobody knows is because the company doesn't say where they're made. The US contact is listed on their website as being in FL. One person's name is listed for Distributor Sales, Technical Information, and Operations and Product Development. Gotta be a huge company, right? His address is the warehouse location!

Here's their customer service contact list.

customer-service-usa.jpg

The top one is their Main Headquarters. Here's a Google Maps Street View pic of that address. Looks like a real huge manufacturing plant, doesn't it?

Motobatt hq.jpg

Interestingly, the company that Google shows being there is Carolina Energy Distributors. They are a distributor of several battery brands, including Motbatt. Here's a link. http://www.carolinaenergydist.com. They are a battery distributor only, not a manufacturer. They have a USDOT registration as a private carrier hauling batteries.

Here's a couple of pics of their Florida address, 2810 Mercury Rd, Jacksonville. The current Google sat view, dated 2018, shows the warehouse being used by Creative Images Embroidery.

Motobatt FL.jpg Motobatt FL sat view.jpg

Their contact for all countries outside of North America is in Malaysia.

Now, consider this, if Motobatt was truly an American company don't you think they would be plastering that info all over their web site? As it is, everything I find about them is totally hush about where the batteries are made. They may not be made in China, but from all indications they sure as h*** ain't made in the US!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The actual label on the battery says Jacksonville Fla.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default China

The MotoBatt is made in China. BUT, so is 3/4 of the parts on your spyder and Mexico as well. Just shipped to and assembled in Canada. If you want things only made in America, we would not be able to afford them.

Spyder Garage

Default Florida

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The actual label on the battery says Jacksonville Fla.
    It says "distruibuted by a company in florida, but, made in china

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY

Thanks everybody for the Info, I'm probably going to put a battery In my RT-S this summer, so I'll just stick with a Yuasa, I know they are a great battery, I used them over 40 yrs. In all my Gold Wings..

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Ck'd online at local batteries plus and got a Delco for my particular model...paid and picked up at store....made in USA