Thread: Air filter

Spyder Garage

Default Air filter

I have 15000 miles on my 2015 RT Limited at what point do I change my air filter.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Manual says.....

Inspect at 6,000 or one year....inspect and or replace 12,000 or two years...I like the K&N filters. They are washable and go much further between inspections. There are other better replacement filters out there as well. This is data from a 2012 RS but I would think they are similar.... your manual should tell you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

All 1330 RT is around 19000 miles along with brake fluid change.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I don't want to hijack the thread but look at pg 120 of your operator's guide. You will note there also that you should also change the fuel filter at 19,000 miles. If you however check the maintenance schedule for a 2016 RTL on pg 126 of the operator's guide you will see that the fuel filter should be changed at 28,000 miles, not 19. I specifically asked BRPCare about the change and was told to ask my local dealer -- big help! I did ask the dealer explaining that the part numbers for the fuel filters for the 2014 and later RTs are exactly the same. Dealership told me I could extend the interval on my 2014 to 28K. I missed the 19K change and ran the original to 23K with no ill effects.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    ..I like the K&N filters. They are washable and go much further between inspections.
    I don't.
    There is a good reason why they go longer between services: They trap less dirt.
    Guess where that missed dust GOES ??

There is a good reason why the ENTIRE ROAD VEHICLE INDUSTRY stopped using oil bath air filters about 50 years ago: Pleated paper works better.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I don't.
    There is a good reason why they go longer between services: They trap less dirt.

There is a good reason why the ENTIRE ROAD VEHICLE INDUSTRY stopped using oil bath air filters about 50 years ago: Pleated paper works better.
    And yet we have a person who went 123,600 miles on a 2014 RT with a K&N air filter and it was fine.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-11-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    And yet we have a person who went 123,600 miles on a 2014 RT with a K&N air filter and it was fine.
    And yet that is called an "anecdote" and it proves nothing.

Even if it is absolutely true, it is only ONE case and we don't know what his intake or the cylinder wear looks like.

Spyder Garage

Default here is another" anecdote"

And yet that is called an "anecdote" and it proves nothing.

Even if it is absolutely true, it is only ONE case and we don't know what his intake or the cylinder wear looks like.
    I've put K&N filters on everything I owned for a long, long time. Some high mileage vehicles too and no loss of compression ( Yes I checked ). A scientific study----no, but with no compression loss and millions of K&N filters out there I will keep using them.

BTW---- If you know who Malcolm Smith is----- he bought his first shop from the K&N bike shop in so. cal.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have a K&N filter in my 2009 Ford Focus.
    Last week it passed 250,000 miles.
    Of course, this means nothing as there is no dust in the air here in Wisconsin.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Easy Rider;1342706]And yet that is called an "anecdote" and it proves nothing.

Her actually, Spyderann01
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

I don't.

So is this an anecdote too? Since the K&N really isn’t an oil bath air filter unless it has a sump filled with oil.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-11-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't.

I question that. The main reason for any kind of switch of that sort is cost, pure and simple. Originally installing and later changing out a paper filter is a whole lot easier and less messy and overall lower cost than the oil bath air cleaners. A mechanic cousin told me 60 years ago the primary reason the auto industry switched to tubeless tires was that the tubeless one could be easily mounted by a machine on an assembly line and cost less than than tube tires. Back in the mid 50's there was nothing inherently better in the function of a tubeless vs. a tube tire. A factory manager at a Nissan plant in England told me back in 1989 that every request for a part change from a supplier had to start with the words "in order to improve the quality" or "in order to reduce the cost."

Oh, and by the way, if oil bath is no good then why does Honda use an oil soaked foam air filter in its ATVs?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    So is this an anecdote too? Since the K&N really isn’t an oil bath air filter unless it has a sump filled with oil.
    No, tests have been done. By reputable people who are NOT paid by K&N.
    If you search hard enough you should be able to find them.

And.....the purpose of the "sump" was to keep oil on the filter strands which actually trap the dirt particles that they contact.

K&N does not make bad products but they are mostly designed and intended for RACING applications where the main considerations are different.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Oh, and by the way, if oil bath is no good then why does Honda use an oil soaked foam air filter in its ATVs?
    I don't know. Maybe you should ask them ??

A paper filter is a BAD choice if it will be operated in an environment where the paper might get WET.

Spyder Garage

The K&N topic is discussed endlessly on virtually every motorcycle forum in existence with those that hate and those that love them with very little in between. I personally do not favor them, but that's me. I will throw into the discussion something that is often overlooked. With a K&N or oil covered foam filters regular maintenance is a must not because of dirt contamination, but because the oil ages and dries out and thereby loses it's ability to trap particulars.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I don't know. Maybe you should ask them ??

A paper filter is a BAD choice if it will be operated in an environment where the paper might get WET.
    I believe the reason Honda uses an oil soaked foam filter is because ATVs are almost always ridden in very dusty environments!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    The K&N topic is discussed endlessly on virtually every motorcycle forum in existence with those that hate and those that love them with very little in between. I personally do not favor them, but that's me.
    I've always tended to use OEM brand or brands popular with auto service people like what NAPA sells. But I just ordered an air filter from Baja Ron, and he sells the K&N air filter only. I figure it must be quite adequate or he wouldn't sell it.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't. There is a good reason why they go longer between services: They trap less dirt. Guess where that missed dust GOES ??

K&N filters are pleated paper. They are not 'oil bath'. And, they are used a lot in vehicles of all types.

I don't know where you are getting your information, but it's just plain wrong and not helpful.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    K&N filters are pleated paper.
    K&N makes more than one kind of filter.

Actually, the SELL more than one kind; who knows where they actually are made.

The most common type is advertised as a "high flow performance" type which is a mesh that needs to be cleaned and oiled periodically.
    I ASSumed that was the type sold for Spyders......but I don't know for sure.

You can NOT clean and oil a pleated paper filter.

My information might be incomplete......but what you said is just plain wrong.

Spyder Garage

Here's from the K&N home page, cotton gauze, not paper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S