Spyder Garage

Default 2011 spyder rts Radio issue

I have a 2011 RTS and have had my ride in the shop for 3 months and they are having problems finding the solution to fixing my spyder. The problem is that will driving my GPS, Radio, CB and Xm Radio goes off line for bout 2 to 3 seconds at times. It can happen around 2 to 3 miles or not at all during a 50 mile ride. It is hard to find the solution when it does not stay off. The GPS Garmin, 665 states that it has lost power when this happens and starts counting down from 30 to around 28 then comes back on line. It is not in the GPS and the cb and xm have both been replaced. Has any one ever saw or heard of this problem before. Would love to get this fixed. Thanks, Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by recordingguy View Post
    It is not in the GPS
    Based on my experience......and your report.......I think that analysis is ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

The GPS has priority over everything.
    When the audio system sees ANYTHING happen with the GPS, it mutes the rest of the audio until it thinks the GPS is done.
    I'm pretty sure that mine mutes whenever I push a "button" on the screen.

A loss of power at the GPS, internally or externally, certainly would do that, I think.

I bet if you ride without the GPS in place, that problem will NOT occur.

Then you just need to find what is causing the intermittent power problem going to the GPS.
    It might be as simple as cleaning the contact points on the back, cleaning the pins in the mount and checking them for spring tension.
    Lets hope the problem is not inside the GPS. That might be a bit trickier to fix.

Good luck !!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You're probably out of any warranty by now? I know things like that start to get expensive if you're paying out of pocket.

My understanding of what you were describing was a momentary loss of electrical power, not just a loss or muting of audio signal. And that it was confined to the GPS and radios and not impacting any other accessories, the cluster display or instruments. Correct?

The main radio module supplies electrical power to all of the other radios and GPS. And they all operate through that. Everything comes from fuse F6 to the radio module and then is distributed from there. If you have ruled out the power feed from F6, or something else in the fuse block as being a problem, replacing the main radio module would seem to be a logical step. Of course, that would be after unplugging and cleaning the radio module connectors.

I just remembered something from waaaay back. Have them inspect the rear of the fuse block where the harness comes into the back of it. Can't remember if it was on an RT, but there was a report or two on here of wiring pulling out of the back of it, due to excessive strain on the harness. Caused intermittent power issues.

You may also want to try to find this 1 amp fuse and associated fuse holder to see if all is well. I don't know where it is off hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by recordingguy View Post
    I have a 2011 RTS and have had my ride in the shop for 3 months and they are having problems finding the solution to fixing my spyder. The problem is that will driving my GPS, Radio, CB and Xm Radio goes off line for bout 2 to 3 seconds at times. It can happen around 2 to 3 miles or not at all during a 50 mile ride. It is hard to find the solution when it does not stay off. The GPS Garmin, 665 states that it has lost power when this happens and starts counting down from 30 to around 28 then comes back on line. It is not in the GPS and the cb and xm have both been replaced. Has any one ever saw or heard of this problem before. Would love to get this fixed. Thanks, Bob
    I don't have an answer for you, but I experienced something similar and worse on my 2010 RTS back in May 2011 riding back from Spyderfest to California. I had had the bike 16 months and logged 22K miles. First I had intermittent problems with my XM radio, stations would go in and out, the last two days of riding back. I was 1000 miles away from home. Not suppose to happen when you are in the middle of nowhere, then the last 400 miles I was a real biker with no radio, GPS not charging so it went out just around the time I got to our state line, so I new the way back home from Bull head city area. My regular radio also was intermittent until it did not work. Might work for 10-15 minutes and then nothing.

This is the thread I wrote about it happening, gosh almost 7 years ago.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ner-than-later Unfortunately all the photos were in photo bucket which they no longer honor
    They spent 29 hours fixing all the issues, and parts cost more than $3K, of course I had other things happening as well. They replaced the Cluster with a new 2011, cost I believe was $11 or 12 hundred back then. Since then no issues with the cluster, however my microphones in my BRP ST1 helmets, the wiring is shot, so I listen thru the external speakers now. My only saving grace was this was all covered under warranty.With the new instrument dash cluster It came with zero miles again, so when I requested my 25K mileage pin I submitted my new odometer reading + the invoice showing the mileage when I took her into the shop for open heart surgery.

Hopefully what snowball suggests will get you back to the way it should work. And that a new cluster is not the answer. Let us know how it works out for you.