Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Our recent 3-day ryding out of Kanab, UT

My wife and I recently took a few days and went to Kanab, UT. To me this is the ideal jumping off point for interesting rides in this part of the state. Spectacular Hwy12 off US-89 goes past Bryce N.P., past Kodachrome Basin S.P., Escalante into the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. There's also Zion N.P., Coral Pink Sand Dunes S.P., Pipe Springs N.M., Lake Powell NRA, Vermillion Cliffs, the Kaibab Plateau with its entrance to Grand Canyon North Rim (closed in winter), and the historic town of Kanab itself. Oh, and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary just 5 miles north of town.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p?albumid=4705
    Last edited by UtahPete; 03-09-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Great pictures Pete. Do you remember where you were when you took #5? Did you go past Calf Creek Falls on U12 and did you have time to go see them? I love riding that country,been riding it for over 40 years and still haven't seen it all. Thanks for sharing.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Great pictures Pete. Do you remember where you were when you took #5? Did you go past Calf Creek Falls on U12 and did you have time to go see them? I love riding that country,been riding it for over 40 years and still haven't seen it all. Thanks for sharing.
    Paul, #5 was 2.7 miles west of the Kiva Koffeehouse. That's where we stopped and turned around since it was getting late (we got a late start). We wanted to make it to Boulder and get some pictures through the canyon (Calf Creek) and then going up Devil's Backbone (the paved road). Next time for sure.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Awesome pics, Pete! Before we had our Spyder, we spent our 25th anniversary touring the southwest for two weeks. Actually stayed a couple of nights in Kanab, Utah! Drove all thru the area you mention.
    Wow! We're definately hoping to do it again, but this time on the Spyder.
    Thanks for bringing back some good memories!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Paul, #5 was 2.7 miles west of the Kiva Koffeehouse. That's where we stopped and turned around since it was getting late (we got a late start). We wanted to make it to Boulder and get some pictures through the canyon (Calf Creek) and then going up Devil's Backbone (the paved road). Next time for sure.
    Thanks Pete

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Awesome trip and pics Pete. Cool trailer too.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Nice ryde....

Thanks for the tag-a-long... great pictures and sounds like a lot of ryding in any direction....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Awesome trip and pics Pete. Cool trailer too.
    We carry our two 25# terrier mix dogs in there.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love the pics! Best Friends is a great place. I love canyon country. We used to have a summer home near Duck Creek. One of these days I have to ride Hwy12.
    Last edited by asp125; 03-09-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Looks like a kick in the pants time Pete!

Spyder Garage

Default Great photos

Thank you for sharing, Pete.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for bring back the memories. We have been in and through Kanab many times. One of our favorite rides is Kanab north to 12 then east to Torrey and continuing on 24 and 95 to Blanding. Then north on 191 to Moab. And from there off into the wild blue yonder into Colorado. Beautiful riding. Great pics.... Kanab is such a famous area for past movie and TV series background filming. Along with Lone Pine, CA, they were Hollywood outposts......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I were in Utah in early June last year while touring Zion, Bryce and then the North Rim. We stayed in Kanab prior to seeing the North Rim and were really impressed by the friendly, welcoming manner with which we were treated. We must have spent an hour in the Visitor Center speaking with the ladies that were staffing the center. They were quite knowledgeable about the area and gave us an 8.5" x 14" sheet of paper (printed both sides)with all of the movies and TV shows filmed in the area. They also steered us toward a gentleman giving local tours of the area; what was supposed to be a 2 hour tour turned out to be 3 hours! He had a policy of requiring payment at the end of the tour, but only if you were satisfied with the tour! We paid gladly! If you are ever in the area, give Hummer Tours a try - you will not be disappointed! The gentleman's name is Ken Church (a lifelong resident), 1-888-687-3006.
    Last edited by SpyderConvert; 03-10-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Utah is a great state for riding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Utah is a great state for riding.
    Yeah, I think you should come here when you retire!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I think you should come here when you retire!
    I am retired, except for a PT University teaching gig now. Arkansas is on the list in the next year or so. I have family there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am retired, except for a PT University teaching gig now. Arkansas is on the list in the next year or so. I have family there.
    Yeah, I get it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pete,
    What kind of suspension does your dog trailer have, Ours has a torsion Flex but it's really stiff and the trailer bounces quite a bit and jostles the dog around. I thing the company that built it used the same axles he did on his 12 dog trailers . I've lowered the tire pressure to 20 lb. but that hasn't helped much. I've been thing about have a coil over system installed. just wondering how yours does.
    Red Rock 060 - Copy.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Pete,
    What kind of suspension does your dog trailer have, Ours has a torsion Flex but it's really stiff and the trailer bounces quite a bit and jostles the dog around. I thing the company that built it used the same axles he did on his 12 dog trailers . I've lowered the tire pressure to 20 lb. but that hasn't helped much. I've been thing about have a coil over system installed. just wondering how yours does.
    Red Rock 060 - Copy.jpg
    It's a rubberized torsion axle also. The manufacturer says it's rated at 900# (which is too stiff). I've tried lowering tire pressure to get a softer ride, but found that anything low enough to provide that cushioning from the tires causes flats (the tire basically rolls off the rim).

I've considered the Timbren 400# axles and may just do that some day; http://timbren.com/blog/products-page/asr400s02/

Also, lower-rated (weight-wise) tires if I can find them to fit the expensive rims.

Meanwhile, I've added 2" foam to the floor and piled in their favorite dog blankets.

It pains me I spent over $3k on this trailer that is specifically designed for this purpose but really is not that well designed for the light load. I just went to their website and note they have discontinued this product https://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/pettrailer
    Last edited by UtahPete; 04-18-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Thanks for the tag-a-long... great pictures and sounds like a lot of ryding in any direction....
    Dry run for a Ryde-In one weekend...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It's a rubberized torsion axle also. The manufacturer says it's rated at 900# (which is too stiff). I've tried lowering tire pressure to get a softer ride, but found that anything low enough to provide that cushioning from the tires causes flats (the tire basically rolls off the rim).

I've considered the Timbren 400# axles and may just do that some day; http://timbren.com/blog/products-page/asr400s02/

Also, lower-rated (weight-wise) tires if I can find them to fit the expensive rims.

Meanwhile, I've added 2" foam to the floor and piled in their favorite dog blankets.

It pains me I spent over $3k on this trailer that is specifically designed for this purpose but really is not that well designed for the light load. I just went to their website and note they have discontinued this product https://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/pettrailer
    Thanks Pete,
    I also have been looking at the Timbren 400# axles . We bought our trailer from a Spyder lover in Michigan and it was only $1600 it has a memory foam mattress and we really like the way it was built, just want to make a smoother ride for our dog, shes logged over 10,000 miles in it already and she will probably make the trip to Deadwood this summer.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Thanks Pete,
    I also have been looking at the Timbren 400# axles . We bought our trailer from a Spyder lover in Michigan and it was only $1600 it has a memory foam mattress and we really like the way it was built, just want to make a smoother ride for our dog, shes logged over 10,000 miles in it already and she will probably make the trip to Deadwood this summer.
    That's a good buy. Wish I had been patient enough to find a used one.
    2014 RTL Platinum