Spyder Garage

Default Unable to connect Schuberth Bluetooth helmet to 2018 Spyder

I have a Schuberth C3 helmet with the SRC-System bluetooth, and am unable to connect to my 2018 CanAm RTL. The helmet is able to connect to another Schuberth C3 helmet, an iPhone, a Garmin GPS (on another motorcycle), and even a laptop computer. but every time I try to connect to the CanAm, the CanAm Bluetooth function (add helmet) times out. I’ve tried two helmets with the same result, so it’s not a bad helmet. I’ve also tried connecting to the CanAm as both rider and passenger, but neither works.

Has anyone been able to connect a Schuberth C3 SRC-System helmet to a CanAm (specifically, the 2018 model that has built-in Bluetooth)? Given that the Schuberth connects to just about every other device, the CanAm is the prime suspect, but that's going to be a tough road to go down.

- Ken

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bluetooth can be tricky. Not all Bluetooth devices are compatible.

Spyder Garage

I agree, hence my question. Rephrasing a bit, does anyone know if the Schuberth C3 SRC-System Bluetooth is compatible with the 2018 RTL Bluetooth?

You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their back...

- Ken

Spyder Garage

reset your bluetooth device I had a similar problem that fixed it.

Spyder Garage

Default Didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    reset your bluetooth device I had a similar problem that fixed it.
    I tried that, but it still can't connect. Got to be either the older SRC (Cardo) or the Spyder Bluetooth firmware that's the issue. Given the other software problems in the new dash my money is on a firmware issue in the Spyder, but I suspect that it won't be fixed any time soon.

Next time it snows and I'm stuck inside and can't ride I may try WireShark or PacketLogger to see if I can figure out who's at fault (yeah, right!).

- Ken

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the helmet already paired with you phone? If yes then unpair it and try pairing to bike.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Tried that

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Is the helmet already paired with you phone? If yes then unpair it and try pairing to bike.
    Yep - tried that also. I reset the Bluetooth pairing in the helmet to clear all pairings and tried to connect with no luck. Good idea, though, and thanks for suggesting it.

- Ken

Spyder Garage

I looked up your helmet and came across details on Revzilla.
    In the spec it lists nothing about it being "Bluetooth version 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, etc".
    Then the last line:

"Note: The SRC System is only compatible with Schuberth C3 and C3W Helmets."

So it appears they did not implement a full BT standards but instead customized it for their products.

I bet some more google searching would show this is the case with complaints about it not working with other full BT standard devices.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...for-c3-helmets

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Here is one of the negative review... Sounds familiar...

"Sync'd easily to my phone but reset and tried to sync to the Bluetooth on my bike. Haven't been able to get it to sync. Instructions are unsat in my opinion. Regret the purchase. Guy at the dealership offered to help so he's my last hope. Told me he sync'd to a BMW K 1600. Took him forty tries. I would not recommend this product."

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Have you updated to the latest firmware?

https://www.schuberth.com/us/product...downloads.html

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I suggest a call to SCHUBERTH customer service - 949-215-0893. I have found them very helpful and knowledgeable.

Keep us posted.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

finless: Thanks for the info (and I am running v3.08 on the SRC system). Bad news, but it's better than no news at all.

jnt: Thanks - I'll give them a call first thing Monday.

Based on the posts, I'm afraid that the SRC system is only good for rider to rider communication. I'll check with Schuberth and see if the SRC-Pro is any better, but I don't have high hopes since there haven't been rave reviews about that one either.

The C3 is a great helmet, but from what I've heard, external communications such as the Sena aren't a great fit with the helmet due to the design of the helmet itself. Getting a new pair of helmets just to be able to communicate with the bike is a very expensive proposition, so that option is out. Depending on what Schuberth says, I may have to start looking around for communication systems that are compatible with both the Spyder and the C3. And I thought that after buying the Spyder I was done with spending money. I should have known better...

Thanks to all for the responses - a very big help! I'll post more info when I find out.

- Ken

Spyder Garage

Default The response from Schuberth

I got an email from Schuberth support this morning with the details about the inability to connect to the 2018 Spyder:

===
    Since the C3 SRC has only 1 bluetooth channel, you will only be able to pair to your Garmin, with your phone paired to Garmin so that information from your phone will pass through the Garmin to the headset. This is the same case with the 1st Gen SRC Pro.

If you have a 2nd Gen SRC Pro, you will have 2 Bluetooth channels, but if you have the phone and Garmin paired to the SRC separately, both channels will be taken up, so there won’t be any room for the CanAm. To pair all three devices to your 2nd Gen SRC Pro, you’ll need to pair your phone to your Garmin, and your Garmin to the 1st channel on your SRC. Then pair your CanAm to the 2nd Channel on your SRC.
    ===

Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it's a definitive answer. Now I need to start looking for a communication system that will fit on a C3 helmet.

- Ken

Spyder Garage

I hooked up my new SRC system today no issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Which model SRC?

Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    I hooked up my new SRC system today no issues.
    Thanks for the new info. Is yours an SRC or an SRC-Pro (and if SRC-Pro, Gen 1 or Gen 2)? Mine is the original SRC, so if yours is the Pro, that may be the difference.

- Ken

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by macbates View Post
    Thanks for the new info. Is yours an SRC or an SRC-Pro (and if SRC-Pro, Gen 1 or Gen 2)? Mine is the original SRC, so if yours is the Pro, that may be the difference.

- Ken
    SRC gen2

Spyder Garage

Default Shubeth helmet

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I looked up your helmet and came across details on Revzilla.
    In the spec it lists nothing about it being "Bluetooth version 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, etc".
    Then the last line:

"Note: The SRC System is only compatible with Schuberth C3 and C3W Helmets."

So it appears they did not implement a full BT standards but instead customized it for their products.

I bet some more google searching would show this is the case with complaints about it not working with other full BT standard devices.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...for-c3-helmets

Bob
    Try replacing your Spyder with new BMW 1600 bagger nice bike and guaranteed to work with your Schuberth helmet comm system. Had same problem with my 2012 & 2013 BMW KT1600 GTL's my Cardo Scala Rider helmet comm system didn't pair... BMW solution was simple buy a Schuberth helmet with their comm system only $2,500 needed another for the wife thought $5,000 was little much for 2 helmet intercom system so I got rid of the damn BMW...problem solved.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

"And I thought that after buying the Spyder I was done with spending money. I should have known better..."

There is no "one and done" when it comes to Spyders. They will empty your wallet faster than a hooker at a hot sheet motel.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by macbates View Post
    I got an email from Schuberth support this morning with the details about the inability to connect to the 2018 Spyder:

===
    Since the C3 SRC has only 1 bluetooth channel, you will only be able to pair to your Garmin, with your phone paired to Garmin so that information from your phone will pass through the Garmin to the headset. This is the same case with the 1st Gen SRC Pro.

If you have a 2nd Gen SRC Pro, you will have 2 Bluetooth channels, but if you have the phone and Garmin paired to the SRC separately, both channels will be taken up, so there won’t be any room for the CanAm. To pair all three devices to your 2nd Gen SRC Pro, you’ll need to pair your phone to your Garmin, and your Garmin to the 1st channel on your SRC. Then pair your CanAm to the 2nd Channel on your SRC.
    ===
    Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it's a definitive answer. Now I need to start looking for a communication system that will fit on a C3 helmet.

- Ken
    Go for Cardo Scala rider PackTalk DMC rated #1, it's a mature field tested system since 2017 and a universal helmet fit but Schuberth may be a problem because last I knew back couple years their proprietary 2 intercom helmet sizes were fits all and ve said it fits all noggins so they might not be adaptable to any universal intercom system. Anyway stay away from Sena 30K, too many bugs, only 93 page operation manual to set it up... ugggg... hope you have a photographic memory to get access to all features they advertise. If you do go Sena the 20s is way to go at this time.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    Try replacing your Spyder with new BMW 1600 bagger nice bike and guaranteed to work with your Schuberth helmet comm system. Had same problem with my 2012 & 2013 BMW KT1600 GTL's my Cardo Scala Rider helmet comm system didn't pair... BMW solution was simple buy a Schuberth helmet with their comm system only $2,500 needed another for the wife thought $5,000 was little much for 2 helmet intercom system so I got rid of the damn BMW...problem solved.
    I love my FT3 but service and try and find a Spyder shop tech that know anything about spyders within a 500 mile radius sucks.

Spyder Garage

Bluetooth can be picky , & with multiple firmware next to impossible to troubleshoot. best to un pair all & start from scratch. Will suck & hopefully not take too much time, may have to skip some devices. Once you get it going keep a quick setup guide handy on bike so you can add on the fly if out on trip.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have a Schuberth C4 helmet and a 2018 Spyder F3 Limited. I couldn't get the bluetooth connected from my bike/BRP Connect to the helmet until I updated the firmware earlier today on my Schuberth SC1 communications system - up to v2.0 (was v1.0). Now it works perfectly!