Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    For any who don't make it to the Good Stuff threads portion of SpyderLovers, here is a link to my "dissertation" on this topic. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...0&postcount=45

Disclaimer: I do have some expertise in this area but I'm not a Spyder mechanic or a Spyder engineer so don't necessarily take this as the gospel of how Spyder electronics work.
    I read your post and it sounds good to me. But, do you know of anyone that has installed the Duralast and left them in without failing?

In my previous job, before I retired, I standardized and substituted replacement parts including relays and contactors to name a few parts.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-27-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I read your post and it sounds good to me. But, do you know of anyone that has installed the Duralast and left them in without failing?

In my previous job, before I retired, I standardized and substituted replacement parts including relays and contactors to name a few parts.

I don't personally know of anyone who is running with the Duralast relays. I guess my take on this isn't so much the specific brand of replacement relay but the thought that a more common automotive relay of any brand thats rated for 20 amps could be used if there was an issue getting the BRP relay. Many of us know that dealers don't always have sufficient stock of some of the Spyder parts and sometimes the shipping from Canada can take weeks. No sense having your Spyder out of commission for two weeks because the fan relay went bad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I don't personally know of anyone who is running with the Duralast relays. I guess my take on this isn't so much the specific brand of replacement relay but the thought that a more common automotive relay of any brand thats rated for 20 amps could be used if there was an issue getting the BRP relay. Many of us know that dealers don't always have sufficient stock of some of the Spyder parts and sometimes the shipping from Canada can take weeks. No sense having your Spyder out of commission for two weeks because the fan relay went bad.

I only mentioned Duralast because that was the only name that I had heard mentioned. I actually meant any automotive 20 amp relay (with the same contact arrangement, of course).

Spyder Garage

Yep, I think that Duralast is the main brand folks are looking for and talking about as thats the brand and part number that lamonster found for his spare relay and posted the info.

Spyder Garage

I've been running one for quite a while now (4-5 months?)... don't remember which circuit, though.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default replacement relay found

From another Spyder owner:

MasterPro Ignition part BWD REF: R3110 (SMP REF: RY-232) is exactly the same as the relay in our Spyder. This relay can be purchased at Murray’s. We compared the relay in the Spyder with the BWD: R3110. They are identical…including the schematic drawing, as well as the amperage at each terminal/prong.

Rodger at NordRide in Mount Morris, MI says the OEM relay we got at Murray’s is good. He also said that BRP sells this part for about $10.00. Now whether this price is to the dealers or the consumer, I don’t know. With that said, Murray’s sells it for around $9.00.