Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Apart from a Honda Nighthawk we rode (seems like a lifetime ago !) the seat on our RT-L is the best stock seat we've had. We have Alaska Leather sheepskin pads for rider and pillion https://alaskaleather.com/collection...pskin-buttpads

Multiple back to back 500 mile days - no problem. Can't see us getting aftermarket seats on this bike.

To quote Bob Denman though -----" The only ass that you need to listen to; is your own!
    Try taking the Spyder out for a good five or six hour ride... No stopping: just a thorough "butt meets seat" day. If you start feeling uncomfortable: start looking at seating options "
    Last edited by HayRog; 03-09-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Sorry Pegasus1300 but I only started one other thread that I can find and I don’t see a reply from you.

i may have searched incorrectly though.
    My memory must be off. Anyway I rode mine for awhile before I did anything. I determined that while comfortable at first,after a while it became a 2 hour seat. I decided that the budget was not going to allow for a $1000 to $1500 dollar seat. I talked to motorcycledave one of the sponsors here and bought his gel pad kit for my Spyder for $70.00(?) and a power stapler($25) ever been apart an installed that. Dave was very kind to hold my hand(over the phone) while I did the conversion, All went as he said it would,the seat looks great,you can't tell it has ever been apart until you sit on it. It is now an all day seat for day after day. I have been to Sturgis, San Diego MotoComuting, all over UT,ID,MT,Az over 30,000 miles on this conversion and it is well worth the $100 bucks and the Saturday I spent on it. My wife says her seat is fine,not as great as the Goldwing Trike seat but still good,but then she doesn't ride as much as I do either.

See #32
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 03-19-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Paraphrasing what others have said just a little, the only bum that can tell you how a seat will work for you is yours! So for what it's worth, the stock seat works well for me & my Missus on our 2013 RT Ltd.... altho I did change it from a Tan coloured seat to a Black coloured seat that came off a 2014 or 15 RT Ltd, but it's essentially still the same seat!

Anyhow, real reason for my post - just be aware that the little air bag on these things is not really an adjustable SHOCK - it really only varies the static ride height for a given load, altho by doing that it might support the shock & spring just a little more under a heavier load than it does under a light load.... so you aren't really increasing ryde FIRMNESS with more pressure in the air bag, you are really simply increasing the static ride height the auto air system will attempt to maintain via the air bag!! And by lowering the pressure you will simply drop the height the ACS will attempt to maintain.... There's no real connection between the air bag & the shock/spring performance - except that it doesn't take much weight/load on the suspension to bottom out the shock/spring if the air bag height assist isn't there for any reason (failed valve, compressor, or leak in the bag/air lines somewhere!!)

So you might find it of much more help to change out the stock shock/spring assembly for something better &/or adjustable if it's the ride & handling you want to improve. Adding or lowering air pressure in the air bag won't really do that much at all, and really, any changes along those lines that it might make are going to be pretty much purely incidental to its actual function!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some like the stock seat some don't, I was NOT one of those that stayed with the stock seat. The stock seat was ok but was to angled for me.

Spyder Garage

Default After a couple of hours

Doesn't everyone or most need to stop for fuel and stretch a bit? Our first road trip was only about 300 miles to our resort and rode another 300 out there. We stopped for fuel twice on the way out, just to stretch etc. We have a 2013 RTL with the stock seat and seemed to fit me well, the wife loves her part of the seat as well. I use her as a back rest on this trip, but have since purchased a seat with a back rest from a friend here.
    I do like the idea of the gel pad how was it installed etc. Thanks guys

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    Doesn't everyone or most need to stop for fuel and stretch a bit? Our first road trip was only about 300 miles to our resort and rode another 300 out there. We stopped for fuel twice on the way out, just to stretch etc. We have a 2013 RTL with the stock seat and seemed to fit me well, the wife loves her part of the seat as well. I use her as a back rest on this trip, but have since purchased a seat with a back rest from a friend here.
    I do like the idea of the gel pad how was it installed etc. Thanks guys

Dave
    We try to make a stop every 1.5 hours at most. Not a long one, usually to top up gas, and have a stretch.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default You DO NOT have to replace the stock seat

Hi Everyone,
    Well unless you just have the hots to get a new seat for your motorcycle or Spyder,
    there is really no need to buy a new seat if you are trying to get a comfortable seat.
    After being in the custom motorcycle seat business, doing many dealers and private
    owners seats since 1967 I have found, unless you alter the frame on the bike you
    most likely do not need to buy a new seat.
    Your stock pan and the foam padding can be reshaped and customized to fit YOU for far
    less than buying a seat. I see used seats every day for sale here and all over the internet
    when folks remove the stock seat and install a new aftermarket seat
    and unfortunately folks think their seat, even though it is new or like new is worth $200
    or more. They are referred to as take off's, and if it is stock usually worth about $30 to $50.
    Why would you want to take a bath and eat the loss. Some new aftermarket seats can go
    $1000 or more then you have this nice near new seat sitting around in your garage collecting
    dust. Why not just modify the seat you have to fit YOU. I will be happy to guide you along
    with this at NO COST to you give me a call I will be happy to help.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Well unless you just have the hots to get a new seat for your motorcycle or Spyder,
    there is really no need to buy a new seat if you are trying to get a comfortable seat.
    After being in the custom motorcycle seat business, doing many dealers and private
    owners seats since 1967 I have found, unless you alter the frame on the bike you
    most likely do not need to buy a new seat.
    Your stock pan and the foam padding can be reshaped and customized to fit YOU for far
    less than buying a seat. I see used seats every day for sale here and all over the internet
    when folks remove the stock seat and install a new aftermarket seat
    and unfortunately folks think their seat, even though it is new or like new is worth $200
    or more. They are referred to as take off's, and if it is stock usually worth about $30 to $50.
    Why would you want to take a bath and eat the loss. Some new aftermarket seats can go
    $1000 or more then you have this nice near new seat sitting around in your garage collecting
    dust. Why not just modify the seat you have to fit YOU. I will be happy to guide you along
    with this at NO COST to you give me a call I will be happy to help.
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Hey Dave,

Thanks for that info. I don't know if there is a differences between RTL, S and RT seats but for me the problem wasn't the cheeks, not that I was on it long enough to find out, it was mid inner thigh. Not sure if anything can be don about that or not. I'll know more after I get one and get a chance to ride for a bit.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have replaced the OEM seats on all five 's owned. For me--they turn to uncomfortable mush after about 50 miles of riding.

My current RT's both have BRP comfort seats. They set the driver back a couple inches and have more substantial padding. Not bad for around $600. There are many other options out there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default air hawk

my stock seat is fine bought a airhawk cushion and installed a backrest have no issues so far that said everyone is different so trial and error may be be the way

Spyder Garage

Default Bead Rider on Stock seat

I've ridden a little over 20k miles on stock seat with a Classic 14"x14" Bead Rider. Did my first IBA SS1k on July 5th through Iowa with a bead rider and was very comfortable, friend with his budget furry cover took his off as he had that mushy wet but kinda feeling by 500 or so miles. He now rides with a beadrider. We did make them quick release with some S hooks to attach to the seat.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

We just completed a 2100 mile trip from San Antonio, TX, to Tucson and Bisbee, AZ, aboard our pair of RTs and neither of us felt the saddles were fatally uncomfortable. Both or our RTs have driver's backrests and the equivalent of "highway pegs" and that, in our opinion, helps quite a lot. But then your backside may feel differently!

My bride's 2012 RT Limited has the BRP driver's backrest and Seal floorboards while my 2015 RT-S has a Big Bike Parts driver's backrest and Lamonster NBV highway pegs. We traveled at highway speeds and stopped every 120 miles or so (her comfortable fuel range limit) and after a few minutes of standing and stretching we were ready to go again.

It was a great trip by the way with perfect weather and lots of attractions to visit in both Tucson and Bisbee. Neither Spyder skipped a beat and we were able to pack more than enough for two weeks into both machines without the need for a trailer. At our age, we can't imagine better machines for long distance travel. Electronic cruise control, excellent stability in west Texas cross winds, and Sena communicators proved worth their weight in gold. Well, close anyway!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Dave Gel seat installing instructions

Hey Dave,

Thanks for that info. I don't know if there is a differences between RTL, S and RT seats but for me the problem wasn't the cheeks, not that I was on it long enough to find out, it was mid inner thigh. Not sure if anything can be don about that or not. I'll know more after I get one and get a chance to ride for a bit.
    http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom...foam-seat-kit/

Jim

Spyder Garage

Hey Dave,

there is no difference in the seats,they are all the same. I may have missed this from an earlier post but what is happening with the inner thigh? You may just need a sheepskin pad that will cover that area.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I need to go sit on it again as I don’t remember this with the 2008 I rode. I think where the seat and bike met the edge of the seat seemed to dig into my thigh due to the width of the bike if that makes sense.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White