Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Seat Comfy or No?

Hey all, just got back from a local dealer that has some 2016 RT-S's for sale. Its been 3 years since I last sat on a Spyder and today I was wearing jeans but I did not think the seat was all that comfy, actually seemed to press into my mid inner thigh in a way that was noticeable. Wondering what your impression of the seat has been of it is one of the items you replaced. May have also been the jeans seam. Loved the bike though. I think the out the door price was about 25,700 which I think I could still chip away at.

They also have a 2017 RT in white which i sort of prefer just as a base model, so here's the next question. How important is the adjustable shock? I weight about 195 and trying to lose some. Is it a deal breaker between the RT and RT-S?

Thanks for the input.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I honestly don't change my setting much. If I hit a rough patch I might bump it up or down but most times it's in my comfort zone. May also make a change if I'm solo or with a passenger. As far as the seat comfort, I'm fine with that. The backrest is a nice add-on, really no issues.
    Last edited by spyderider1; 03-08-2018 at 06:18 PM.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTL

I CAN REPLY ABOUT THE SEAT. after about 1 1/4 hrs, I get sore and fidgety. for me its not a long distance seat, it looks good, but not feel good. so I got a Russell daylong seat. great! I had them moved me back 1.5", got a back rest too.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The seats always fit my hiney well-enough for 600-plus mile days in the saddle...
    But I also put some sheepskin over the top of them. I got the skins from Misty Mountain.

Everybody's butt has it's own idea about what is comfortable: yours might like something different...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

So much to learn, I never realized I could get “cheek” customized seats that would scoot me up or back. Where does one go to get fitted for all that?

Bob I like the idea of sheepskin as a place to start.

How many miles did you guys put on the bike before you started to decide what you wanted to do with it?
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 03-08-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Check my post in your other thread

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I rode mine for over a year before any changes. After about an hour I was getting VERY uncomfortable, some time really painful in the butt.
    I bought a Misty Mountain Shhepskin and it improved a lot, but not enough
    I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics and picked up a three inch thick section of upholstery foam, carefully cut it for the seat, placed it under the sheepskin and over the seat, now I can Ryde all day long!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default My experience

I thought the factory RT seat was OKAY, but my tailbone would get numb. I changed to an Ultimate seat which is much better. From my experience a Russell Day Long is even better. A backrest is a must for me. As to the RT or RTS, I can't advise you. I went with an RTL and I'm so happy I did. I don't often adjust the rear shock, but so pleased when I do.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Check my post in your other thread
    Sorry Pegasus1300 but I only started one other thread that I can find and I don’t see a reply from you.

i may have searched incorrectly though.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 03-08-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Let me add, although not a selling point for me, the speakers were not good. To say the least.

Spyder Garage

Default RT seat question

One hour was all I could ride without stopping and walking around..... Finally purchased a Ultimate seat, and now I can ride all day without a problem.... Most of my Southern Cruiser friends also have Ultimate seats, because we ride all year around.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    One hour was all I could ride without stopping and walking around..... Finally purchased a Ultimate seat, and now I can ride all day without a problem.... Most of my Southern Cruiser friends also have Ultimate seats, because we ride all year around.....
    Thats good to know. I would try the cheaper options first simply because I’m going to get the hairy eyeball from the wife if the first thing I do after buying a 20k+ machine is tell her it needs a new seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put the BRP comfort seat on my 2014RT, to give me more leg and arm room, although I'm only 5'10" and 190lbs. That made all the difference for me; I can ride for 3 hours at a time if I need to. Any discomfort comes from full bladder, sore shoulders, never from the saddle.

My wife has a standard RT seat on hers and thinks it's very comfortable. We typically ride 250 miles or more per day.

On other 2-wheelers I had to get a Mustang saddle for long distance comfort and would do so again on the RT but don't feel the need for it. This is a very comfortable bike. I think the Triaxial handlebars are more important than the saddle.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Air bag

As for the air bag, I find it very useful. When riding alone I set it on medium, when the wife hops on the back I set it all the way up. I'm going to get killed after that comment.

I find the stock seat to be the most comfortable MC seat I ever had. Will not change it.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Just my two cents here, and on this issue, I don't believe that anyone's opinion other than your own will count. You know what feels right for you.

For me, My wife and I love our spyder, and have not changed the seat. We have put over 22,000 kms it in 1.5 riding seasons. ( 9 months of riding) Last year on the way back from the Norcal rally we went just over 700miles in one day. got back on it the next morning and finished the journey home.

As for the shock, I leave it on the highest setting, and haven't touched since i found that that was the best setting for me.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I am 6'1" with 33" inseam and I use an Airhawk R with the stock seat and we have pulled several back to back 500 mile days with no problems. My wife uses a sheepskin on her part of the seat. We have the base RT and it has an adjustable shock just like the other models. The difference is that it has a valve under the seat to add or remove air instead of the compressor system. Not really a big deal to adjust, just add air carefully with a small compressor. It takes very little air to make a big change.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2014 RT, and I found it to be pretty good, but I still could do no more than about an hour at a time. After that I need a couple of minutes break, and then I would be good again. I am 6'-2" and tried a comfort seat for the extra leg room, but it was harder and I switched back. I got a F3T last year, and it is more comfortable for me.
    As for the difference between the RT and RTS concerning the adjustment on the shock, the RT suited me just fine. I only changed my setting when my wife would ride with me, which was only occasionally.
    Now, about price, you should be able to get a 2016 RTS for a lot less than you stated. If nothing else, check out Imotorsports, they should be able to put you into a RT Limited for around that same price, delivered!
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the feedback and navydad thanks for the explanation of how the manual works, I was wondering about that.

Spyder Garage

Default MC seat

I had a stock seat on my 2013 STS that was uncomfortable after a few hours in the saddle.
    I modified my seat with a MCDave gel pad and can now ride all day.
    Total cost less than $100. Best investment in comfort I have made.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I had a 2014 RT, and I found it to be pretty good, but I still could do no more than about an hour at a time. After that I need a couple of minutes break, and then I would be good again. I am 6'-2" and tried a comfort seat for the extra leg room, but it was harder and I switched back. I got a F3T last year, and it is more comfortable for me.
    As for the difference between the RT and RTS concerning the adjustment on the shock, the RT suited me just fine. I only changed my setting when my wife would ride with me, which was only occasionally.
    Now, about price, you should be able to get a 2016 RTS for a lot less than you stated. If nothing else, check out Imotorsports, they should be able to put you into a RT Limited for around that same price, delivered!
    Yeah it doesn’t take much shopping to beat that price. I may not buy from them but they’ll get the service $$ because they are the closest.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I LOATH the stock seat on my RT Limited for a reason I've not heard anyone else complain about. The back of the seat presses against my lower back with a mild pressure that becomes unbearable after a point. It seems to poke outward.

I replaced it with a Ultimate seat which I love, and I use an AirHawk cushion for long trips.

I might try an RDL if this seat ever wears out.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    Just my two cents here, and on this issue, I don't believe that anyone's opinion other than your own will count. You know what feels right for you.
    Ray
    The only ass that you need to listen to; is your own!
    Try taking the Spyder out for a good five or six hour ride... No stopping: just a thorough "butt meets seat" day. If you start feeling uncomfortable: start looking at seating options
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I LOATH the stock seat on my RT Limited for a reason I've not heard anyone else complain about. The back of the seat presses against my lower back with a mild pressure that becomes unbearable after a point. It seems to poke outward.
    Funny you should mention that. I actually liked the way the back of the seat supported (or as you said, presses against my lower back). It helped me to sit up straight and not slouch like I have a tendency to do.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Seats seem very subjective. Since I have no frame of reference I think an aftermarket seat couldn't be any worse, but I really need to try one before I switch. Like others have said, I can only get 1-2 hours before getting sore and uncomfortable, I hope there's something out there to help. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

I hated the stock seat after a couple hours. Russell is the answer. I'm on my seventh one.