Thread: Helmet question

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet question

I have an 8 year old HJC helmet that is just worn out, but I loved the way it fit. I have a Schoei modular that is just too small for my head.

I've been waiting for 3 years for Sena to finally release the Momentum Inc. helmet with electronics to manage road noise (to save my fading hearing without earplugs), but I've decided they're never going to actually release it EVEN THOUGH IT'S BEEN ON THEIR WEBSITE SAYING "COMING SOON" for years!

So ... who likes what 3/4 helmets and full face helmets? I will be attaching my Sena 20S headset to it. I'm interested in comfort and safety. I'd like flip-down sunshades, and for the 3/4 I also want a windscreen that i can flip up. The lining needs to be removable so I can wash it. I know Bell makes a helmet that has a place to attach a Sena 10 headset, don't know if a any helmets out there will accept a 20S without using the helmet clamp.

Thanks in advance - you guys (and gals) always come through.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear a Klim Modular helmet and I love it. It is super light and fits my head perfectly, it also has a Transition Shield which is the bomb!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Shoei Neotec meets your needs. They even have removable padding so you can wash it or change to thicker/thinner padding for perfect fit. Sena also makes the 10u that integrates well with it if you don't want to use your 20s.
    Bruce A. Brown #164572
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Spyder Garage

According to folks in the industry, helmets need to be replaced at least every 5 years. The padding wears out and is not as effective after that. The advice I was given when making my last helmet purchase was to get one that is just a little snug, in time the padding will conform to your noggin. Each model has just a little different form, some are better at fitting round heads and others are a better fit for more oblong heads. The best bet is to go to a place like Cycle Gear that has a good selection of different models and try them on. Not just once, but leave it on and shop for a while. Don't worry so much about the Bluetooth stuff. Every street helmet I've seen has speaker cutouts already there. Personally, I prefer a modular helmet. You still get full face protection but can easily flip up the face if you want to take a sip of water while riding. Most will also have a secondary tinted sunshade you can operate with a gloved hand.

I use a Sedici Sistema modular helmet with the Sena 20s. It took a little bit of work to install it but works with the helmet just fine.
    Last edited by Aesculapius; 03-06-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

My Schuberth C3 Pro is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. I also use the Sena 20s.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

If your current HJC and Shoei fit your head shape, in the 3/4 models the Shoei J-Cruize and Schubeth M1 should be a pretty good fit and they both have a drop down sun visor and shield. Arai CTZ or similar should also fit your head shape, but unless they have recently changed, ARAI do not incorporate a sun visor. The problem is, all these models are at the pricey end of the scale. I have both the Shoei and Schuberth and find their comfort and finish superb for all day riding. I have a “slightly oval” headshape........not sure if that means I have a slightly oval brain or not

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Shoei Gt air is super comfy with a chin curtain to also help with wind noise. If i were to do it over i would check the arai helmets i have heard their comfort is really nice as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    My Schuberth C3 Pro is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. I also use the Sena 20s.
    Ditto! Schuberth rocks the house!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I just got a Nolan N40 Full, it is classified as a modular in that it has a removable chin guard that opens the helmet up to a 3/4. It has a flip down sun visor as well as a peak that can be worn with the face shield in place. It has a real wide field of view. I installed a Sena 10s on it as well which sounds pretty good, even with ear plugs in. The helmet is pretty quiet with the chin bar in place. Cost is about 200, head shape is round which fits me pretty well.

IMG_9430.jpg
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Full face or modular are my only options. Had a crash a few years back that would have ruined my 'good looks' had I not had the protection.

That said, wear what fits YOU. If you have a well-fitting HJC . . . Try others, of course. Ill-fitting doesn't cut it long-term.

We have Schuberths C3 Pro, with their (SENA's) collar insert. Cheap? Nope. Neither is my head. Fit is fabulous (for us, of course)

HTH
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I was quite happy with my Arai full face helmet which I rode proudly with for 5 or so years. But, I secretly lusted for a Schuberth. While perusing the Revzilla site one night, I saw them offering a Schuberth C3 Pro for about half price. My lusting was instantly fulfilled. My C3 and I rode close to 28 K miles last year. As for the communication gear, Schuberth offers a piece of equipment that fits perfectly and has good specs (the helmet has a built in antenna) but as I, 99% of the time, ride alone, have no need of it. I will recommend Schuberth for a quiet ryde and give a shout out to Revzilla for their excellent performance. They have lots of close out sales that are budget friendly.

Spyder Garage

Default question:

is the peak meant to block general sunglare? im very sensitive to glare and sun--does the peak work very well? are peaks only available on certain helmets?

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I just got a Nolan N40 Full, it is classified as a modular in that it has a removable chin guard that opens the helmet up to a 3/4. It has a flip down sun visor as well as a peak that can be worn with the face shield in place. It has a real wide field of view. I installed a Sena 10s on it as well which sounds pretty good, even with ear plugs in. The helmet is pretty quiet with the chin bar in place. Cost is about 200, head shape is round which fits me pretty well.

IMG_9430.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    is the peak meant to block general sunglare? im very sensitive to glare and sun--does the peak work very well? are peaks only available on certain helmets?
    It's to block the glare that you get in the morning or late afternoon riding into the sun. It doesnt come down too low, but low enough to cut it out of your field of vision. It works well enough and you really dont see too many helmets with this feature. HTH
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default I like my HJC as well...

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I have an 8 year old HJC helmet that is just worn out, but I loved the way it fit...
    ... who likes what 3/4 helmets and full face helmets?
    I have a 3-month-old HJC helmet that I love as well. I got the IS-17 full-face model, which has the built-in pull-down sunshade, and I've installed my Sena 20S in it as well.

My only nits to pick with it center on the sunshade -- it could use a darker tint, and would be more helpful if it went down a bit further in front. Otherwise, it's comfortable, is good from a road/wind perspective, and while I haven't had any 100 degree temps yet to confirm it, feels like it moves enough air to keep me cool in the summer.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

First, determine what shape your head is -- round, oval, intermediate oval, or long oval. This is the most critical aspect in a helmet. From there, you can then select something that works. Shoei generally accommodates round through intermediate oval. Arai generally specializes in intermediate and long oval. Revzilla has the ability to search for helmets by head shape --very useful for research.

Arai helmets are pretty quiet, although a Shoei Neotec that I recently tried puts my Arai to shame. Arai also now has some sort of externally-mounted sun visor that flips up when desired. I'm not sure how that works.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Fat Baxter;1341860]First, determine what shape your head is -- round, oval, intermediate oval, or long oval. This is the most critical aspect in a helmet. From there, you can then select something that works. Shoei generally accommodates round through intermediate oval. Arai generally specializes in intermediate and long oval. Revzilla has the ability to search for helmets by head shape --very useful for research.

Arai helmets are pretty quiet, although a Shoei Neotec that I recently tried puts my Arai to shame. Arai also now has some sort of externally-mounted sun visor that flips up when desired. I'm not sure how that works.[/QUOTEAt the risk of looking stupid, how does one determine the shape of his head? Looking in a mirror, my head doesn't "appear" to be round or particularly long, etc.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=stillriding;1341900]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    First, determine what shape your head is -- round, oval, intermediate oval, or long oval. This is the most critical aspect in a helmet. From there, you can then select something that works. Shoei generally accommodates round through intermediate oval. Arai generally specializes in intermediate and long oval. Revzilla has the ability to search for helmets by head shape --very useful for research.

Arai helmets are pretty quiet, although a Shoei Neotec that I recently tried puts my Arai to shame. Arai also now has some sort of externally-mounted sun visor that flips up when desired. I'm not sure how that works.[/QUOTEAt the risk of looking stupid, how does one determine the shape of his head? Looking in a mirror, my head doesn't "appear" to be round or particularly long, etc.
    Not a dumb question at all. Take a looksee here: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...et-fitment-101 and here: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...e-helmet-guide
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=stillriding;1341900]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post

The Arai Pro-Cruise system works really well. The drop down visor is on the outside of the main visor. This allows them to provide the popular option of the drop down without sacrificing safety, or their Snell raiting. You can get an I deal of what it looks like in this photo. IMG_1873.jpg
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default EXPIRE

keep in mind, ALL helmets have an expiration date for which they should not be used again... WHY? i have no idea why, but they do...
    here's what i did with an old helmet that served me well...
    20180308_131604.jpg 20180308_131633.jpg
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Eviltwin;1341902][QUOTE=stillriding;1341900]

Not a dumb question at all. Take a looksee here: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...et-fitment-101 and here: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...e-helmet-guide[/QUOTEThank you very much!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My resolution - I bought a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet. Pricey but fits well, good ratings. Couldn’t find a Schubreth locally and didn’t want to buy a helmet without being able to try it.

Thanks for your help.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    My resolution - I bought a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet. Pricey but fits well, good ratings. Couldn’t find a Schubreth locally and didn’t want to buy a helmet without being able to try it.

Thanks for your help.
    That’s my go to helmet, OverHill. If I had to choose between my Shoei J-Cruise and my Schuberth M1, I’d choose the Shoei.....I reckon it provides better airflow through the front vent, and the lining material is more comfortable than the Schuberth, giving it the advantage on a long trip.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

We both found the Schuberth to be lacking in comfort. Interior felt hard. Wife has an RPHA Max Modular by HJC. She loves it. Very comfortable, plush inside. Fully removable interior for washing. I went with the Kabuto Modular. It fit me better. Plush interior that is removable for washing. The RPHA is a very light helmet. It's difficult to buy mail order unless you try on at a dealer. Shipping back and forth sucks $$.. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL