Spyder Garage

Default RS soft saddlebags that work with passengers

Anyone have recommendations for soft saddlebags for the RS that don't interfere with the passenger's feet on the pegs. I was thinking maybe the Nelson Riggs CL-890 but possibly having to install them backwards.
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Bajaron anti-sway bar and Heim links
    Mirror extensions
    Spyderpops air dam foam kit
    Rivco handlebar risers (purchased and on my mods to do list)

"A damn good feeling to run these roads" - Tyler Childers
    "I close my eyes, it was all so clear, it was all right then, it was all right there" - Tyler Childers
    "Woke up today and decided to kill my ego, it ain't ever done me no good no how" - Sturgill Simpson
    www.squanchkava.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Squanchkava72 View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for soft saddlebags for the RS that don't interfere with the passenger's feet on the pegs. I was thinking maybe the Nelson Riggs CL-890 but possibly having to install them backwards.
    RKA
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    RKA
    Which model do you have on your Spyder? Any pics. Thanks
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Mirror extensions

"I close my eyes, it was all so clear, it was all right then, it was all right there" - Tyler Childers
    "Woke up today and decided to kill my ego, it ain't ever done me no good no how" - Sturgill Simpson
    www.squanchkava.com

Spyder Garage

As I'm guessing you've already worked out that the problem with the RS is that the rear turn-signals are just where most bags want to hang.

I tried several at various shops but couldn't find anything that did the job well. I ended up a set of Givi EA101's these were ok but still a bit of a compromise as they still sat forward and pressed against the pillions calves, thought at least they could use the foot pegs. In the end I removed the turn signals and mounted some led ones further back to make more room. The Velcro straps did mean I could run the straps under the seat, which meant it was secure and more comfortable for the pillion.

The rain covers on the Givi's are not much cop as the internal waterproof rubber coating wears off against the bags after a while.

Spyder Garage

Sorry only pic I've got of the Givi's is with the rain cover on and after I changed the turn signals:
    DSC02593.jpg

Here's where I positioned the turn signals to make more room. You may want to just consider doing something similar and that will give you more choice on the luggage you can get:
    DSC02471.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which model do you have on your Spyder? Any pics. Thanks
    They have pictures on there web page it’s my spyder in the picture
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Those pics of a large RKA tank bags on Spyder might be all I need. I have a rear hard case mounted that is loaded with stuff for my side job and not much room left in that. But in the warm months I will pick up my son from the YMCA summer camp and need to keep his helmet and riding gear in my Frunk. So a larger tank bag would let me relocate the essential in case I break down stuff I have in the frunk. I bought the Nelson Riggs tank bag thinking that was the only one that worked with the RS.
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Mirror extensions

www.squanchkava.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Sorry only pic I've got of the Givi's is with the rain cover on and after I changed the turn signals:
    DSC02593.jpg

Here's where I positioned the turn signals to make more room. You may want to just consider doing something similar and that will give you more choice on the luggage you can get:
    DSC02471.jpg
    What brand and model tank bag do you have? It looks roomy. Did it take much rigging/modding to work on a Spyder.
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Mirror extensions

www.squanchkava.com

Spyder Garage

In that photo it's the Givi EA102B. It could actually expand larger than that so you could fit a lot in, particularly because its a nice square shape. There is an even larger one, the EA103B.

It came with magnets and straps, obviously the magnets are no good but you can put the straps under the top panel and it works well. They use double-d rings (like crash helmets) so you can remove it relatively easily but still may take a couple of minutes to thread the straps under the panel etc. when putting it on. Normally I left it in place. There is a 'universal mount' (T460) you can buy that stays on all the time and has clips to quickly attach/remove the tank bag - not tried in on my Spyder though so can't say how good it is or if it would fit.

Quality was ok but not fantastic, after 3 years of use the stitching on both side pockets gave way underneath.
    Waterproof cover worked well.

The top 'map' pocket did the job and you could fit a full A4 sheet in there. You had to open the main compartment to get to the map pocket rather than it being separate. Getting the paper in there could be tricky as it had flap on the side where you slid the paper in - presumably to stop it falling out if it was smaller than A4. I ended up cutting away this flap, I do checkpoint rallies and use the pocket for details of the next checkpoint so needed to be able to change them fast.

I still use that one occasionally but now have a DriRider Navigator bag that I use most of the time. This is much smaller than the Givi - but has a separate mount that uses suction-cups (so works on our plastic bodywork). The bag itself sticks to this mount with Velcro, though there are a couple of clips if your not feeling that brave - means the bag can be removed in a second. The 'map' pocket is designed to hold a GPS so would allow you to use a car GPS on a bike, though I just use it to hold cards for the checkpoints and my phone. Quality of the DriRider is far better than the Givi.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    In that photo it's the Givi EA102B. It could actually expand larger than that so you could fit a lot in, particularly because its a nice square shape. There is an even larger one, the EA103B.

It came with magnets and straps, obviously the magnets are no good but you can put the straps under the top panel and it works well. They use double-d rings (like crash helmets) so you can remove it relatively easily but still may take a couple of minutes to thread the straps under the panel etc. when putting it on. Normally I left it in place. There is a 'universal mount' (T460) you can buy that stays on all the time and has clips to quickly attach/remove the tank bag - not tried in on my Spyder though so can't say how good it is or if it would fit.

Quality was ok but not fantastic, after 3 years of use the stitching on both side pockets gave way underneath.
    Waterproof cover worked well.

The top 'map' pocket did the job and you could fit a full A4 sheet in there. You had to open the main compartment to get to the map pocket rather than it being separate. Getting the paper in there could be tricky as it had flap on the side where you slid the paper in - presumably to stop it falling out if it was smaller than A4. I ended up cutting away this flap, I do checkpoint rallies and use the pocket for details of the next checkpoint so needed to be able to change them fast.

I still use that one occasionally but now have a DriRider Navigator bag that I use most of the time. This is much smaller than the Givi - but has a separate mount that uses suction-cups (so works on our plastic bodywork). The bag itself sticks to this mount with Velcro, though there are a couple of clips if your not feeling that brave - means the bag can be removed in a second. The 'map' pocket is designed to hold a GPS so would allow you to use a car GPS on a bike, though I just use it to hold cards for the checkpoints and my phone. Quality of the DriRider is far better than the Givi.
    Thanks so much for the detailed post. I will check both of those bags out.
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Mirror extensions

www.squanchkava.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks so much for the detailed post. I will check both of those bags out.
    rka has tank bags also American made and they will make them in colors plus they offer a lifetime guarantee
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    rka has tank bags also American made and they will make them in colors plus they offer a lifetime guarantee
    Thanks, they look really nice on the Spyder pics page on their site. And hold a lot too.
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Mirror extensions

www.squanchkava.com