Thread: VSS FAULT

Spyder Garage

Question VSS FAULT

Riding my 2010 Can Am Spyder RTS today running about 60 and it went into limp home mode and ran good up to 50 and then shut off. Engine light and VSS fault light flashing. Stopped for gas and when I started it back home it ran fine with no lights on which was about 20 miles..

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    Riding my 2010 Can Am Spyder RTS today running about 60 and it went into limp home mode and ran good up to 50 and then shut off. Engine light and VSS fault light flashing. Stopped for gas and when I started it back home it ran fine with no lights on which was about 20 miles..
    Limp mode received out of thin air. The Check Engine light FLASHING along with a VSS light usually an indication that you had your right foot lightly on the brake pedal, that is - dragging the brake. When the brake light switch actuates, the VSS system is expecting to see some value of brake pressure. If it does not, it will trigger a Limp Home Mode. Keep riding paying attention to have your foot completely off the brake pedal and see if it happens again. Also, inspect your brake pedal to ensure it is returning fully after being depressed. Could just need a little cleaning and lube under there or new spring. If it happens again, be sure to pull up the codes while the faults are active before you shutdown the machine. Then we can figure it out further.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-03-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Limp mode received out of thin air. The Check Engine light FLASHING along with a VSS light usually an indication that you had your right foot lightly on the brake pedal, that is - dragging the brake. When the brake light switch actuates, the VSS system is expecting to see some value of brake pressure. If it does not, it will trigger a Limp Home Mode. Keep riding paying attention to have your foot completely off the brake pedal and see if it happens again. Also, inspect your brake pedal to ensure it is returning fully after being depressed. Could just need a little cleaning and lube under there or new spring. If it happens again, be sure to pull up the codes while the faults are active before you shutdown the machine. Then we can figure it out further.
    Thanks - that could have happened. I noticed a light blink when I left a red light and a few miles down the road is when it went into Limp home mode.