Spyder Garage

Default Need help - electrical

Bike is a 2016 F3T. Only mods are Lamonster LED headlights and fog lights, BRP heated grips, and a Garmin Zumo 590 connected to the factory stereo harness.

It is my wife's bike and she has been out on it several times since the mods were done with no issues, so I don't think they are related. I installed everything myself. Everything was plug and play with no actual wiring required.

Last Saturday, she washed her bike. She did some riding on Sunday with no issues. Monday, she went out to ride it and she thought she had maybe left the key on when she got home Sunday and killed the battery. This wasn't the case tho. When I checked the battery it was fine. I went ahead and put the charger on it overnight just to make sure. I know some bikes can be finicky when it comes to the proper voltage. After charging I tried starting it again, but there is no change.

When i I turn the key on, kill switch set to run, the only power I get is to the horn, fender marker lights, tail lights, and brake lights. I have no gauges, no screen, no fuel pump priming, no head lights, no power to the GPS, no stereo, or anything else. Battery connections are good, I haven't been able to find any blown fuses.

Do these bikes use any of those auto reset circuit breakers that could be bad? Is there a relay that would control power to almost everything on the bike? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

***Edit***
    Im not sure if this makes any difference or not, but I just tried the hazards and they work (front and rear) but I have no turn signals.
    Last edited by Poseidon; 03-03-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Start simple check the relays in the fuse boxes ..... find the one that is in the circuit that you know works pull that and then one by one test the others to make sure they work ..... to best of my knowledge all the relays that are the same size will work in any receptacle .......... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Start simple check the relays in the fuse boxes ..... find the one that is in the circuit that you know works pull that and then one by one test the others to make sure they work ..... to best of my knowledge all the relays that are the same size will work in any receptacle .......... good luck ... Mike
    The problem is that none of the items that work have a relay. I don't know for certain that any of them work.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default elec issues

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    The problem is that none of the items that work have a relay. I don't know for certain that any of them work.
    OK. ..........- I would send billy bovine a PM and ask Him ..... He is the smartest person on this Forum currently .....good luck .. mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    OK. ..........- I would send billy bovine a PM and ask Him ..... He is the smartest person on this Forum currently .....good luck .. mike
    Thanks. I sent him a PM with a link to this thread.

If if anyone else has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

I added an edit to the bottom of my first post.
    Last edited by Poseidon; 03-03-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had somewhat of the same issue and it was very hard to see that I blew the 10 amp wake up gauge fuse standing facing the Spyder it’s the right hand fuse box only way I could tell is I started swapping out fuses for new ones
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I had somewhat of the same issue and it was very hard to see that I blew the 10 amp wake up gauge fuse standing facing the Spyder it’s the right hand fuse box only way I could tell is I started swapping out fuses for new ones
    That fuse was my first thought, and first one I pulled out and held up to a light to see if it was blown. I'll try replacing it and see.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Got it figured out. The Left R3 relay (Main Accessory and Engine) was sticking. I left the key on and was tapping on the relays. When I tapped that one, everything powered up. Starts and runs fine now. I'm going to pick up a replacement relay and swap it out so I don't have problems in the future with it.

Spyder Garage

Just saw your PM. Glad to see you figured it out. Took a quick look a the wiring diagram and agree R3 will certainly cause what you described.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Got it figured out. The Left R3 relay (Main Accessory and Engine) was sticking. I left the key on and was tapping on the relays. When I tapped that one, everything powered up. Starts and runs fine now. I'm going to pick up a replacement relay and swap it out so I don't have problems in the future with it.
    and thank you for letting us know how you found the problem.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    and thank you for letting us know how you found the problem.
    I spend a lot of time on forums and do my best to help others when I can. It is always frusterating when the OP doesn't post back after the issue is resolved. Who knows how many others will have the same problem and read thread after thread where others have had the same issue, but the solution was never posted once found. I always try to post follow up after I figure it out so it can hopefully help others in the future.