Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Shock Mod (spring change out)

A few weeks ago I posted about my rear shock not very strong and really didn't see spending $600 , low end aftermarket shock. After talking with one member here I took the plunge and ordered a spring form Jegs. Now this mod I have done is for the Spyders than has the 2 spring set up for the rear shock. Jerry aka Spacetiger, recommended a spring from jegs and this is the one I ordered http://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/0400.2250900/10002/-1 . After removing the shock I used 2 racket straps to remove the top cap that holds the spring on. Be sure to set your shock on the softest setting before taking it apart. Once removed I had to dress up both ends of the spring in order for it to seat in the spacer cap and upper cap. Installed back on the bike and couldn't believe the difference in the ride. Now I can ride 2 up with no problem. I adjusted it 1 position up from the softest setting. With me and the wife we go around 430 lbs and bike handles great and no bottom out. Will probably send my old spring to Jerry to test it just to see what our stock springs are showing. I was a little concerned ordering the 900 lb spring, but Jerry's recommend 900 lbs was spot on. Mod less than $80.00 and works great. If any issues comes up I will post what happens. Don't see that happening. Forgot to mention that it took me 4 straps to put it back together. The new is a lot stiffer.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 03-02-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR SHOCK ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    A few weeks ago I posted about my rear shock not very strong and really didn't see spending $600 , low end aftermarket shock. After talking with one member here I took the plunge and ordered a spring form Jegs. Now this mod I have done is for the Spyders than has the 2 spring set up for the rear shock. Jerry aka Spacetiger, recommended a spring from jegs and this is the one I ordered http://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/0400.2250900/10002/-1 . After removing the shock I used 2 racket straps to remove the top cap that holds the spring on. Be sure to set your shock on the softest setting before taking it apart. Once removed I had to dress up both ends of the spring in order for it to seat in the spacer cap and upper cap. Installed back on the bike and couldn't believe the difference in the ride. Now I can ride 2 up with no problem. I adjusted it 1 position up from the softest setting. With me and the wife we go around 430 lbs and bike handles great and no bottom out. Will probably send my old spring to Jerry to test it just to see what our stock springs are showing. I was a little concerned ordering the 900 lb spring, but Jerry's recommend 900 lbs was spot on. Mod less than $80.00 and works great. If any issues comes up I will post what happens. Don't see that happening. Forgot to mention that it took me 4 straps to put it back together. The new is a lot stiffer.
    David
    ...Good on you ... I love DIYer's .... for those who like to do this ..... check with your local Auto parts stores , they could probably find match for the Eibach or actually get one .... but first ask if they have a LOANER spring compressor ...I bet they do ..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Good on you ... I love DIYer's .... for those who like to do this ..... check with your local Auto parts stores , they could probably find match for the Eibach or actually get one .... but first ask if they have a LOANER spring compressor ...I bet they do ..............Mike
    You might could do it with the auto spring compressor, but would be a tight fit. Not a lot of room for the claws to catch. They make some for motorcycles, but seen a You Tube video using ratchet straps. I rigged mine a little different than the video. I had taken some straps and cut the short ends off and mounted the strap right to the ratchet. I use them a lot changing out motorcycle tires on my manual changer.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Check with Auto Zone..........

They rent tools you and I may only use a couple of times in our life. Ask them, if they have it then put it on your credit card take it home and use it. When you're done with it take it back and they credit it back to your card. Just make sure you inspect the tool completely before you leave the store to make sure the last person to rent it didn't return it damaged, and the clerk missed it and put it back in stock. If that happens you get charged for the damage when you return the tool. That doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

Spyder Garage

Default Shorter spring tested

David sent the spring up; got it in the mail on Sat.

Putting it in the spring tester, and checking it through a little over 1.6" compression I find a linear fits okay and indicates the spring tests out at 447.8 lbs/in.

I suspect the main spring would test out at 900 lbs/in or close to that. By swapping out the short spring to a 900 lb/in spring, David is essentially running a 900 lb/in spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    David sent the spring up; got it in the mail on Sat.

Putting it in the spring tester, and checking it through a little over 1.6" compression I find a linear fits okay and indicates the spring tests out at 447.8 lbs/in.

I suspect the main spring would test out at 900 lbs/in or close to that. By swapping out the short spring to a 900 lb/in spring, David is essentially running a 900 lb/in spring.
    Thanks for testing it. No wonder it would bottom out. By the time you had the weight of the bike on it and me weighing 210 that doesn't leave much room for any rebound. The new 900 lbs spring is working great. They should have done this from the factory.
    David