Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Shock Mod (spring change out)

A few weeks ago I posted about my rear shock not very strong and really didn't see spending $600 , low end aftermarket shock. After talking with one member here I took the plunge and ordered a spring form Jegs. Now this mod I have done is for the Spyders than has the 2 spring set up for the rear shock. Jerry aka Spacetiger, recommended a spring from jegs and this is the one I ordered http://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/0400.2250900/10002/-1 . After removing the shock I used 2 racket straps to remove the top cap that holds the spring on. Be sure to set your shock on the softest setting before taking it apart. Once removed I had to dress up both ends of the spring in order for it to seat in the spacer cap and upper cap. Installed back on the bike and couldn't believe the difference in the ride. Now I can ride 2 up with no problem. I adjusted it 1 position up from the softest setting. With me and the wife we go around 430 lbs and bike handles great and no bottom out. Will probably send my old spring to Jerry to test it just to see what our stock springs are showing. I was a little concerned ordering the 900 lb spring, but Jerry's recommend 900 lbs was spot on. Mod less than $80.00 and works great. If any issues comes up I will post what happens. Don't see that happening. Forgot to mention that it took me 4 straps to put it back together. The new is a lot stiffer.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 03-02-2018 at 08:00 PM.