Spyder Garage

Default Rear Shock Mod (spring change out)

A few weeks ago I posted about my rear shock not very strong and really didn't see spending $600 , low end aftermarket shock. After talking with one member here I took the plunge and ordered a spring form Jegs. Now this mod I have done is for the Spyders than has the 2 spring set up for the rear shock. Jerry aka Spacetiger, recommended a spring from jegs and this is the one I ordered http://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/0400.2250900/10002/-1 . After removing the shock I used 2 racket straps to remove the top cap that holds the spring on. Be sure to set your shock on the softest setting before taking it apart. Once removed I had to dress up both ends of the spring in order for it to seat in the spacer cap and upper cap. Installed back on the bike and couldn't believe the difference in the ride. Now I can ride 2 up with no problem. I adjusted it 1 position up from the softest setting. With me and the wife we go around 430 lbs and bike handles great and no bottom out. Will probably send my old spring to Jerry to test it just to see what our stock springs are showing. I was a little concerned ordering the 900 lb spring, but Jerry's recommend 900 lbs was spot on. Mod less than $80.00 and works great. If any issues comes up I will post what happens. Don't see that happening. Forgot to mention that it took me 4 straps to put it back together. The new is a lot stiffer.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 03-02-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR SHOCK ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    A few weeks ago I posted about my rear shock not very strong and really didn't see spending $600 , low end aftermarket shock. After talking with one member here I took the plunge and ordered a spring form Jegs. Now this mod I have done is for the Spyders than has the 2 spring set up for the rear shock. Jerry aka Spacetiger, recommended a spring from jegs and this is the one I ordered http://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/0400.2250900/10002/-1 . After removing the shock I used 2 racket straps to remove the top cap that holds the spring on. Be sure to set your shock on the softest setting before taking it apart. Once removed I had to dress up both ends of the spring in order for it to seat in the spacer cap and upper cap. Installed back on the bike and couldn't believe the difference in the ride. Now I can ride 2 up with no problem. I adjusted it 1 position up from the softest setting. With me and the wife we go around 430 lbs and bike handles great and no bottom out. Will probably send my old spring to Jerry to test it just to see what our stock springs are showing. I was a little concerned ordering the 900 lb spring, but Jerry's recommend 900 lbs was spot on. Mod less than $80.00 and works great. If any issues comes up I will post what happens. Don't see that happening. Forgot to mention that it took me 4 straps to put it back together. The new is a lot stiffer.
    David
    ...Good on you ... I love DIYer's .... for those who like to do this ..... check with your local Auto parts stores , they could probably find match for the Eibach or actually get one .... but first ask if they have a LOANER spring compressor ...I bet they do ..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Good on you ... I love DIYer's .... for those who like to do this ..... check with your local Auto parts stores , they could probably find match for the Eibach or actually get one .... but first ask if they have a LOANER spring compressor ...I bet they do ..............Mike
    You might could do it with the auto spring compressor, but would be a tight fit. Not a lot of room for the claws to catch. They make some for motorcycles, but seen a You Tube video using ratchet straps. I rigged mine a little different than the video. I had taken some straps and cut the short ends off and mounted the strap right to the ratchet. I use them a lot changing out motorcycle tires on my manual changer.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Check with Auto Zone..........

They rent tools you and I may only use a couple of times in our life. Ask them, if they have it then put it on your credit card take it home and use it. When you're done with it take it back and they credit it back to your card. Just make sure you inspect the tool completely before you leave the store to make sure the last person to rent it didn't return it damaged, and the clerk missed it and put it back in stock. If that happens you get charged for the damage when you return the tool. That doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

Spyder Garage

Default Shorter spring tested

David sent the spring up; got it in the mail on Sat.

Putting it in the spring tester, and checking it through a little over 1.6" compression I find a linear fits okay and indicates the spring tests out at 447.8 lbs/in.

I suspect the main spring would test out at 900 lbs/in or close to that. By swapping out the short spring to a 900 lb/in spring, David is essentially running a 900 lb/in spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    David sent the spring up; got it in the mail on Sat.

Putting it in the spring tester, and checking it through a little over 1.6" compression I find a linear fits okay and indicates the spring tests out at 447.8 lbs/in.

I suspect the main spring would test out at 900 lbs/in or close to that. By swapping out the short spring to a 900 lb/in spring, David is essentially running a 900 lb/in spring.
    Thanks for testing it. No wonder it would bottom out. By the time you had the weight of the bike on it and me weighing 210 that doesn't leave much room for any rebound. The new 900 lbs spring is working great. They should have done this from the factory.
    David

Spyder Garage

I have the single spring in the rear and I replaced it with an 1,100 pound spring. I was trying to find a 1,000 pound but couldn't find one.
    Anyway I feel the 1,100 pound was too stiff. I almost always ride 2 up

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I have the single spring in the rear and I replaced it with an 1,100 pound spring. I was trying to find a 1,000 pound but couldn't find one.
    Anyway I feel the 1,100 pound was too stiff. I almost always ride 2 up
    What length was you looking for? And also ID. My ID was 2.25 as recommended by Jerry. You can go here and select the race spring and type in length id and and what lbs you want. I know the 2.25 worked on mine, but had the dress up both ends to make them fit.
    https://eibach.com/us/c-9-ers.html
    David

Spyder Garage

Warlock, can I ask which Spyder you're riding? Just curious, mine's in storage but I'll be looking at my rear spring / shock / airbag this spring.
    BTW, I wish I was down to 210.....<G>
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Warlock, can I ask which Spyder you're riding? Just curious, mine's in storage but I'll be looking at my rear spring / shock / airbag this spring.
    BTW, I wish I was down to 210.....<G>
    Mine is one of the first ones to come out. It has the 2 springs mounted on the shock. I think Jerry changed out a spring on a RT model. Maybe he will chime in.
    David

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RTS, rode mostly solo weighing in at 195 or so. I swapped to a 800 lb/in rate spring and found I didn't need the airbag anymore. I know another rider went with a 1,150 spring but rode 2 up; he might have swapped to a 1,100 spring. That would be a stiff spring when you rode solo, but probably okay for 2 up riding. I would guess a good compromise for mostly solo riding if you are 210 or less would be 900 lb/in spring. If you are 2 up riding (depending on weight) you might use a 1,000 to 1,100 lb/in spring. You will not the air bag system if you get the spring right. I had too stiff of springs on the front, but never found them objectable (550 lb/in springs). The 2012 was the last year before they changed the upper shock mounting point. Depending on total weight, you probably only need a 225 to 275 lb/in rate spring.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Last Fall I noticed that my rear suspension was 'bottoming out' & decided to fix it.

I bought a new shock absorber; not realizing that there are a fair number of parts that are in the rear suspension assembly.

Here is a photo of the entire rear suspension assy:

Spyder shock.jpg

Note the upper & lower springs on the '08 model Spyders.

Then David Hamilton ( Warlock on here ) PM'd me about his looking for a new upper, rear spring.

So I waited a while to see what he might find.

He found this Eibach spring & really liked the results.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/0400.2250900/10002/-1

So I ordered one. JEGS took rather a while to get it to me, but here it is:

Spyder Shock-2.jpg

I then took the entire rear shock assy out to:

Darryl Reid
    Suspension By DesignLLC
    4009 NE Garden Drive
    Newberg, OR 97132

503-538-1758 / 503-201-5698
    sbdracing@frontier.com

Darryl runs a small motorcycle suspension business & he knows his stuff.

After struggling to get the suspension assy apart, we finally did it. Then it was rather straight-forward to do the re-assy.

One part that gave us a lot of problems was the rubber grommet that goes into the bottom mounting boss of the shock absorber. That little bugger did not want to come out. And when it did, it went shooting across Darryl's shop. Since the shop is not real large, it was easy to find. But, again it was a bugger to re-install into the new shock absorber.

Anyway, after all of the work out at Darryl's, I got the new suspension assy installed; here it is:

Spyder Shock-3.jpg

It is still raining fairly hard here, so I have not had the opportunity to give it a try.

I'll try to re-post on my thoughts after a 'few' miles on the new shock & spring.

As David mentioned, we did have to do some grinding on the OD of the Eibach spring to get it to sit into the Can-Am parts just right. Not much grinding, maybe a few 0.001" or so.

Jerry Baumchen
    Last edited by JerryB; 03-22-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi folks,

Last Fall I noticed that my rear suspension was 'bottoming out' & decided to fix it.

I bought a new shock absorber; not realizing that there are a fair number of parts that are in the rear suspension assembly.

Here is a photo of the entire rear suspension assy:

Spyder shock.jpg

Note the upper & lower springs on the '08 model Spyders.

Then David Hamilton ( Warlock on here ) PM'd me about his looking for a new upper, rear spring.

So I waited a while to see what he might find.

He found this Eibach spring & really liked the results.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/0400.2250900/10002/-1

So I ordered one. JEGS took rather a while to get it to me, but here it is:

Spyder Shock-2.jpg

I then took the entire rear shock assy out to:

Darryl Reid
    Suspension By DesignLLC
    4009 NE Garden Drive
    Newberg, OR 97132

503-538-1758 / 503-201-5698
    sbdracing@frontier.com

Darryl runs a small motorcycle suspension business & he knows his stuff.

After struggling to get the suspension assy apart, we finally did it. Then it was rather straight-forward to do the re-assy.

One part that gave us a lot of problems was the rubber grommet that goes into the bottom mounting boss of the shock absorber. That little bugger did not want to come out. And when it did, it went shooting across Darryl's shop. Since the shop is not real large, it was easy to find. But, again it was a bugger to re-install into the new shock absorber.

Anyway, after all of the work out at Darryl's, I got the new suspension assy installed; here it is:

Spyder Shock-3.jpg

It is still raining fairly hard here, so I have not had the opportunity to give it a try.

I'll try to re-post on my thoughts after a 'few' miles on the new shock & spring.

As David mentioned, we did have to do some grinding on the OD of the Eibach spring to get it to sit into the Can-Am parts just right. Not much grinding, maybe a few 0.001" or so.

Jerry Baumchen
    Just installed another one in my buddies 09 Spyder. He loves it. Took me about 1/2 hr to remove and install the new spring. Had help with it. I used 3 ratchet straps to put it back together. Still would like to give credit where credit is due. Jerry aka (spacetiger) deserves the credit. With all his help and info on the project it really is a real nice up grade.
    David

Spyder Garage

Hi David,

Re: With all his help

For me, this is the greatest thing about this site & the people on here.

Jerry Baumchen

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Re: I'll try to re-post on my thoughts after a 'few' miles on the new shock & spring.

Well, I have just completed two 5-hr rides with this new spring:

Spyder Shock-3.jpg

I have not bottomed out once with this new spring in place. And, you can definitely tell that it is a stiffer spring.

I'm really glad that I made this change.

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi folks,

Re: I'll try to re-post on my thoughts after a 'few' miles on the new shock & spring.

Well, I have just completed two 5-hr rides with this new spring:

Spyder Shock-3.jpg

I have not bottomed out once with this new spring in place. And, you can definitely tell that it is a stiffer spring.

I'm really glad that I made this change.

Jerry Baumchen
    Glad it worked out for you. I think this is a good mod.
    David

Spyder Garage

I am very much wanting to do this mod. Problem is this spring is no longer available. Anyone got a Part# of similar that would do the same?
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUSASwede View Post
    I am very much wanting to do this mod. Problem is this spring is no longer available. Anyone got a Part# of similar that would do the same?
    PM spacetiger, he's still around!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

PM sent a week ago. SpaceTiger not answering
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUSASwede View Post
    PM sent a week ago. SpaceTiger not answering
    You are aware this is an old thread, aren't you?? The last time it saw a post before your request for the part number earlier this month was waaayyy back in September 2018; while spacetiger's most recent post in it was about 6 months earlier than that, in March that year - meaning this discussion all happened a fair while ago now!!

However, the last time spacetiger visited the Forum was in late January this year, so it seems he still looks in every now & then..... which means that even if he's not all that likely to check in on THIS thread, he juuust might still see your PM eventually - but only if he does look in on us again!

All you can do is wait - and you probably shouldn't hold your breath. .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-29-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!