Spyder Garage

Default F3-T with an antenna with an MBL Innovations Luggage Rack

Has anybody installed a MBL Innovations luggage rack on a 2016 F3-T with an antenna?

I 100% give up on trying to figure out what to do with the antenna with an MBL Innovations luggage rack. Right now I have the antenna sticking up through the luggage rack, which makes the luggage rack fairly useless. I gave up on trying to remove the antenna and installing the relocation hardware. I tried LaMonster's directions for removing the antenna with no luck. I am a bit hesitant to try twisting it off with pliers. The relocation hardware does not look long enough to me to do any good. I tried to pawn the work off twice on the dealer's mechanic with no luck.

If anybody has done this will you post pictures of what you did? Also any suggestions for removing the antenna?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Contact MBL

I would contact MBL. They sell the rack and highlight the antenna relocation - they should help.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Antenna

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I had the same reservation cutting the base of the antenna as Lamonster did but it worked.. then an 8 mm socket for removal. I have a Baker Built rear rack on my FT3 and this replacement antenna works great with no clearance issues😎

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruisr View Post
    I had the same reservation cutting the base of the antenna as Lamonster did but it worked.. then an 8 mm socket for removal. I have a Baker Built rear rack on my FT3 and this replacement antenna works great with no clearance issues😎
    My understanding is that cutting it only works with the antenna without a spring. Is that true?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    I would contact MBL. They sell the rack and highlight the antenna relocation - they should help.
    Done. I'll post what they say.

Thanks for the push. The last time I tried to contact the website I got an error message, which made me think he quit. I just got a message through to him.

Spyder Garage

Is it as good as stock? Every other antenna I have seen less than six inches warn about a decrease in reception.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    Is it as good as stock? Every other antenna I have seen less than six inches warn about a decrease in reception.
    I found no difference in reception.. distant and local stations were the same.... it has a copper core wire vs steel which improves reception...😳

Spyder Garage

I used a utility knife (carefully) to slit the rubber base at the base of the antenna then used a wire cutter pliers the antenna off( it was a spring base).. then a 8mm socket for removal...BRP really likes to use blue Locktite👎

Spyder Garage

I used a utility knife (carefully) to slit the rubber base at the base of the antenna then used a wire cutter pliers the antenna off( it was a spring base).. then a 8mm socket for removal...BRP really likes to use blue Locktite👎
    Their Locktite is why I am paranoid to work on the Spyder. I stripped one bolt that no way should it have stripped.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    Their Locktite is why I am paranoid to work on the Spyder. I stripped one bolt that no way should it have stripped.
    Just make sure your 8mm is 6 point deep socket

Spyder Garage

I responded to your email this a.m. asking you to call me to discuss. If you remove the left saddlebag to expose the antenna mount and remove it from the bike you will be able to free the antenna from the mount. Again, please call should you need additional assistance.

Maurice
    SpYderman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    I responded to your email this a.m. asking you to call me to discuss. If you remove the left saddlebag to expose the antenna mount and remove it from the bike you will be able to free the antenna from the mount. Again, please call should you need additional assistance.

Maurice
    Will do. I plan on working on it later today and I am sure I will get stuck. btw - Great looking luggage rack
    Last edited by gnorthern; 03-04-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default antenna relocation

Have MLB rack on a 16 f3ltd. Their relocation bar places the antenna in front of the rack between the rack and the rear end of the grab rail. I have a givi topcase mounted in rack and have plenty of clearance.