Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default How To Properly and Stylishly Mount Mutazu Bags To An F3 or F3S - with pics

Mutazu bags, at $299 shipped, represent the best value for money by far.

In addition to being stylish, they are quite large, and well built. We also (well, Patti my wife) found some very affordable inner liners that are a close fit and will do the job for us.

Their downfall has been their universal mounts - the frames supplied which the bags attach to are very robust and well thought out. The hanging brackets supplied to mount the frames to the bike are strong and pre-bent for an "average" installation, but to do the job properly takes time and thought. Well, it took me 2 1/2 weeks of mornings to nut it out and put it together, and so I share my work with you now. I reckon it would take 5 to 6 hours of not rushing to finish mounting them from scratch, not including electrical wiring.

It also takes a few additional parts, like spacers, T nuts and bolts (about $35 worth), in addition to the pretty good set that comes with the kit, plus an angle grinder with cut-off and finishing disks, a 10-12" adjustable wrench and a can of satin black touch up paint.

To me, mounting bags up high and angling them to match the grab handles is just not on. These are set straight, in line with the frame, not the grab handles, and are angled down ever so slightly. You probably could adjust the angle up or down by about a 1/2", measured at the rear of the bag.

In addition, the bags need additional support to stop them from sagging inwards at the bottom under load, just like any other saddlebags. That is where most of the time and thought went. Some people mount them without that, and it looks wacky and is unsafe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trevor G; 04-16-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Looks great! Nice job and thanks for sharing
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Looking good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Looks great. How about a picture, or two of the mounts without the bags. Even better if you have step by step instructions of how you did this!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Looks good with them lower than where most mount them (including me).
    Have been putting off lowering mine, but now I will after seeing yours.
    I ran a cross piece between the bags at the rear to eliminate sideways movement of the bags. I also did not like the idea of them flopping side to side. Mine are level like yours because they do look odd at the steep angle many have done.
    The actual bags mounts look almost identical to the system Givi uses for some bags (I've had three different sets of that type) and make for easy removal for cleaning..
    My bike with bags on is one of the pics in the Ebay listing for the Matazu bags. Sent them a pic after install and they decided to use it. If it helps someone decide to buy them, I'm all for it.

So how about pics without the bags so we can see how you handled the brackets?
    And tell us what the angle grinder and cutoff and discs were used for.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THOSE BAGS

Thanks for sharing ... I also have a set to be mounted on an RSS ..... I have already painted the side covers ( the ones that un-screw from the inside so it's very easy to paint ) .... I painted mine " Cognac " with no clear top coat, I wanted them to match the Flat RSS orange .....it does very nicely ............... another member here " Warlock " discovered the plastic brackets that hold the bags onto the frame aren't very sturdy and He fixed them ( PM Him I can't remember exactly how He did His ) .... because of His Experience I plan to weld a nut to the Bracket that attaches the bags to the Mutaza Frame ..... then I will put a bolt through from inside the bags and screw it into the welded nut .... the only it can possibly come off accidently is the entire attachment Bracket will have to come loose ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Mutazu bags, at $299 shipped, represent the best value for money by far.

In addition to being stylish, they are quite large, and well built. We also (well, Patti my wife) found some very affordable inner liners that are a close fit and will do the job for us.

Their downfall has been their universal mounts - the frames supplied which the bags attach to are very robust and well thought out. The hanging brackets supplied to mount the frames to the bike are strong and pre-bent for an "average" installation, but to do the job properly takes time and thought. Well, it took me 2 1/2 weeks of mornings to nut it out and put it together, and so I share my work with you now. I reckon it would take 5 to 6 hours of not rushing to finish mounting them from scratch, not including electrical wiring.

It also takes a few additional parts, like spacers, T nuts and bolts (about $35 worth), in addition to the pretty good set that comes with the kit, plus an angle grinder with cut-off and finishing disks, a 10-12" adjustable wrench and a can of satin black touch up paint.

To me, mounting bags up high and angling them to match the grab handles is just not on. These are set straight, in line with the frame, not the grab handles, and are angled down ever so slightly. You probably could adjust the angle up or down by about a 1/2", measured at the rear of the bag.

In addition, the bags need additional support to stop them from sagging inwards at the bottom under load, just like any other saddlebags. That is where most of the time and thought went. Some people mount them without that, and it looks wacky and is unsafe.
    Which model bags are those? I looked on their website, but couldn't find them.

Spyder Garage

Fantastic post Trevor! Very detailed and will prove helpful to those attempting the work. I went a different route. I didn't add any bracing across the back but I did put one at the front of each mount. The brackets attach under the seat. There is a small panel that is held in place by one screw. I made a small notch to accommodate the bracket. I had read that some people were having issues with the plastic piece from the bag that grabs the bracket breaking. I added a thin piece of aluminum inside the bag and used wing nuts to attach it to the mount. I have been using (and overloading) coming up on 3 years with no issues. Did over 6k miles last October with the Road Warrior Foundation and these bags were a welcome storage space.

CJ Jax
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Zuni:

I absolutely love the look of your Spyder with the bags on it.
    And the photo from your sailplane?

Spyder Garage

I really wish that I could find a set of these bags for my F3 S.
    Matazu's current website doesn't show this set of bags. Did they stop making them? Anybody have a part number or model name?
    Any help locating some of these bags would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much, JimSTer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimSter View Post
    I really wish that I could find a set of these bags for my F3 S.
    Matazu's current website doesn't show this set of bags. Did they stop making them? Anybody have a part number or model name?
    Any help locating some of these bags would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much, JimSTer
    Replied to your PM JimSter. Mutazu still sells them via ebay, probably could buy from their webiste if you message them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Mutaz...IAAOSwoydWq8jj I bought mine direct from the Manufacturer in China. The bags with LEDs cost me $100 and then $125 for DHL shipping. I ordered them as samples through Alibaba. You could probably try a search on Aliexpress.com

CJ JAX