Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Wrap

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust Wrap

I am planning on wrapping the exhaust pipes on my 2013 RT-L.

I bought some good wrap, 2 inch wide, material and am in the planning stages to do this.

Someone once told me to wet the material before wrapping. Is that correct? If so, are we talking about soaking it or just getting it wet and why do that?

Thanks,
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default As I understand....

You are working in many cases with fiber glass materials. They do shed and slip easily. When wet it hold better as you wrap and will shed less. Some are better than others and the instructions will vary. If it did not come with stainless zip ties it is wise to get some to hold the warp in place. I also got some high temp exhaust paint to spray over the wrap. Did reduce the heat considerably on the RS....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well Joe, depends on which wrap material you bought. According to the FAQs at DEI;

Can I wet the wrap for installation?

Wetting DEI glass fiber exhaust wrap is recommended as it helps the material become more flexible, allowing for a much tighter fit during installation. Be sure to let the wrap dry completely before applying HT Silicone Spray. Wetting DEI Titanium exhaust wrap is not necessary as the material is already extremely pliable.

And sometimes those stainless zip ties become a pain to work with in tight quarters. Some use stainless hose clamps instead. This may be helpful even though it is a car header:

https://youtu.be/WP3o1snEF2Q

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

If the kind of wrap you get needs to be wet. You need to soak it. I didn't like the zip ties. I used narrow stainless hose clamps. Be sure to overlap each wrap by 1/2. This gives you a great look and even insulation.

Highly recommended!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hi Joe,
    I have used DEI Titanium wrap on the exhaust in my 2000 Viper. Its more expensive but you don't need to worry about wetting it. Just put it on.
    It has taken away almost all of the exhaust heat in the cabin, something vipers are notorious for. Also with this wrap on the exhaust manifolds I can touch them , for a bit, without being burnt.
    I'm in the process of putting it on my 2016 RT just because, it works, every little bit helps.
    For what it has done for the Viper, there is no doubt it will work on the Spyder.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Snowbelt Spyder;1340112]Well Joe, depends on which wrap material you bought. According to the FAQs at DEI;

Can I wet the wrap for installation?

Wetting DEI glass fiber exhaust wrap is recommended as it helps the material become more flexible, allowing for a much tighter fit during installation. Be sure to let the wrap dry completely before applying HT Silicone Spray. Wetting DEI Titanium exhaust wrap is not necessary as the material is already extremely pliable.

And sometimes those stainless zip ties become a pain to work with in tight quarters. Some use stainless hose clamps instead. This may be helpful even though it is a car header:

https://youtu.be/WP3o1snEF2Q

Thank you all for these words of wisdom, I did indeed buy the Titanium wrap and I do have the SS ties.

Joe
    LED fender lighting

Spyder Garage

Default Primary Only, or how much

Buckeye Bleau, and or others that have done this to their RT's. Do you just remove the primary (Catalytic converter) and wrap it?, I'm adding an Akrapovic Sport Silencer this spring and considering doing this as well.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Buckeye Bleau, and or others that have done this to their RT's. Do you just remove the primary (Catalytic converter) and wrap it?, I'm adding an Akrapovic Sport Silencer this spring and considering doing this as well.
    Dave,

If you do this I have a roll of the titanium wrap that you can have. It worked great on my Harley.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Les, I'll gladly accept that! we'll keep in touch when the spyders can see the roads around here....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I am planning on wrapping the exhaust pipes on my 2013 RT-L.
    Why ??

Spyder Garage

Further Heat reduction under the bike, when I'm doing stop and go or "Parade" driving, the scoops become ineffective, and of all the reading I've done on wrapping the exhaust, those having completed it have all said less heat under their feet (legs and thighs) after the wrap. It's a relatively inexpensive, mechanically simple task, with the proper spring removal tools.
    I've already been under my spyder and checked out the primary and it's springs and am willing to try it if it keeps the riders position a bit cooler.
    And I don't have a '14 or later with the improved front blowing radiator exhaust, mine still blows back.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default wrapping it

When I removed my " cat " and replaced it with the Y pipe ... I removed all the pipes from the muffler forward to the engine ..... I then wrapped with a good quality " Heat Wrap " ......... for me it was more about the savaging effect it provides ................... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Why ??
    Less heat in the engine compartment

Reduces the amount of heat on the fuel tank

Reduces heat on your body where applicable (right foot & front of the seat)

Reduces sound/engine noise

Theoretically increases exhaust flow

Reduced heat will help engine components last longer (vacuum hoses, ignition components, etc.

Spyder Garage

Yea, what he said...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why ??
    i have 2 idencital spyder s wraped the first one rode several rides with the laser thermo along checked all over no change so I didn’t go through with the hassle for the second bike , I wanted it to work but no real change
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Only experience I helped a bud wrap pipes on his Brute 4wheeler & don't know what brand wrap it was came with whatever exhaust mod he got anyway we did not soak ithched like crazy for few daysSUCKED. Same day we also applied pre-cut heat reflective tape to some areas (inside face of Tupperware & areas of fuel tank)in addition to the high temp spray. It was a good kit came with stainless hose clamps, thought of adding bailing wire, but with enough overlap & the clamps in right place it held tight & had no need

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    ...... with the laser thermo along checked all over no change.....
    Yeah, but what temps did you check, where did you check them, & how did you check them??

Exhaust pipes take a very short time to radiate &/or shed heat into the surrounding atmosphere & components, so checking temps even just a few minutes after stopping probably isn't going to show too much variation pre & post wrapping; but checking the difference in external pipe temps while the engine is still running or immediately after stopping will - unless you haven't wrapped the pipes properly or they aren't wrapped in heat shielding material!

However, the Cat Converter is effectively a choke point designed to create & trap exhaust gas heat in the catalytic honeycomb so that any unburnt fuel will react with the catalyst & not be allowed past, so if you still have a catalytic converter fitted, that's where most of the heat from the exhaust gases will be trapped & not too much of that should get passed along into the pipes or gases afterwards; but if you have a cat eliminator & your pipes are wrapped properly from the cyl heads right thru to the end of the cat eliminator, then most of the exhaust gas heat should make it to the final exhaust outlet, where pre & post wrapping gas temps should be noticeably different.... with the same 'unless' proviso's as above!

Similarly for the radiant heat coming from the pipes themselves between the heads & the cat converter; wrapped properly there, the radiant heat they put out is going to be significantly reduced....(& therefore the heat transferred into the surrounding components, tupperware, & your feet etc) - if that heat is not reduced, then either you've done a really poor wrapping job, or you've wrapped the pipes in something that's NOT intended for heat reduction...

Or could it be that the Laws of Physics have changed??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I am sure that those that install a cat delete have wrapped that but I would not wrap the cat itself. As for me, I still have the cat, so I am wrapping back to it and then stopping.

This will take it to the mid-point of the Byke and start dumping heat and noise after that.

Joe
    LED fender lighting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Further Heat reduction under the bike,
    OK.

Just be aware that the wrap will make the temperature of the pipes inside the wrap go WAY UP, probably.
    That can result in "burning out" the pipes/muffler a lot sooner than normal.

I don't know if this will apply to your situation or not.

Spyder Garage

Easy Rider and others, I will be wrapping from the heads back to the Akropovic Sport silencer and looks like I'll be using the Titanium wrap that Les is hooking me up with. And based on what folks that have used it (Les and Mike (mmiehe) and others) say, I'm trusting that it makes enough of a difference to be worth my time. It's a 2013 and if I burn out my Cat a little earlier, I replace that with a Cat delete from Pitbull Powersports (Seems to be the only Cat delete for '13's available)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

OK.

Just be aware that the wrap will make the temperature of the pipes inside the wrap go WAY UP, probably.
    That can result in "burning out" the pipes/muffler a lot sooner than normal.

I don't know if this will apply to your situation or not.
    Theoretically this is true as it keeps the exhaust heat inside the pipe instead of radiating it to the engine compartment, fuel tank, etc. But I have not found it to be detrimental to the CAT.

Do Not wrap the CAT! That would be a very bad idea. Getting rid of it is a better idea.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Post EXHAUST WRAP

OK, THIS HAS PEAKED MY INTREST. I LIKE THE IDEA OF THE CAT DELETE,I HAVE A 13 RT AND CANT SEEM TO FIND THE CORRECT PRIMARY PIPE REPLACEMENT AT PITBULL PRODUCTS.HOW DOES THIS EFFECT THE COMPUTERS? WILL I GET CHECK ENGINE LITES FROM O2 SENSORS? DOES THIS REQUIRE ANY SORT OF REFLASH? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Chewy. This one. Not sure why it’s listed three times. (Oh, I get it now. There’s a separate page for each Spyder model even though it’s the same part) But anyway;

https://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.co...atalogId=-3774

buy two slip joint gaskets, also:

https://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.co...Id=-3774&fpg=1

answer to your other questions are No effect. It will readjust. No, and No.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-02-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BajaRon;1340428...Do Not wrap the CAT! That would be a very bad idea. Getting rid of it is a better idea.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You get rid of a lot more BTUs if you take it off rather than trying to insulate it.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Doug

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

THANKS SNOWBELT SPYDER,THIS HELPS ALOT.THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND.I,M A A NEWBIE AN THIS IS A GREAT FORUM. HAPPY SPYDERING