Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default LASER WHEEL ALIGNMENT

I'm going to build my own laser wheel alignment kit. Can someone point me in the right direction regarding good magnetic base lasers. Must be accurate over a said distance. Don't want to spend heaps. Thanks.
    Last edited by treva; 03-26-2018 at 03:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by treva View Post
    I'm going to build my own laser wheel alignment kit. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as cheap/good magnetic base lasers. Thanks.
    Cheap and good generally don't coexist. You have my best regarding your undertaking. Good luck and have fun, keep us advised your results.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Cheap and good generally don't coexist. You have my best regarding your undertaking. Good luck and have fun, keep us advised your results.
    I hear what you say so I edited it.

Spyder Garage

Default magnets ?

are the " lasers " going to mount right to the wheels ? ( I think you are going to mount them a different way ) ... 40 to 70 dollars is in the field of the not so cheap , cheap lasers I would think

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use johnson laser levels bought from northern tool. They are the cheapest you can get and still be able to adjust the lasers. You will want to verify the laser accuracy before doing your alignment. There are videos on youtube showing how. I use my own laser alignment equipment with perfect results.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    are the " lasers " going to mount right to the wheels ? ( I think you are going to mount them a different way ) ... 40 to 70 dollars is in the field of the not so cheap , cheap lasers I would think
    Yes, mounted on a steel plate which is attached to the front discs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I use johnson laser levels bought from northern tool. They are the cheapest you can get and still be able to adjust the lasers. You will want to verify the laser accuracy before doing your alignment. There are videos on youtube showing how. I use my own laser alignment equipment with perfect results.
    Thanks JTB, I will certainly look at the johnson levels & good on you for doing your own alignment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The laser alignments that are being commercially performed; are actually pretty inexpensive. While I applaud ingenuity: I also have to question your motives for this exercise...
    The folks that have developed these processes, have spent lots of effort, time, and money.
    Are you looking for a way to simply undercut them?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default One thing missing....

As mentiioned on many of the DIY laser alignment projects is the fact you still need to get into the system with BUDS to re-set the angle sensor. You may have a friendly dealer that will help you out or charge a bit less than a laser alignment would cost you.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are a set of good lasers and how to check them and also how I check and Align on my Spyder. They will tell you on here you are wasting time and money and you will need BUDs reset afterwards and it is not correct. It sure changed the handling and ride on mind. I am not taking it anywhere I would be afraid they will change it. They sure won't tell you it is right.

2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    As mentiioned on many of the DIY laser alignment projects is the fact you still need to get into the system with BUDS to re-set the angle sensor. You may have a friendly dealer that will help you out or charge a bit less than a laser alignment would cost you.
    Seems like penny wise and dollar foolish
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Seems like penny wise and dollar foolish
    I got to omit I am not very smart because I don't know what you mean.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I got to omit I am not very smart because I don't know what you mean.
    Just that you're likely to spend more than you save with this.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Just that you're likely to spend more than you save with this.
    I have put new car tires on it, balanced them all, Doc's belt tensioner, realigned and set the tension on the belt, laser aligned it, bleed the brakes and it handles and rides like a dream. At 80 mile an hour on a smooth highway let loose of the handles bars it stays straight for long distance. Lock the brakes down it does not pull either way. In four months I put over 7000 miles on it and over 500 since these things were done. It shows no codes. When I purchased it two people had owned and they did not like it because it wander all over the road had vibration and keep taking it to one of the local dealers and was charging them a arm & leg very time it went back. Dealer said there was nothing wrong with it. The last guy that had it consigned it to the Honda dealer I had been buying Gold Wings from. They called me and gave me a good trade in for my 2015 Honda F6B. They told me it did not ride or handle very good but knew I could straighten it out. I know you don't think I am very smart and I know you have a lot more education than I have but I have been a mechanic, machinist, tool & die maker and in manufacturing management all my life. NOW YOU SAY I'AM LIKELY TO SPEND MORE MONEY THAN I AM GOING TO SAVE. I love this Spyder to much to go back to the Honda F6B. This board is really good to get information and help but there is a feel people on that try to discourage people from doing things their self's. First thing that always comes up if you do that you're need to go to a dealer and have BUDs reset. It took me a month before I got courage to bleed my own brakes. Again this board is great there is people on it that will help and keep you from doing what you shouldn't and will tell you how to get around it. I do try to purchase from the supporting venders.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been a mechanic, machinist, tool & die maker and in manufacturing management all my life. NOW YOU SAY I'AM LIKELY TO SPEND MORE MONEY THAN I AM GOING TO SAVE. I love this Spyder to much to go back to the Honda F6B. This board is really good to get information and help but there is a feel people on that try to discourage people from doing things their self's. First thing that always comes up if you do that you're need to go to a dealer and have BUDs reset. It took me a month before I got courage to bleed my own brakes. Again this board is great there is people on it that will help and keep you from doing what you shouldn't and will tell you how to get around it.
    Then you shouldn't have any trouble sourcing the parts you need. Good luck with it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The laser alignments that are being commercially performed; are actually pretty inexpensive. While I applaud ingenuity: I also have to question your motives for this exercise...
    The folks that have developed these processes, have spent lots of effort, time, and money.
    Are you looking for a way to simply undercut them?

I think he lives in the outback. Probably not too many Spyder laser aligning people around him.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I think he lives in the outback. Probably not too many Spyder laser aligning people around him.
    Okay: That's a reason that makes sense.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

ok, you set the air pressure in all 3 tires. you check and/or set belt tension/alignment. then you set up your guides and attach the lasers. all of this is in relation to the rear of the rear tire? if the front of the rear tire is kicked one way or the other due to belt alignment then the bike is still going to track down the road "doglegged", correct? seems to me the rear wheel would need to be aligned with the engine drive pulley or squared in the swingarm in order for all this to be totally accurate. how to do it I have no idea. i'm splitting hairs here but to me it just makes sense. of course i'm prolly wrong.

Spyder Garage

Address states QLD. I think that means Queensland Australia.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Buds reset

You will only need to do a Buds reset to zero if you change the handle bar position. If you align the wheels to the handle bar setting as it is before making adjustments. Unless for some reason the bars are off center. It will still be zeroed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It isn't that outback we are just plain Mid Westerns.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I get a kick out of been able to do things myself. This laser kit is for my self. Thanks gerald37 for the videos & the other positive posts.
    Last edited by treva; 03-26-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    ok, you set the air pressure in all 3 tires. you check and/or set belt tension/alignment. then you set up your guides and attach the lasers. all of this is in relation to the rear of the rear tire? if the front of the rear tire is kicked one way or the other due to belt alignment then the bike is still going to track down the road "doglegged", correct? seems to me the rear wheel would need to be aligned with the engine drive pulley or squared in the swingarm in order for all this to be totally accurate. how to do it I have no idea. i'm splitting hairs here but to me it just makes sense. of course i'm prolly wrong.
    This will be my last post on laser alignment. When I corrected the belt tension and alignment I did square it in the sing arm. I do have a manual. I am not as stupid as you people think I am. My Spyder handles and rides perfectly it does not track down the road "doglegged" it does not pull either way, dose not pull when braking, no vibrations. The two people that owned it before that put the first 10,000 miles had it a number of times to the dealer and they could not make it handle right. The first owner told me the mechanic told him he did not know to much about Spyder's. They were a Honda dealer and had just the Spyder line not full Can Am line he had never been to training. I sure am not taking it back to them. You guys are not going to scare me out of owning a Spyder. In fact after this summer if my health holes out i am thing about a new one. I am 80 years old so I never know. On this Web Site I will never answer or try to help anybody again. Anybody that would like information may sent me a private message. I don't usually get this upset but it just seems like several on here just are trying to find some wrong and the reason I come on here was for help not criticism.
    Last edited by gerald37; 03-26-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This will be my last post on laser alignment. When I corrected the belt tension and alignment I did square it in the sing arm. I do have a manual. I am not as stupid as you people think I am. My Spyder handles and rides perfectly it does not track down the road "doglegged" it does not pull either way, dose not pull when braking, no vibrations. The two people that owned it before that put the first 10,000 miles had it a number of times to the dealer and they could not make it handle right. The first owner told me the mechanic told him he did not know to much about Spyder's. They were a Honda dealer and had just the Spyder line not full Can Am line he had never been to training. I sure am not taking it back to them. You guys are not going to scare me out of owning a Spyder. In fact after this summer if my health holes out i am thing about a new one. I am 80 years old so I never know. On this Web Site I will never answer or try to help anybody again. Anybody that would like information may sent me a private message. I don't usually get this upset but it just seems like several on here just are trying to find some wrong and the reason I come on here was for help not criticism.
    HEY THERE, nobody called you stupid! so you need to calm down. my post was basically in the form of a question. hence the ? marks. live long a prosper.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage