Thread: Oil change

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change

Well bought this with 7k Miles on it. I know nothing of when anything ya been done on it. So I bought a K&N filter and some 10/40 Motul 7100 oil. A gallon of it. Should be changing it his weekend. Now I just have to find out where the oil is on this thing. Lol

Spyder Garage

well,the smart ass answer is in the engine,but what is it that you have?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

From noticing you are browsing the GS/RS forums I suspect that's what you are talking about. Couple things on the oil change...the semi-auto (se5) uses two filters one for the engine and one for the transmission. The manual (sm5) uses one filter for the engine. Make sure the oil you have meets the specs for your model as some oils will not work well with a wet clutch. Where....twist those three rings holding that left cover and take a look...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry it’s a 2009 SE5 RS. My first spyder. Now I can get off my bf 2014 R1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    From noticing you are browsing the GS/RS forums I suspect that's what you are talking about. Couple things on the oil change...the semi-auto (se5) uses two filters one for the engine and one for the transmission. The manual (sm5) uses one filter for the engine. Make sure the oil you have meets the specs for your model as some oils will not work well with a wet clutch. Where....twist those three rings holding that left cover and take a look...
    So do people change the filter for the transmission each time they change the oil? It only has 7k Miles on it

Spyder Garage

Ok I ordered the Motul 7100 5/40 for the oil change and the K&N 559 oil filter. . Now it says oil/transmission filter. So do I buy 2 of the same filter?

Spyder Garage

Read pg 95-98 of the 2009 Spyder manual at this link:
    http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I know you ordered the 559 and 564 filter by K&N. Also 4liters of 5/40. Is that enough?

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    So do people change the filter for the transmission each time they change the oil? It only has 7k Miles on it
    On your model the filters are different. One (transmission) is longer than the other (engine) and though mine is manual I would change them both. The 998 engine oil change should be every 4600 miles which has been upped from 3000. Only the 1330 engines (2014 and above) have a recommended change at 9300.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    On your model the filters are different. One (transmission) is longer than the other (engine) and though mine is manual I would change them both. The 998 engine oil change should be every 4600 miles which has been upped from 3000. Only the 1330 engines (2014 and above) have a recommended change at 9300.
    I just ordered both from K&N. 559 and 564 model. Couldn’t find these O rings. But how bad can the original o ring that’s alreays on it. Only has 7k Miles on it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    I just ordered both from K&N. 559 and 564 model. Couldn’t find these O rings. But how bad can the original o ring that’s alreays on it. Only has 7k Miles on it
    It takes about 4.2 quarts to change the oil and the SE model is real picky when the oil gets low in them.
    I would also recommend the oem filters. I'm sure K&N are good, but have seen some of their filters go bad. None in the Spyders but some of their spin on filters. Just make sure your oil is a motorcycle oil and rated for wet clutches.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    It takes about 4.2 quarts to change the oil and the SE model is real picky when the oil gets low in them.
    I would also recommend the oem filters. I'm sure K&N are good, but have seen some of their filters go bad. None in the Spyders but some of their spin on filters. Just make sure your oil is a motorcycle oil and rated for wet clutches.
    David
    Yea it’s the same oil I use in my high performance bike that uses a wet clutch

Spyder Garage

The SE5 transmission originally came with a short transmission oil filter. Most have been retrofitted with the long filter. You will need to find out which one you have. I have the long one. I'm at work right now so I can't go out and measure it to let you know what the difference between the two is.

What part of SC are you in?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I would be very careful using the Motul oil in your 998 Spyder. The wet clutch in that model is VERY Picky as to what oil you use. The API ratings are OK (API SL/SH/SG). But the JASO MA rating is a bit low. You are much safer using a JASO rating of MA2. If the clutch begins to slip you don't have long before you'll need to replace it. Some have caught clutch slippage early, changed out the oil and been OK. But many have not been so fortunate.

The K&N filters are very high quality. I have never heard of a filter failure with any of the aftermarket filters. All of the Spyder filter failures I am aware of were from the original BRP factory filters. Which no longer exist.

I carry the seal kits if you need one. But reusing the existing seals/washers is fine as long as they are in good condition.

Last edited by BajaRon; 02-28-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I’m in The upstate area. Also the 5/40 7100 is MA2